Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best superluxury resorts in Caribbean/Central America?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Whatever.

The Casita price listed above of 1825USD is for advance purchase, no refund, no grace, nada. The actual lowest rate is 2002USD.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 4, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did not include 22% and $3pp fees. seeing this on june 13 >
Breakfast in Anguilla [name of rate]
Cancel by 4PM 15 days prior or pay 50 pct of full stay plus tax
i read that to mean they only keep the deposit if one does not cancel before 15 days out. i may be wrong. i may easily be missing something on belmond web reservations. above is the only rate i am seeing, not seeing anything with better or worse cancellation period.

to clarify, the rates i posted had the terms quoted above, for 1 night
jun = 15 day cancel
same 15 day cancel , 3 nt min = "advance purchase" (10% off) ; "a taste of anguilla"
jan feb = 30 day cancel

advance purchase
Cancel by 4PM 15 days prior or pay 50 pct of full stay plus tax
Full prepayment deposit no tax required at time of booking

i read that as allowing cancel with refund

re nonrefundable rates in general, can book very last minute when required

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 6, 2019 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Member

Yes, but not if advance purchase at time of booking. No refund. You get a break on cost per night but higher risk for folk as are the two of us with medical issues.
ABG, offerendum and LinLant like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Booked at Cap Juluca! For a beachfront one-bedroom suite with private pool for a week in May.

SEVEN nights for 1/2 the cost of FIVE nights at the Signature villa at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo but torturous flights with a connection each way. So difficult to get to Caribbean from SF Bay Area. The extra $3K for biz air fare is covered and then some.

And we get a golf cart!

Thanks to Bevisor for the upgrade at booking. Also, I love this phrase on the invoice: "VIP Repeat Guests."

Will be using American's Five Star Service for both connections, a first for us.
bhrubin, 1readyset2go and LinLant like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Broke my leg last month in Zihuatanejo so had to cancel Cap Juluca in May.

Now considering booking in August but changing venue to Jumby Bay in Antigua. ANU offers much better flight connections from SFO and just one plane change sans the bother of a launch or helicopter connection on to AXA. Jumby Bay is an Oetker property which appeals and we can book a one-bedroom cottage with private pool for around $2500/nt including full board (plus pm tea) and alcoholic and non drinks.

Somewhat reluctant to commit, unsure of Jim's travel readiness then.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:32 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'm not sure i'd fly that far to be in Antigua in August.
Jumby's annual closure is 24 August I believe
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ABG
I'm not sure i'd fly that far to be in Antigua in August.
Jumby's annual closure is 24 August I believe
Hhmm. The website is allowing booking through August but not in September. But I will check otherwise, thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:48 pm

Highest chance of hurricane is mid August to mid October. I would be nervous about the heat and the weather then.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Yes, I am aware of hurricane season (lived in New Orleans for five years). Heat not a problem for us. Realistically, I only will pay Caribbean rates in low season.

Originally Posted by LinLant
Highest chance of hurricane is mid August to mid October. I would be nervous about the heat and the weather then.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:33 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Back in Turks for a week of vacation...

Just walked out onto our private beach at Parrot Cay - 1 Bedroom Beach Villa.
The sand is noticeably more soft/fine and white than what I recall from the island of Prov. where all the other resorts are (Amanyara, Grace Bay Club, etc...).
Not sure if it's the lighting or what, but it looks more amazing than even Maldives, Brando and Amanpulo's beaches. I'm a bit surprised. Will go analyze it a bit more tomorrow and report back.

Loving it so far!
KatW, United747, bhrubin and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Back in Turks for a week of vacation...

Just walked out onto our private beach at Parrot Cay - 1 Bedroom Beach Villa.
The sand is noticeably more soft/fine and white than what I recall from the island of Prov. where all the other resorts are (Amanyara, Grace Bay Club, etc...).
Not sure if it's the lighting or what, but it looks more amazing than even Maldives, Brando and Amanpulo's beaches. I'm a bit surprised. Will go analyze it a bit more tomorrow and report back.

Loving it so far!
Enjoy! Our friends (outside DC) just spent another week there on T&C at the Beach House--and return to T&C year after year. They really love it. If only it weren't a nightmare to reach from the West Coast...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:08 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Enjoy! Our friends (outside DC) just spent another week there on T&C at the Beach House--and return to T&C year after year. They really love it. If only it weren't a nightmare to reach from the West Coast...
Indeed, I wish it was easier from the West Coast. It's always a pain for clients coming from CA. But still worth it, though Water is so fantastic here.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Indeed, I wish it was easier from the West Coast. It's always a pain for clients coming from CA. But still worth it, though Water is so fantastic here.
I can appreciate the water off Baja, Hawaii, and Mexico just fine...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Hi! How do you like Parrot Cay so far? We head to T&C once a year - but alternate between Grace Bay Club (for the kids) and Amanyara (for us, the kids are a little bored here). For whatever reason, we have never stayed at Parrot Cay - and I have always wondered about the property...are you going to stay at Parrot Cay the whole time or will you be jumping around...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:05 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Jaykay05
Hi! How do you like Parrot Cay so far? We head to T&C once a year - but alternate between Grace Bay Club (for the kids) and Amanyara (for us, the kids are a little bored here). For whatever reason, we have never stayed at Parrot Cay - and I have always wondered about the property...are you going to stay at Parrot Cay the whole time or will you be jumping around...
Hi!

Really enjoying it so far
Beach is definitely better here than Providenciales. (Grace Bay and Yara's beach).
Walking directly (on the beach) from our villa to lunch at the Beach Club reminded me of being at Amanpulo's beach casitas. Very convenient.

We have been to Turks a few times and have never really bothered with checking out Parrot Cay (having heard the beach was better) due to the hard product not being as nice as Yara's, mostly. Although, I really think Amanyara is more about the villas than couples in a pavilion.
But I decided to visit this time mainly due to Tapa (from Aman) just moved to manage COMO North America and I was eager to see what changes are coming. Just had a long conversation with him about all that's in the pipe and it sounds very promising. Resort will close between Sep - early Nov to build new villas and adult pool by the beach. I think the sand here is undoubtedly better than Providenciales. Once the one bedroom villas are renovated and new ones are up, I think this might trump Yara for me. And I'll start suggest clients to give this a strong consideration when it comes to Caribbean. You can't have direct access to the beach at Yara unless you're in the 4 bedroom villas (but boy are they stunning). As much as we are enjoying our One Bedroom Beach Villa, it does feel dated (but in a very cozy shack way). I'd say skip this Summer and wait till the renovation of the One Bedrooms are completed or if you're traveling as a family/group, there are new multi bedroom villas to book (now). I don't think I would come here unless I was booking a beach villa, though. The rooms are tucked too far behind, in my opinion.

Our villa butler (from Bali) has been fantastic. I much prefer Asian hospitality vs. Caribbean. A good number of the staff (maybe 50%) here are from Indonesia, so this helps.

I'm here till Sunday then moving to Yara. I haven't been back since Serge was still GM. Now that Ian has moved to Yara, I'm sure things will improve.
So the point of this trip is really to see how the change in management has/going to effect both properties and if I should start suggesting both more heavily to clients interested in Turks/Caribbean. Especially clients who prefers a more exclusive type of luxury.

If you want to see the place, I'm posting my stay on my Stories via Instagram. Just look me up: @BESVISOR
Feel free to PM me with any additional/specific questions. Cheers!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Jul 11, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.