FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1925384-best-superluxury-resorts-caribbean-central-america.html)

noreservations Aug 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America?

Hi FT, sorry if there are other posts like this that I couldn't find. Would love to just see those threads and delete this one.

I was hoping to go all-out and stay at a superluxury beach resort in September, something easy to get to from the Northeast. If it's part of the big chains to take advantage of status, great, but not a requirement (Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Platinum).

Thanks in advance!

Kagehitokiri Aug 15, 2018 4:45 pm

amanera, amanyara
parrot cay, jumby bay

general budget would allow recommendations of specific accommodations

Nizar Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

I always thought Eden Rock in St Barths fitted into the "superluxury" category even though admittedly i have never changed. Perhaps its because of the prices they charge.

Has anyone stayed ? What were your thoughts ?

DSI Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Eden Rock is not super luxury. We were just before they were destroyed. We'll see if Amanyara is super luxury as we're headed there almost as I write, but I suspect it'll be more normal as the reviews indicate on this forum. I'd think of places like Mosquito Island, Over Yonder, Pemrboke House if you're really looking to go big. The largest collection of super luxury seems to be in the Bahamas, but if you're on a tight budget (as I am), Aman may be a good choice since the beach looks absolutely stunning and it's a fraction of the price of top end of the market.

Pausanias Aug 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by noreservations (Post 30086278)

I was hoping to go all-out and stay at a superluxury beach resort in September, something easy to get to from the Northeast. If it's part of the big chains to take advantage of status, great, but not a requirement (Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Platinum).

Thanks in advance!

In September-October several resorts are closed because of a big risk of hurricanes and if not a hurricane then lousy weather. I'd never go to this area Sep-Oct.

noreservations Aug 16, 2018 5:39 am

Oh wow didn't even think about hurricane season. That explains why the few places I looked were closed. Just assumed it was off season.

I'm really in need of unplugging and getting some beach time, and the SO wants massages and access to good food. If only Hawaii weren't so far away.

Would love to stay above my normal range of Hiltons and Sheratons, and break into the St Regis and Ritz-Carlton range. Guess I was thinking $500/night would be in the zone, not quite ready for the Fregate and Nacker Island level resorts yet.

Kagehitokiri Aug 16, 2018 6:00 am

parrot cay works, could hope for upgrade or ask at checkin (private island)

should consider amanera though with free night and full board, considering recent reports, and all large villa. direct is 5th free, virtuoso/FHR are 4th free. edit: forgot seasonal closure was early/long this year for golf course etc. low season next year is $1200 before free night, so $900 after 4th free, so far only showing june in online reservations, no sept yet.

jumby rates are all inclusive, depending on alcohol and other F&B spend (private island)

all above rates nowhere near (fregate &) necker

necker was bookable via virgin atlantic miles
i'd only recommend last minute low occupancy
(last year kept adding last minute availability)

for islands in general, check out st barts as noted
eden rock reopening dec 22, like many others
also 'new' FS - anguilla and 1BR stewarts at nevis

re hawaii, offers much less variety vs caribbean etc

moskito island private rentals will not be 'high' rate
(top at places i mentioned are more than pembroke)

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 30090459)
Cap Juluca on Anguilla

reopens nov 17, presumably refurb'ed
though not sure re planned new rooms

st regis punta mita beachfront room over budget but should be able to upgrade award booking

KatW Aug 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Cap Juluca on Anguilla

bhrubin Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by noreservations (Post 30088744)
Oh wow didn't even think about hurricane season. That explains why the few places I looked were closed. Just assumed it was off season.

I'm really in need of unplugging and getting some beach time, and the SO wants massages and access to good food. If only Hawaii weren't so far away.

Would love to stay above my normal range of Hiltons and Sheratons, and break into the St Regis and Ritz-Carlton range. Guess I was thinking $500/night would be in the zone, not quite ready for the Fregate and Nacker Island level resorts yet.

So maybe consider the St Regis Punta Mita north of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Not too long a flight, and certainly shorter than going to Hawaii. Plus that resort is nicer than just about any resort in Hawaii! It will be low season in September, too. Much less risk of hurricanes, normally--though this winter is suspected to be a possible El Nino--meaning the Pacific might see more hurricanes and the Caribbean might see fewer.

KatW Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo

chinmoylad Aug 20, 2018 6:10 am

Has anyone been to Pink Sands Club Canouan? Mandarin Oriental took over this property a few months back but have now officially announced it (covered ony my site: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/mand...the-caribbean/).

The former Reservations Manager at Amanpulo is now the Reservations Manager here so I was talking to her. Although not sure about Mandarin Oriental's ability to run resorts, looks like an interesting place - the suites/villas certainly look fabulous (and while I'm not a fan of the pink, I think they've done a good job of implementing the original Pink Sands Club design it seems).
She said the coral around the area is pretty good. Of course the beach doesn't compare to Amanpulo, but the island (and resort) does have multiple beach areas.
Rates do seem on the high end, but that's the Caribbean for you. 4h45m direct flight from New York, the airport takes private jets too.

Has anyone been?

mumum17 Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30091155)
So maybe consider the St Regis Punta Mita north of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Not too long a flight, and certainly shorter than going to Hawaii. Plus that resort is nicer than just about any resort in Hawaii! It will be low season in September, too. Much less risk of hurricanes, normally--though this winter is suspected to be a possible El Nino--meaning the Pacific might see more hurricanes and the Caribbean might see fewer.

I like this suggestion and the one from KatW. I personally have experienced better service, food at the high end resorts in Mexico/central America than in the Caribbean (Personally was not that wowed with Amanyara).

To add to these two great suggestions, try Hacienda Altagracia in Costa Rica (Unfortunately Mukul, in Nicaragua may still be temporarily closed). There are some great options in Los Cabos too...resorts are great (based on reviews)but not too sure if the beach can compare.

chinmoylad Aug 20, 2018 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mumum17 (Post 30104596)
I like this suggestion and the one from KatW. I personally have experienced better service, food at the high end resorts in Mexico/central America than in the Caribbean (Personally was not that wowed with Amanyara).

To add to these two great suggestions, try Hacienda Altagracia in Costa Rica (Unfortunately Mukul, in Nicaragua may still be temporarily closed).

Wow - I like the look of Hacienda Altagracia.

Along the same lines but sticking with Mexico and Punta Mita, Imanta would be a great boutique choice too.

gegarrenton Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mumum17 (Post 30104596)
I personally have experienced better service, food at the high end resorts in Mexico/central America than in the Caribbean (Personally was not that wowed with Amanyara).

The Caribbean by nature is a more rustic place, which is part of the overall feel of the place. IMO it's somewhat self defeating to try and get a super high end resort experience there, the charm is in it's down home atmosphere.

Staniel Cay is probably my favorite, though it's Bahamas and not Caribbean proper.

bhrubin Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30104610)
Wow - I like the look of Hacienda Altagracia.

Along the same lines but sticking with Mexico and Punta Mita, Imanta would be a great boutique choice too.

Imanta, while beautiful and in a spectacular location, has some service flaws which might make one cautious.