Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Trip Report: Baur Au Lac (Zurich)

BAUR AU LAC

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

BAUR AU LAC

Talstrasse 1 ZURICH CH 8001 Zurich, CH 8001

Trip Report: Baur Au Lac (Zurich) (11 Photos)

BAUR AU LAC

The Baur Au Lac is an elegant old world hotel with a rich history in Zurich.

On our way to Africa, we had a 16 hour layover in Zurich (6am to 10pm). We looked for a hotel in the city that would offer us a day rate, and the Baur Au Lac had an ideal location on Lake Zurich and within walking distance to Old Town. With help from DavidO, we were quoted one night’s rate for guaranteed use during the hours we needed. 

Hotel ExteriorP1070655.JPG

Hotel LobbyP1070633.JPG

Pavillon RestaurantP1070639.JPG

Service

What follows is a description of the hotel’s perfect handling of our unusual reservation. 

We landed at 6:15am where we were promptly greeted by the Baur Au Lac driver and whisked away in a Mercedes sedan. We were checked in by 7:00am and after freshening up a bit in our upgraded suite, we enjoyed our Virtuoso breakfast at Restaurant Pavillon followed by a nap. By midday, we had mapped out a walk through the Old Town with the concierge. Our day in Zurich included beautiful lake and mountain vistas, medieval architecture, cobblestone alleyways, lots of chocolate tasting, and the purchase of our little boy’s first Swiss Army Knife. We returned to the hotel in time for a shower and an early dinner outdoors at the Rive Gauche Terrasse where the pastry chef had a pre-ordered birthday cake waiting for me. We were able to return to our suite once more before the Mercedes sedan arrived promptly at 7:45pm to take us to the airport. Our final invoice even included the Virtuoso $100 food and beverage credit without our having to ask for it.

The Baur Au Lac never missed a beat and made all of these arrangements seem effortless. Staff members were friendly, generally knew who we were and knew of our tight schedule.

Old Town ZurichP1070709.JPG

Lake Zurich from HotelP1070730.JPG

Swiss Army KnifeP1070782.JPG

One Bedroom River Suite

Since this was just a day room for us we booked a Deluxe Double, but the hotel was kind enough to upgrade us to a River Suite in celebration of my birthday. The suite had a generous marble entrance foyer, bedroom, separate living room, and a large marble bathroom with separate shower, deep soaking tub and water closet; all with a Schanzengraben Canal view. 

The River Suite also had special children’s amenities and a welcome treat for our son.

River Suite Living RoomP1070622.JPG

Children's Welcome AmenityP1070616.JPG

Dining

Breakfast in the elegant Pavillon consisted of a cold buffet with fresh pastries, meats, yummy local yogurts, cheeses and eggs made to order. We had dinner at the Rive Gauche Terrasse where the standouts were the Agnolotti with Jerusalem artichokes and my layered coconut/vanilla birthday cake.

Rive Gauche Terrasse (photo by Baur Au Lac)
Baur-au-Lac-TerrasseRiveGauche.jpg

Birthday CakeP1070746.JPG

Opportunities for Improvement

Nothing we can recall. :-) It was a perfectly executed short stay!

OrchidsP1070644.JPG

Trip Report: Baur Au Lac (Zurich)

Would you like to write a review on the BAUR AU LAC?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Cool birthday-cake^
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report, photos, and ideas!

i wonder if independent 'true' luxury hotels are better re offering things like '24 hour stays' vs luxury chains that dont publish offering it
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks, @Ericka! What a lovely 1 day respite for you!

If you don't mind sharing, what were the highlights for your single day touring around Zurich? Any particulars you'd recommend? We will be there for 2 nights (really only 1 full day) in Oct.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, @Ericka! What a lovely 1 day respite for you!

If you don't mind sharing, what were the highlights for your single day touring around Zurich? Any particulars you'd recommend? We will be there for 2 nights (really only 1 full day) in Oct.
Well...we basically just walked around. LOL! That’s all you can do with a few hours in the city. It’s nice you will have a whole day.

Old Town is lovely and there look to be some nice restaurants, raclette, etc. The chocolate shops (even the ever present Sprungli) are amazing and the Swiss version of the macaron is pretty good as well. IIRC, there are many options to see lake Zurich. Ferries mostly, but the hotel should be able to recommend a nice private charter. And there is high end shopping of course. Are you in the market for a new watch?!?

Sorry I can’t offer more specifics. We just didn’t have time to DO all that much.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka
Well...we basically just walked around. LOL! That’s all you can do with a few hours in the city. It’s nice you will have a whole day.

Old Town is lovely and there look to be some nice restaurants, raclette, etc. The chocolate shops (even the ever present Sprungli) are amazing and the Swiss version of the macaron is pretty good as well. IIRC, there are many options to see lake Zurich. Ferries mostly, but the hotel should be able to recommend a nice private charter. And there is high end shopping of course. Are you in the market for a new watch?!?

Sorry I can’t offer more specifics. We just didn’t have time to DO all that much.
Actually, that is quite helpful--thanks! That sounds more or less what we already had planned and which the concierge at Atlantis had told us would be best. We wanted a carefree day, anyway,. I was told it wouldn't take much more than a few hours to really walk around the old town portion of Zurich. So you may not have missed much even in your short visit.

I just didn't know if there were any shops in particular that you thought we shouldn't miss. I don't even wear a watch any more, mostly, picking up the habit from my students for checking my mobile phone instead. Darn youngsters.

We also were considering a ride down to Lake Lucerne and maybe a lunch or late snack at the Park Hotel Vitznau--based on so many amazing reviews for it during the off-season. Not sure we will have time, but that's our only other goal for the day.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

There might be a nice train option for Lucerne.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:16 pm

We also were considering a ride down to Lake Lucerne and maybe a lunch or late snack at the Park Hotel Vitznau--based on so many amazing reviews for it during the off-season. Not sure we will have time, but that's our only other goal for the day.
We stayed in Baur au Lac in July prior to going down to Park Hotel Vitznau (PHV). We just took an Uber and it took around 50 minutes - just be mindful you cannot get an Uber on return, so would need to ask PHV to call a taxi for you.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We stayed in Baur au Lac in July prior to going down to Park Hotel Vitznau (PHV). We just took an Uber and it took around 50 minutes - just be mindful you cannot get an Uber on return, so would need to ask PHV to call a taxi for you.
We are doing same route, same hotels, in a few weeks. Was going to take the train but Uber sounds way better.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
If you are going to Lucerne (well worth it), consider going up to Mount Rigi. It would be a whole day trip (but very doable) starting in Zurich to Lucerne, taking the boat to Vitznau and up to Rigi. Coming back the other way with a train connection back to Zurich.

Of course spending the night on top of Rigi is a magical experience (but far far from being a luxury accommodation).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Member

Hi Erica, I always aporeciate your reviews. When you say you booked through DavidO, do you mean Pere Ourisman himself or do you mean the Ourisman agency run by his daughter Jessica?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.