Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Member

Altagracia does look appealing but it is inland so no beach/ocean. Agreed Mexico/Central America much better than Caribbean on service.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by KatW
Altagracia does look appealing but it is inland so no beach/ocean. Agreed Mexico/Central America much better than Caribbean on service.

Agreed, no beach/ocean...I kind of cheated there .
However, truly an exceptional place and we did not miss the beach...amazing activities and great place to recharge.

Gegarrenton makes a valid point, the Caribbean's pull for me is the laid back aura that they sell. We did have a great time at Goldeneye in Jamaica. Stayed at a lagoon villa. They have the Flemming villia there too. Great service rustic luxury.

Last edited by mumum17; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Has anyone been to Pink Sands Club Canouan? Mandarin Oriental took over this property a few months back but have now officially announced it (covered ony my site: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/mand...the-caribbean/).

The former Reservations Manager at Amanpulo is now the Reservations Manager here so I was talking to her. Although not sure about Mandarin Oriental's ability to run resorts, looks like an interesting place - the suites/villas certainly look fabulous (and while I'm not a fan of the pink, I think they've done a good job of implementing the original Pink Sands Club design it seems).
She said the coral around the area is pretty good. Of course the beach doesn't compare to Amanpulo, but the island (and resort) does have multiple beach areas.
Rates do seem on the high end, but that's the Caribbean for you. 4h45m direct flight from New York, the airport takes private jets too.

Has anyone been?
Was there a few years ago when it was a RAFFLES and without a doubt one of the finest if not the finest resort to which I 've been anywhere in the world (and I have been all over).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Amanera is usually closed between Mid Aug - Mid Nov. But agree that it can offer great value during Season of Discovery promotional periods. Unfortunately, doesn't fit OP's timeframe and still much higher than $500/night.

Amanyara is lovely because Turks and Caicos is lovely, but the service really is sub-par and while everyone knows that's a Caribbean thing, it's still tough to wait 45 minutes for a glass of beverage. Also, Serge is gone so there's no GM at the moment.

And Necker Island being something exclusive and maybe "super-luxury" (at least in pricing) only has limited weeks (aka Celebration Weeks) when you can simply book a room vs. the entire island.
For 2018:
20th October for 7 nights
27th October for 7 nights
17th November for 3, 4 or 7 nights

Last edited by BESVISOR; Aug 20, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Member

>$500/nt

Does not go very far in the Caribbean.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:36 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by worldspan
Was there a few years ago when it was a RAFFLES and without a doubt one of the finest if not the finest resort to which I 've been anywhere in the world (and I have been all over).
Thanks for the feedback.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:37 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by KatW
>$500/nt

Does not go very far in the Caribbean.
Yep - probably better with Mexico.

@OP - might want to try something like Papapya Playa Project but maybe no the correct forum for this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:40 am

Sad to reflect that two of my three favourite Caribbean resorts remain closed because of last year's hurricanes. Caneel Bay in the USVI; and Little Dix Bay in the BVI. I'm sure the buildings will be rebuilt in a great style but I do wonder about the beaches. Both hotels had wonderful beaches and Caneel Bay had at least five on the property.

I think my all-time Caribbean fave, La Samanna on St Martin, re-opens for business in December.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:05 am

Nayara Springs in La Fortune, Costa Rica
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
totally agree with this assessment although it is very quiet here - we went for almost two weeks back in December and it was just (unofficially) transitioning to MO.....however, the golf course is spectacular (and my husband has played all around the world at the finest courses), the service was impeccable and it was very relaxing. Happy to share more details if you decide to go.....
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

parrot cay is private island from $500 before free night for a regular room

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Necker Island
only has limited weeks (aka Celebration Weeks) when you can simply book a room
2017 had many last minute weeks, i recommend when low occupancy
KatW and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:35 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Not exactly “super luxury” but does anyone know what is going on with StR Bahia Beach?

Quick search says John Paulson and co decided to put $60 million in refurbishments (much better looking in my opinion) and is supposed to reopen late October. However, it being almost September and reservations not being up has me thinking there is a delay. anyone have a scoop on what’s going on?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Not exactly “super luxury” but does anyone know what is going on with StR Bahia Beach?

Quick search says John Paulson and co decided to put $60 million in refurbishments (much better looking in my opinion) and is supposed to reopen late October. However, it being almost September and reservations not being up has me thinking there is a delay. anyone have a scoop on what’s going on?
I'm told it will open in late Oct or Nov (as well as the RC Reserve Dorado Beach). Confidence from my SPG-now-Marriott sources is pretty high.

I am holding a reservation for 5 nights at the StR Bahia Beach for mid February for a work/leisure trip. (I'd also had a booking, since canceled, for my bday in Jan 2019, so the reservations are being accepted.) The $60m renovation is supposed to have updated rooms/suites and public spaces, as well as enhancements for the pool area. (I'd hoped they might add an adults only pool, but I've not heard that was a part of the reno/update.)

I was just at the StR Bahia Beach in Feb 2017 and had a truly spectacular time--despite even the lack of an adults-only pool.

Reservations may be impacted by the recent merged account IT chaos of the Starwood-Marriott systems, so I wouldn't assume that they aren't being accepted.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by DSI
Eden Rock is not super luxury. We were just before they were destroyed. We'll see if Amanyara is super luxury as we're headed there almost as I write, but I suspect it'll be more normal as the reviews indicate on this forum. I'd think of places like Mosquito Island, Over Yonder, Pemrboke House if you're really looking to go big. The largest collection of super luxury seems to be in the Bahamas, but if you're on a tight budget (as I am), Aman may be a good choice since the beach looks absolutely stunning and it's a fraction of the price of top end of the market.
DSI, when will you be there. We are arriving on Sept 5.

Bob
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR

Amanyara is lovely because Turks and Caicos is lovely, but the service really is sub-par and while everyone knows that's a Caribbean thing, it's still tough to wait 45 minutes for a glass of beverage. Also, Serge is gone so there's no GM at the moment.

s
Serge is no longer at Amanyara? He was wonderful...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.