Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Terrible experience......
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Do, next time, try a Thames-view suite at the Savoy. Ask for Fifth or sixth floor.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

I wanted to update the thread and let people know about the follow-up and the outcome. As I said earlier I wrote to the GM, Director of Guest Relations, Guest Relations Manager and the reservations department the day after we checked out. I highlighted all of the accommodation maintenance issues and the service related issues we had encountered. To his credit, the GM came back to me within around 12 hours - apologised profusely and refunded our entire stay without quibble. He then asked to catch up with me either in person or by phone when he was back in the country. We spoke on the phone and I think he was genuinely sorry about all the issues we had encountered and was determined that they would not happen to another guest. He had already sent some senior staff to walk through the suites with all the points I raised and they confirmed them. He is meeting with them later today to discuss what they are going to do. He was also going to go up himself and look at them and he couldn't understand how key maintenance points had been missed. He also told me that they are working to secure vital capital investment in the property and have a lot of maintenance planned but this will not take place until 2020. We agreed to keep in touch regarding future stays at any Dorchester Collection property.

I'm happy with the outcome and I feel like Dorchester Collection have made suitable amends. I will say this, I always think that the true measure of a company is how well they deal with things when they go wrong and for that I can't really fault Dorchester Collection. They messed up but they held their hands up and put it right. I did feedback to the GM that the one good aspect of our stay was a particular member of staff and had it not been for her I would have just walked out.

Do I think the Dorchester is a luxury hotel? Not right now. There's a lot of things they need to sort out before I would consider staying again but I would give it another chance if I could be assured things had been put right.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That's a better ending to one horrendous stay.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
That's a better ending to one horrendous stay.
I agree. Also, someone asked on the thread whether this was a stay organised through a TA and did they advise me that I shouldn't stay at the Dorchester. Yes, it was through a travel agent and they didn't say anything but I guess I have a slightly different relationship with my travel agent than some people do. I don't really expect them to 'advise' me so to speak and I don't blame them at all for what happened. They were just reserving what I had asked them to which is generally how we work together and I'm happy for the relationship to continue in that way. I'm always happy to deal with issues if and when they arise which is very few and far between and I'm pretty easy to please. I won't put up with a shoddy hard product though!
Aventine and United747 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:23 am

I feel that this is a pretty good ending. Not mitigating the issues, but commitment to the customer and a vision for where they need to go.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I feel that this is a pretty good ending. Not mitigating the issues, but commitment to the customer and a vision for where they need to go.
Me too. I did get a sense from speaking with the GM that he was shocked the suite was in such poor condition and he didn’t try and debate any of the points in my complaint. He just wanted to reach out, put things right and try to restore my faith in the brand. In the end I was impressed with how my complaint was handled and came away thinking that my business is valued and what I experienced is not the norm.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jonjparr

Me too. I did get a sense from speaking with the GM that he was shocked the suite was in such poor condition and he didn’t try and debate any of the points in my complaint. He just wanted to reach out, put things right and try to restore my faith in the brand. In the end I was impressed with how my complaint was handled and came away thinking that my business is valued and what I experienced is not the norm.
That's the way it should be. Sometimes, it is harder to see from an outside perspective in hotels. Maybe no one complained before or thought of anything about the shabby conditions. I remember bringing up a similarly dilapidated suite at PH Tokyo and being dismissive as it was matter of fact. Their lips said sorry but not really sorry.
obscure2k and jp-mco like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

While the stay was Horror the response is absulutely 5 star. So there is hope
jp-mco, Aventine and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended

I'm surprised the GM was not aware of the wear and tear. I would have thought that it is standard procedure for the housekeeping manager to note and report any wear and tear when they release the room for new guests. Waiting for a guest to complain to find out about it sounds pretty sad, in terms of attention to detail.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Sadly does not surprise me. I stayed once in 2011 and even back then, not knowing really anything about luxury hotels, I didn't like it in the slightest. It never gets spoken about as a competitor to any of the true London luxury properties. Interestingly, neither does Claridges these days, but at least they have invested into significant refurbishments. The Ritz is also well past its sell by date. The old dogs have had their day.
The Ritz is living off being a tourist attraction and nothing much more. It's restaurant, I would have to say is considerably good, but not the rest of the hotel.

Interestingly, I was quite delighted during my stay at the Dorchester, though it felt a lot like a playground for Arab Royals
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I'm surprised the GM was not aware of the wear and tear. I would have thought that it is standard procedure for the housekeeping manager to note and report any wear and tear when they release the room for new guests. Waiting for a guest to complain to find out about it sounds pretty sad, in terms of attention to detail.
I agree, I am quite surprised to be reading of such a stay, especially at a hotel of this calibre.

That said, I recalled speaking to an Aman manager who specifically mentioned that the rooms/suites are touched upped and are cleared of any wear and tear every time a guest checks out. Unfortunately, not a lot of hotels does this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I agree, I am quite surprised to be reading of such a stay, especially at a hotel of this calibre.

That said, I recalled speaking to an Aman manager who specifically mentioned that the rooms/suites are touched upped and are cleared of any wear and tear every time a guest checks out. Unfortunately, not a lot of hotels does this.
Depending on the type of wear and tear I´m not so sure.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Depending on the type of wear and tear I´m not so sure.
I would think while not every nick can be repaired ASAP and some hotels clearly haven't budgeted the funding to keep things up to snuff, the GM would surely know about the shortcomings and not be surprised.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Ithe GM would surely know about the shortcomings
That´s my opinion too. Especially if it´s not something which occured in a short period (wine on the carpet, broken furniture etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.