Wiki Posts
Search

Spain help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Spain help

My teenage daughter is going to be an exchange student in Alicante on the Costa Blanca next summer. The rest of the family is planning on meeting her over there on the tail end and spending a week or 2 in Spain. I am sad to report that I haven't been to Spain in many years. It seems like Spain doesn't get a lot of love on this forum, but I was hoping to get a little assistance here.

1) What are the top hotels in Barcelona?
2) What are the top hotels in Madrid?
3) Are there any top notch coastal resorts?

Thanks so much folks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You find a lot vos the search...

Madrid is difficult, as the former best option MO Ritz seems totally worn down. Stayed years ago at IC, also nothing to return.

Barcelona Mandarin Oriental, even if I'm not a big fan.

Coast: Hope Finca Cortesin, will see in 2 days.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I recently grappled with a couple of these choices as well.

For Madrid, I didn't like the location of Villa Magna (we're not interested in shopping, far more interested in sightseeing) so went with an Exec Suite at the Westin.

For Barcelona, I wanted to be in/near the Gothic Quarter, narrowed our options down to Hotel Neri, Hotel Mercer and The Serras, and went with The Serras.

After December, I'll be able to report back.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
For Barcelona, take a look at the new Almanac Barcelona. Good location near the Majestic and MO, contemporary design. Book with Travel Leaders Select amenities:
  • Complimentary Breakfast
  • Free WiFi
  • 30 minute massage for two
  • upgrade if available
  • early check-in, late check-out if available
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are plenty of threads on both Barcelona and Madrid on this forum. To find then, use the search function on the right side, go to advanced search and do two "title only" searhes; one on Bardelona and another on Madrid. Then you can pick the thread most relevant to you.

I suggest this thread going forward be limited to coastal resorts, not including any in Barcelona.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and rravel
obscure2k, offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:23 am

I have already booked a bunch of domestic flights on IB for next April (Easter holiday). Let’s say that the IB 90k Avios was a good incentive to use this as a grand tour of Spain

We have multiple cities included but did not get around booking our hotels yet. I will make sure to update in this thread.

I would think that you could also keep in mind that Spain in general is very well connected (trains and short flights).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:49 am

It's a little off topic, but you should check out the motorcycle sidecar tour of Barcelona. So much fun. You can google it.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Unfortunately after my first night I can not confirm Finca Cortesin is top notch. I will report.......
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Unfortunately after my first night I can not confirm Finca Cortesin is top notch. I will report.......
Oh no, I had been getting excited about that one! Thanks for the early report.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
Oh no, I had been getting excited about that one! Thanks for the early report.
Probably it's still the best to find but today they made me angry....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
In Madrid, the Westin Palace is excellent and has a great location across from the Prado museum. But do go to the Ritz, almost across the street, for a drink in their outdoor area.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked out at Finca Cortesin today. Still not enthusiastic but overall it was a good stay. I liked the suite and the resort itself. Very nice place. What I disliked was thhe balcony which lacked privacy, the closure of the beach club every tuesday and the breakfast. Also don't really know why I paid for the sea view. If you come for a beach go elsewhere, it's useless (unless you like jellyfish marks). Beach club itself is nice. Service was with minor points very good, while restaurants were mediocre (OK, Kubiki Raw was good) but quite expensive.

I will report more details in a few days.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Checked out at Finca Cortesin today. Still not enthusiastic but overall it was a good stay. I liked the suite and the resort itself. Very nice place. What I disliked was thhe balcony which lacked privacy, the closure of the beach club every tuesday and the breakfast. Also don't really know why I paid for the sea view. If you come for a beach go elsewhere, it's useless (unless you like jellyfish marks). Beach club itself is nice. Service was with minor points very good, while restaurants were mediocre (OK, Kubiki Raw was good) but quite expensive.

I will report more details in a few days.
Thanks for the review. That is certainly not a ringing endorsement especially of the beach itself. I have looked a little at Belmond la Residencia on Mallorca as well but it appears to be sold out on a lot of dates next summer and the rates appear to be astronomical anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
Thanks for the review. That is certainly not a ringing endorsement especially of the beach itself. I have looked a little at Belmond la Residencia on Mallorca as well but it appears to be sold out on a lot of dates next summer and the rates appear to be astronomical anyway.
Stayed at La Residencia in 2015. Rates are astronomical indeed, the resort is totally overpriced in my eyes. Nevertheless itīs a nice resort. Personally I prefer Cap Rocat, quite unique.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Cap Rocat looks great but I don't think they allow children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.