FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1925359-report-my-stay-aman-sveti-stefan.html)

livefromtuscany Aug 16, 2018 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 30088215)
All this is obviously unacceptable . . . but perhaps not surprising? This is August after all, height of the season, with resultant pressures on everything. Don't forget that even Macmyday found major service lapses at his favourite Park Hotel Vitznau in Switzerland, so maybe chaos in Montenegro is only to be expected. The lesson here is simple - don't go to the Med at the height of the season!

It's peak season alright, but guests are also paying peak rates in this period. And any hotel which takes on more than they can handle with their infrastructure is doing something fundamentally wrong. The issues described here are completely unacceptable, and the lack of service recovery is shocking.

Aventine Aug 16, 2018 4:41 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident (Post 30088622)
It's peak season alright, but guests are also paying peak rates in this period. And any hotel which takes on more than they can handle with their infrastructure is doing something fundamentally wrong. The issues described here are completely unacceptable, and the lack of service recovery is shocking.

I get the feeling that the staff attitude problems would be the same with 1 guest or a full house.

Kagehitokiri Aug 16, 2018 5:55 am

appreciate the two reports! hope there is response and improvement

callmedtop was there last august under peak rates, as were some others here (but maybe recent press?) perhaps if there were staff from amanruya last summer that may have helped, but clearly there have been changes (re pools partly labeled adults only starting to allow children, may have changed after 2014 corporate sale, there was 2014 report)

"aman" service could not exist without a level of dependence on GM, as is case with independent properties, and there are quotes from GMs and possibly zecha saying he had GMs run properties like they were the owner. some here are regulars at both FS and aman. i suspect most of them would not like to see FS service replace aman service.

this is still maintained under several veterans and several external hires.

Aventine Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30088782)

"aman" service could not exist without a level of dependence on GM, as is case with independent properties, and there are quotes from GMs and possibly zecha saying he had GMs run properties like they were the owner. some here are regulars at both FS and aman. i suspect most of them would not like to see FS service replace aman service.

I think that's what attracted most of us in the beginning. The GM as a pseudo owner and personally taking care of all of us.

mumum17 Aug 16, 2018 7:12 am

i couldn’t agree with you more...Regardless that it’s an Aman ( I don’t know why it seems that we here run to find excuses if it’s an Aman issue compared to another property), you are paying premium and I would expect premium service. I don’t rate my stays depending on low season or not and don’t see many instances where we give a break/excuse for poor service at other properties...therefore I personally will continue to compare all equally, as my money/spending is the same.
i appreciate the honest review by the op and personally will remove this location from my wish list...Amanzoe here I come.

Epicura Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am

Well Sven will be delighted ;).

Let me say that I also find these 2 recent reports rather shocking. Instead of posting my comments, I was assured in the meantime that Mr Tapa would take care of the issues. I really hope this is the case. After all this is a public forum and I really tried to take care of that.

FWIW, I don’t think Amanruya took care of Aman SS staff whilst being closed. On the other hand, apart from Zoe, Ruya is alive and kicking, so might also take Ruya into account. One of my clients just returned from a most happy holiday ar Ruya and my own trip back in May was outstanding.

Good luck anyway to OP and Damaxer. So sorry to hear about your experiences!

Kagehitokiri Aug 16, 2018 7:48 am

dolphin announced plan to sell everything by end of next year including zoe, while ruya didnt open last year so hard to tell what future holds without more information

some staff (only management / GM ?) moved during ruya closure and jena strikes

thanks Epicura and others

callmedtop Aug 16, 2018 7:52 am

Yes, I was there last August in peak season with 90% occupancy, and service was excellent. Not that it is an excuse regardless. I will also add that these “local” photoshoots of non-guests was not happening. That is a new development and a terrible one at that.

Kagehitokiri Aug 16, 2018 7:58 am

large guest events (not buyout) have increased including at pulo and kila (and yara?)

offerendum Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am

It's peak season alright, but guests are also paying peak rates in this period.

Indeed! I try to avoid peak season but if I charge double prices or so I have in doubt also to double my staff or if I don´t find proper staff I can´t charge double (or whatever) rates. Also the hotel is relative small, so season shouldn´t be an issue.

People are ready to pay very high rates for Amans. If you claim such prices you can expect and the hotel has to deliver only one thing: the best.

BENLEE Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Sound like a stay in hell rather than a luxury resort. Felt terrible for the OP. Makes one question what is the point to pay so much more to stay at a "branded" name like Aman when the actual delivery can't be guaranteed and can be inconsistent.

Kagehitokiri Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm

many luxury brand big box and grand dame hotels have prices as high or higher than aman, especially in higher seasons which are not limited to holidays. almost all amans have seen (many) others open in same areas, many others definitely not much lower rates.

though most aman did once have flatter rates, vs 'discounted' low and higher peak

offerendum Aug 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30090647)
many luxury brand big box and grand dame hotels have prices as high or higher than aman, especially in higher seasons which are not limited to holidays. almost all amans have seen (many) others open in same areas, many others definitely not much lower rates.

though most aman did once have flatter rates, vs 'discounted' low and higher peak

Of course there are equally priced hotels (resorts in Europe often offers rates which you think you buy the whole property) but I would absolutely expect the same.

BESVISOR Aug 17, 2018 6:55 am

Due concerns over these issues and having 3 sets of clients visiting next month, I decided to connected with Tapa (GM/Regional Director) about these issues. He was very open to my concerns (listed the issues) and assured me that they are looking into this to ensure the clients won't suffer the same experience.

Thanks for calling this out again, @GetSetJetSet ... Still, sorry about your stay, though! I experienced something similar this Summer at Amanfayun as well. Very high hopes, booked their top two bedroom villa and it was a huge let down. GM was/is in transition so it was a mess without proper Aman leadership. But in the end, just lucky to be able to travel and fortunately, more good to excellent stays than poor ones.

Cheers!

callmedtop Aug 17, 2018 6:56 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 30093314)
Due concerns over these issues and having 3 sets of clients visiting next month, I decided to connected with Tapa (GM/Regional Director) about these issues. He was very open to my concerns and assured me that they are looking into this and ensuring the clients won't suffer the same experience.

Thanks for calling this out again, @GetSetJetSet ... Still, sorry about your stay, though! I experienced something similar this Summer at Amanfayun as well. Very high hopes, booked their top two bedroom villa and it was a huge let down. GM is transition so it was a mess without proper Aman leadership. But in the end, just lucky to be able to travel and fortunately, more good to excellent stays than poor ones.

Cheers!

This puts me zero for two on recommendations - I loved Sveti Stefan and Amanfayun in 2017!

Ironically I found Amanjiwo highly overrated :eek: