FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1925359-report-my-stay-aman-sveti-stefan.html)

GetSetJetSet Aug 15, 2018 10:37 am

Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan

I was shocked because I see nothing but glowing reviews on here. I don't know if the glowing reviews are people not wanting to disagree with the popular opinion, emperor's new clothes style, or if this was really an anomaly. I will say that the room (#45 was lovely) and all the staff in the bars/restaurants made an effort. The front desk, management and house keeping however, were horrible. I can go into more detail if needed, but a basic list of complaints:

Day 1
- Car dropped us in front, porters took bags as we walked to the island. Luggage piece was was left in a puddle all clothing soaked. No apology even.
- After check in, pile of pubes found in room 45 bathroom. Asked for maids, they cleaned but no apology.
- On check in, blinking error light on aircon. AirCon broken, guy came to verify it was broken but it was never fixed during entire stay.
- Passport taken not returned and never returned until we went to hassle them 12 hours later since they forgot they had it.
- My gf stepped on broken glass in the main pool on the island. The shard was on the bottom of the pool.
- In the Gym, all TV's broken on cardio equipment. Never fixed during our stay
- Was out of room 6-10pm, didn't do turndown until we got back, came into room then to inconvenience us.
- Left dirty clothes on the ground. House keeping never put them away, left them sitting in a pile for 3 days. I left them there just to see if they'd ever clean them up.
- Tried to close drain in the tub, bathtub drain fell off, and shower head leaked and wouldn't fully turn off.
- No one manning the spa desk to make appointments, couldn't find anyone to direct us to fitness from boat dock. They seemed perplexed we asked where fitness was, as if they didn't know there was a gym.

Day 2
- We asked for extra water day 1, when they finally cleaned, housekeeping inexplicably took away the extra waters.
- AirCon still not fixed
- Clothes still not picked up
- Cardio TV's still broken
- At lunch we learned of wasp infestation at all restaurants and food was terrible at the piazza restaurant. They had to burn coffee grounds to TRY to keep the wasps at bay, but it didn't work and they were relentless.
- Everything very slippery and dangerous, water sitting for days never mopped up.
- Turndown again not done while we were away. Waited until we returned late at night and we had to go elsewhere and wait while they "cleaned"

Day 3
- Wasp infested dinner, waiter admitted the entire island is infested, no disclosure and they haven't rectified the problem. He said in previous years they had to move breakfast from the terrace because of the wasps, but now the entire island is infested, both restaurants and they can't find the hives and eradicate them. This was VERY unpleasant, as there were swarms of wasps and no table was safe. Bad, overpriced food is one thing, bad, overpriced food with a side of wasps is another.

- Overcrowding everywhere due to selling day passes and letting outsiders use the restaurant. Often no spots available at all by the pool since there were so many people around. Outside guests letting their children run around the Milocer side pool naked or in dirty diapers. Far cry from the peace and solitude of other Aman properties.

This was so far below the standard of the Aman group that I was shocked. Honestly, the service was below the level we received at the Hilton in Podgorica. It's a lovely setting, but the management and service is abysmal. This was a lovely room on a lovely island with 3 star service and an unforgivable wasp infestation. Based on this stay, I would never return and I would (and have already) cautioned others not to waste their time and $ on this property. Curious to hear if anyone else has been this month.

Aventine Aug 15, 2018 10:52 am

Just wow. Sorry you had a horrible, terrible experience there. I think this takes the cake for worst Aman stay ever.

I would have needed a new room or suite after the pubes incident. That's simply not acceptable at any level of hotel, and, certainly one of this calibre and expense. I'm guessing no service recovery and very little empathy from management?

GetSetJetSet Aug 15, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30085806)
Just wow. Sorry you had a horrible, terrible experience there. I think this takes the cake for worst Aman stay ever.

I would have needed a new room or suite after the pubes incident. That's simply not acceptable at any level of hotel, and, certainly one of this calibre and expense. I'm guessing no service recovery and very little empathy from management?

Very little empathy and nothing changed after complaints. After this three day long comedy of errors, they misspelled my gf's name on her luggage tag (how hard is it to copy from a passport?). It was a perfect, hilarious end to a very regrettable stay.

bhrubin Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

Wow. Just wow. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I would have left early...and made them refund my stay. No air con? I've had luxury hotels move me and refund my nights for that ridiculous miscue alone.

I'd contact Aman corporate and ask for a refund of at least half your nights--if not your entire stay. Your innumerable examples of both things gone awry and things not remotely addressed/rectified by property management represents a clear and present danger to the Aman brand. That is NOT what you paid for. Aman clerarly didn't deliver by any standard. Your details show a complete disregard for your treatment by Aman. That is absolutely unacceptable. I've said it before: the new Aman regime doesn't always seem cognizant of what constitutes luxury level service and especially service RECOVERY. That used to be an Aman hallmark.

Don't enable Aman with your poor treatment; please contact Aman corporate and make them make good on this abject failure. They owe you a significant refund.

Your report means I won't ever bother to go there until I know (1) they refunded your stay or a good proportion thereof, (2) they permanently rectified the wasp problem, and (3) there is a new GM/leadership team in place.

gegarrenton Aug 15, 2018 11:36 am

Wowch. That's insane.

Aventine Aug 15, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30085831)
Very little empathy and nothing changed after complaints. After this three day long comedy of errors, they misspelled my gf's name on her luggage tag (how hard is it to copy from a passport?). It was a perfect, hilarious end to a very regrettable stay.

I'm surprised you lasted the full 3 days. I think I'd have gone after the pubes. Gross. They got their payment upfront too, right?

That is absolutely unacceptable. I've said it before: the new Aman regime doesn't always seem cognizant of what constitutes luxury level service and especially service RECOVERY. That used to be an Aman hallmark.
The King of Aircon is right! Definitely don't let the property or brand get away with such heinous service failures. I don't know how hot it was there but no Aircon is this heat wave of a summer should be a crime.

The wasps infestation is just a disaster and lawsuit waiting to happen if a guest gets stung and is deadly allergic. Not to mention wasp stings are not pretty things to happen on a very expensive trip. They're giant, painful and itchy red blobs.

GetSetJetSet Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

Just to be clear ONE of the aircon units in the room was broken, there were multiple units in the room so it remained cool. The temperature wasn't an issue. It was more that they never bothered to fix something they knew was broken. They did enough things wrong, don't want to make any individual piece look worse than it was. I will be writing to corporate.

Aventine Aug 15, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30086018)
Just to be clear ONE of the aircon units in the room was broken, there were multiple units in the room so it remained cool. The temperature wasn't an issue. It was more that they never bothered to fix something they knew was broken. They did enough things wrong, don't want to make any individual piece look worse than it was. I will be writing to corporate.

That GM should be held accountable. I hope you get a more contrite, empathetic and personal response than I did from the Japanese GM at Aman Tokyo.

bhrubin Aug 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30085982)
The King of Aircon is right!

:D

Hope you don't mind, but now I've taken that title for an addition to my FT signature.

damaxer91 Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30085742)
I was shocked because I see nothing but glowing reviews on here. I don't know if the glowing reviews are people not wanting to disagree with the popular opinion, emperor's new clothes style, or if this was really an anomaly. I will say that the room (#45 was lovely) and all the staff in the bars/restaurants made an effort. The front desk, management and house keeping however, were horrible. I can go into more detail if needed, but a basic list of complaints:

I am here now and very much agree with your sentiment. We love the hard product and agree about the F&B staff (Chef is wonderful) but pretty much everything else here is a bloody mess. I'm glad to see this post and know we aren't the only ones who feel this way....
  • We had sent an email in advance of the stay reminding them of some requests (nothing out of the ordinary). Pretty much all of them were completely ignored. They did rectify them pretty quickly once I reminded them though.
  • Most of the staff here is indifferent, if not rude. They seem to want to be elsewhere and make it quite clear. I understand the necessity of hiring locals, but it shouldn't be this way even if its a cultural thing.
  • Pool service consists of a "server" who makes it clear that he's just there to take lunch orders. He never offered water or anything else and got annoyed when we asked if he could help move an umbrella.
  • Turndown service literally just means your sheets are turned down and a gift placed in the middle of the bed. They wont as much as move something from the bed or even clean the room slightly. Even a Champagne Bucket with melted ice wasn't removed. Housekeeping during the day cleans the way you'd expect at a Holiday Inn Express on I-95.
  • Other than by the Executive Chef, we have not been addressed by name once. Even more bothersome if being constantly asked by security at the entrance if we are guests. Spa and beach attendants have no clue either.
  • Beach SERVICE consists of being handed a semi-cold bottle of water and nothing else. If you ask for menus you receive them but if you want to order something you need to shout across the beach to the attendants or go to the towel station to place the order.
  • Waited a half hour for a car to drive us from Spa back to the Island and nobody was willing to apologize or take blame.
  • Do not disturb sign in private sauna rooms at spa is constantly ignored by cleaning staff. They walk in without even a knock.
  • We were dropped off at boat dock without any instructions as to where Queens Beach was. The Security Guard just motioned in the general direction with his finger when we asked him how to get there.
Oh and the Wasps and Bees are EVERYWHERE. No respite from them whatsoever in any area where there is food or drink.

Overall, I'd have to say that its certainly been our most disappointing Aman stay and we'd even consider leaving if there was another good option nearby....

bhrubin Aug 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 30086214)
I am here now and very much agree with your sentiment. We love the hard product and agree about the F&B staff (Chef is wonderful) but pretty much everything else here is a bloody mess. I'm glad to see this post and know we aren't the only ones who feel this way....
  • We had sent an email in advance of the stay reminding them of some requests (nothing out of the ordinary). Pretty much all of them were completely ignored. They did rectify them pretty quickly once I reminded them though.
  • Most of the staff here is indifferent, if not rude. They seem to want to be elsewhere and make it quite clear. I understand the necessity of hiring locals, but it shouldn't be this way even if its a cultural thing.
  • Pool service consists of a "server" who makes it clear that he's just there to take lunch orders. He never offered water or anything else and got annoyed when we asked if he could help move an umbrella.
  • Turndown service literally just means your sheets are turned down and a gift placed in the middle of the bed. They wont as much as move something from the bed or even clean the room slightly. Even a Champagne Bucket with melted ice wasn't removed. Housekeeping during the day cleans the way you'd expect at a Holiday Inn Express on I-95.
  • Other than by the Executive Chef, we have not been addressed by name once. Even more bothersome if being constantly asked by security at the entrance if we are guests. Spa and beach attendants have no clue either.
  • Beach SERVICE consists of being handed a semi-cold bottle of water and nothing else. If you ask for menus you receive them but if you want to order something you need to shout across the beach to the attendants or go to the towel station to place the order.
  • Waited a half hour for a car to drive us from Spa back to the Island and nobody was willing to apologize or take blame.
  • Do not disturb sign in private sauna rooms at spa is constantly ignored by cleaning staff. They walk in without even a knock.
  • We were dropped off at boat dock without any instructions as to where Queens Beach was. The Security Guard just motioned in the general direction with his finger when we asked him how to get there.
Oh and the Wasps and Bees are EVERYWHERE. No respite from them whatsoever in any area where there is food or drink.

Overall, I'd have to say that its certainly been our most disappointing Aman stay and we'd even consider leaving if there was another good option nearby....

Geez. At least you both have each other as ammunition that these problems are endemic and not incidental. Something is rotten in the state of Montenegro.

I recommend insisting on speaking with the GM NOW. If the GM doesn't speak with you, offer you appropriate service recovery (a night's refund again?) and affect immediate changes for the better, then you should contact Aman corporate.

Who is the unimpressive GM at this Aman?

FlyingDoctorwu Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Wow that sounds incredibly incredibly awful. I can’t even think of a worse situation. My kid is at a summer camp in the woods and it’s probably a better setup....

i thiught the Tibbles were in charge there. I’ve never encountered them but have heard nothing but good about them....I can imagine Montenegrins aren’t super service oriented but this is inexcusable. There should at least be some sort of service recovery....

fdw

scented Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Interestingly, the GM is Tapa and his wife.... oh dear. This is not looking good.

Please report back what corporate says...

QPRfan Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm

-- --

gnargel Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 30086326)
i thiught the Tibbles were in charge there. I’ve never encountered them but have heard nothing but good about them....I can imagine Montenegrins aren’t super service oriented but this is inexcusable. There should at least be some sort of service recovery....

I am sure you did not have bad intentions, but... this negative Aman experience should not deter anyone from visiting Montenegro.

I spent some time in Montenegro, and everyone I met was really nice (and the country is really beautiful too!). The Aman may be disappointing, but visiting Montenegro itself is great!