Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Winter Aman Trip (French Alps and Sri Lanka)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Aman Trip (French Alps and Sri Lanka)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:15 pm

Amanwella is located on the East side and is secluded from the city area with a beach, makes a nice quiet retreat. Surrounded by coconut palms and golden sandy beach. The areas diverse attractions include: tea plantations to treks to temple visits. It is a full-on secluded holiday resort.Only 3 hour drive from Colombo, artistic lay-out with a majestic swimming pool. One of the most gorgeous oceanfront properties.
  1. The resort does not have a gym or spa
  2. It can get difficult to sleep after sunrise, take shades if you are a light sleeper
  3. Plunge pools doesn’t come with a view
  4. The sea can be rough and best suited for experienced swimmers
  5. The beach is not private
Amangalla is located on the west end and is closer to city life, adventure and landmarks. Is donned with 19th century artefacts, carefully restored provides a historic, romantic ambience in the UNESCO world heritage site of Fort Galle. With elegant and historic interiors, it feels like a tranquil. The property is small nut smartly laid-out. Don’t miss the afternoon tea made with finest Ceylon varieties.
  1. Doesnot have an elevator
  2. The rooms do not have TVs
Both Amanwella and Amangalla can be combined, however both properties offer completely difference experiences. Amanwella is secluded holiday in a resort with Air taxi or helicopter service can be arranged from Colombo to Tangalle or to Dickwella, fifteen minutes from the hotel, alternatively, hiring a car from the airport is another way to get to the hotel.Shangri-La Colombo is also on the west end of the island. It is definitely a good location for both luxury and city exploring. You can get better value & services for your money at the Shangri-La.There is a 22 day Aman & Private Jet Expedition happening in April 2019, thought that may interest you.good luck with your trip
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:35 pm

I'm also a bit wary of Wella, given the reviews on service & food.

That said, Ernst (from Kila) is currently spending 6 weeks at Wella. So hopefully they've realized the issue and he'll be able to help sort things...
FlyerEC and Musken like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by scented
Pulo would be amazing, I’m not really fond of January in Marrakech, can be hit and miss weather wise.
FWIW the 17°C I was referring to was during our stay mid March (!). Even the average for January is a bit higher (I think 19 tot 20). But for sure it's not a hot destination in January.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:20 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by nmuva98

That said, Ernst (from Kila) is currently spending 6 weeks at Wella. So hopefully they've realized the issue and he'll be able to help sort things...
This is correct. Shane will also be in Bhutan I believe.

Also wary about Wella - Cape Weligama next door is about 2/3rds the price so definitely worth considering. Not sure Amanwella is the best Aman to really splurge at when that difference (by staying at Cape Weligama) could be saved for something else in the future/on the same trip.

Have heard good stuff about Amangalla though.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Luxe Travel
Amanwella is located on the East side and is secluded from the city area with a beach, makes a nice quiet retreat. Surrounded by coconut palms and golden sandy beach. The areas diverse attractions include: tea plantations to treks to temple visits. It is a full-on secluded holiday resort.Only 3 hour drive from Colombo, artistic lay-out with a majestic swimming pool. One of the most gorgeous oceanfront properties.
  1. The resort does not have a gym or spa
  2. It can get difficult to sleep after sunrise, take shades if you are a light sleeper
  3. Plunge pools doesn’t come with a view
  4. The sea can be rough and best suited for experienced swimmers
  5. The beach is not private
Amangalla is located on the west end and is closer to city life, adventure and landmarks. Is donned with 19th century artefacts, carefully restored provides a historic, romantic ambience in the UNESCO world heritage site of Fort Galle. With elegant and historic interiors, it feels like a tranquil. The property is small nut smartly laid-out. Don’t miss the afternoon tea made with finest Ceylon varieties.
  1. Doesnot have an elevator
  2. The rooms do not have TVs
Both Amanwella and Amangalla can be combined, however both properties offer completely difference experiences. Amanwella is secluded holiday in a resort with Air taxi or helicopter service can be arranged from Colombo to Tangalle or to Dickwella, fifteen minutes from the hotel, alternatively, hiring a car from the airport is another way to get to the hotel.Shangri-La Colombo is also on the west end of the island. It is definitely a good location for both luxury and city exploring. You can get better value & services for your money at the Shangri-La.There is a 22 day Aman & Private Jet Expedition happening in April 2019, thought that may interest you.good luck with your trip
The non-private beach, lack of TV's, lack of elevators, and lack of a gym/spa aren't bad cons for me. I'll survive.

I looked at that Private Jet Expedition and there aren't enough stops at places I haven't been to for me to even consider it. If the trip was Tokyo > Yangyun > Dayan > Kora > Taka > Sara > Pulo I would have said yes in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by nmuva98

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Also wary about Wella - Cape Weligama next door is about 2/3rds the price so definitely worth considering. Not sure Amanwella is the best Aman to really splurge at when that difference (by staying at Cape Weligama) could be saved for something else in the future/on the same trip.

Have heard good stuff about Amangalla though.
Even if they might not be top tier Amans, I'd still like to experience them. Price isn't at all a concern for us. My fiancé and I are going to save Pulo for a later trip to combine with Sara and Taka. Hearing that Jena won't be hot, we will save that for later as well. I think we're pretty set on doing Galla and Wella on this trip after we leave France, and we'll book 3 nights at Shangri-La Colombo on the front end.

For Galla, we'll likely stay in the Amangalla Suite.

For Wella I'm deciding between Ocean Hill Pool Suite and Ocean Pool Suite. Any reasons to pick one over the other?

We are definitely going to whale watching and would love to visit Yatagala. Does anyone know if there are good snorkelling/SCUBA opportunities at either Galla or Wella? Furthermore, are there any other "must-do" activities in Sri Lanka, either in Colombo or while at Galla and Wella?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:24 am

It's worth saying (again) that a visit to Sri Lanka would not be complete without a stay at Ceylon Tea Trails. An absolutely world class experience in every way.
FlyerEC, SanDiego1K and MicSanToro like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:43 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator Review
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Thread Open. Keep posts civil

Thread is open again. Reminder: Keep the posts civil. I have deleted posts because they rudely questioned the OP's integrity.
Further posts of that nature will be deleted.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
BOStonTravels and MicSanToro like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
It's worth saying (again) that a visit to Sri Lanka would not be complete without a stay at Ceylon Tea Trails. An absolutely world class experience in every way.
From my initial Google search, that looks absolutely breathtaking (looks far better than both Galla and Wella, honestly). My fiancé and I both agree we need to include a stay there and time to explore the area! Which bungalow do you recommneMy fiancé was doing some research of her own and found that cazenove + loyd has a 5 day Flying Safari (Helicopter), and is inquiring more with them. Everything through Virtuoso is either too long or not over our dates.

We're now thinking of doing a 13 day (no flying safari) or 18 day (with flying safari) Sri Lanka trip rather than the original 9 day trip we had in mind. The idea on the table right now is:

Fly ZUR (via DXB) to CMB

3d/4n in Colombo (Shangri-La Colombo)

5d Flying Safari through cazenove + loyd departing from Colombo, ending in Galle (Tentative)

2d/3n in Galle (Amangalla)

3d/4n in Tangalle (Amanwella)

5d/5n Horton Plains National Park and surrounding area (Ceylon Tea Trails)

Return to Colombo and fly CMB (via HKG) to YYZ

---

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:11 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

The only thing that you might want to change is

CMB - KHI - YYZ on Pakistan International Airlines - BCN on Air Canada.

Since there aren't many reviews online of PIA, a nice review would be helpful.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 am

MicSanToro - We stayed five nights in Summerville Bungalow, mainly because of the photos we could take of the pool and the lake. We lunched at Dunkeld which has higher views and we also went to Castlereagh. They all seem fairly wonderful. If we went again we'd probably stay six nights dividing our time between Dunkeld and Tientsin which has a strange chinois design but lacks a lake view. We had a car and driver from Colombo to Kandy, then took the train to Hatton. From Tea Trails we took a seaplane transfer down to Galle. The seaplane service is excellent and I think you can get one direct from Colombo. The roads are fascinating - but slow and fairly hair-raising.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:07 am
Community Director Emerita

Here are some Tea Trail reports:

Trip report - Sri Lanka

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16872080-post35.html - old, but I found elsie's knowledge of Tea Trails very helpful

Tea Trails, Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Trip Report: Tea Trails, Amanwella, Amangalla

These threads are old, but so are the bungalows. Where they are sited and their room configurations won't change with time. Thus, you will find useful information in these threads. We loved our stay at Tea Trails. I'd happily return.
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
The only thing that you might want to change is

CMB - KHI - YYZ on Pakistan International Airlines - BCN on Air Canada.

Since there aren't many reviews online of PIA, a nice review would be helpful.
My fiancé vetoed PIA the moment I mentioned it.
She says we’re either flying a) CMB to ICN to YYZ Korean First Class (never flown Korean before) or b) CMB to HKG to ORD Cathay Pacific Business/First (then ORD back to YYZ on American).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MicSanToro

My fiancé vetoed PIA the moment I mentioned it.
She says we’re either flying a) CMB to ICN to YYZ Korean First Class (never flown Korean before) or b) CMB to HKG to ORD Cathay Pacific Business/First (then ORD back to YYZ on American).
KE F is a very nice product.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
KE F is a very nice product.
That’s what we’ve heard. As much as we like CX F, going with that would mean three flights rather than two, and only one in F (the other two in Business, one CX and one AA). If we go with KE F, it’s only one stop, and both legs are in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.