Reload this Page >

Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan

Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan

Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:07 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Where were they before SS?
My only average stay at an Aman property was in April 2015 - Amanpulo. But I cannot remember who was the GM.
In fact they were managing Amanpulo until at least end of 2015. We had two fab stays at Amanpulo during their tenure, and interactions with both Jane and Tapa were fantastic - they were always present, responsive and caring, the epitome of perfect GMs. I find it very hard to believe that their work ethos would have declined so dramatically. Of course it's no excuse, but the Balkans are still a very difficult region for high-end hospitality in terms of staff education and morale....
FlyerEC, MSPeconomist and BESVISOR like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:46 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
It seems the OP hasn't emailed Tapa/Jane directly, which might explain the delay. Hopefully, that will now be sorted.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I was shocked because I see nothing but glowing reviews on here. I don't know if the glowing reviews are people not wanting to disagree with the popular opinion, emperor's new clothes style, or if this was really an anomaly. I will say that the room (#45 was lovely) and all the staff in the bars/restaurants made an effort. The front desk, management and house keeping however, were horrible. I can go into more detail if needed, but a basic list of complaints:

Day 1
- Car dropped us in front, porters took bags as we walked to the island. Luggage piece was was left in a puddle all clothing soaked. No apology even.
- After check in, pile of pubes found in room 45 bathroom. Asked for maids, they cleaned but no apology.
- On check in, blinking error light on aircon. AirCon broken, guy came to verify it was broken but it was never fixed during entire stay.
- Passport taken not returned and never returned until we went to hassle them 12 hours later since they forgot they had it.
- My gf stepped on broken glass in the main pool on the island. The shard was on the bottom of the pool.
- In the Gym, all TV's broken on cardio equipment. Never fixed during our stay
- Was out of room 6-10pm, didn't do turndown until we got back, came into room then to inconvenience us.
- Left dirty clothes on the ground. House keeping never put them away, left them sitting in a pile for 3 days. I left them there just to see if they'd ever clean them up.
- Tried to close drain in the tub, bathtub drain fell off, and shower head leaked and wouldn't fully turn off.
- No one manning the spa desk to make appointments, couldn't find anyone to direct us to fitness from boat dock. They seemed perplexed we asked where fitness was, as if they didn't know there was a gym.

Day 2
- We asked for extra water day 1, when they finally cleaned, housekeeping inexplicably took away the extra waters.
- AirCon still not fixed
- Clothes still not picked up
- Cardio TV's still broken
- At lunch we learned of wasp infestation at all restaurants and food was terrible at the piazza restaurant. They had to burn coffee grounds to TRY to keep the wasps at bay, but it didn't work and they were relentless.
- Everything very slippery and dangerous, water sitting for days never mopped up.
- Turndown again not done while we were away. Waited until we returned late at night and we had to go elsewhere and wait while they "cleaned"

Day 3
- Wasp infested dinner, waiter admitted the entire island is infested, no disclosure and they haven't rectified the problem. He said in previous years they had to move breakfast from the terrace because of the wasps, but now the entire island is infested, both restaurants and they can't find the hives and eradicate them. This was VERY unpleasant, as there were swarms of wasps and no table was safe. Bad, overpriced food is one thing, bad, overpriced food with a side of wasps is another.

- Overcrowding everywhere due to selling day passes and letting outsiders use the restaurant. Often no spots available at all by the pool since there were so many people around. Outside guests letting their children run around the Milocer side pool naked or in dirty diapers. Far cry from the peace and solitude of other Aman properties.

This was so far below the standard of the Aman group that I was shocked. Honestly, the service was below the level we received at the Hilton in Podgorica. It's a lovely setting, but the management and service is abysmal. This was a lovely room on a lovely island with 3 star service and an unforgivable wasp infestation. Based on this stay, I would never return and I would (and have already) cautioned others not to waste their time and $ on this property. Curious to hear if anyone else has been this month.
I just caught up with this and agree it was a horrible experience. Sadly, I think that this typifies some of the Amans these days - less so in Asia, but elsewhere, for sure. The early days of SS were superb, especially when Jean-Pierre Baratin opened the resort. Kevin Brooke went on to do a good job, but last time I was there, it did seem to have changed - Russian weddings, drones over the beach and a lack of direction throughout. As Pausanias says in a later post, he was there at the beginning of Aman in 1988 and it was wonderful (I was also there back then), but like him, Iwould not wish to be there at the end.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
This guy should be thrown overboard immediately! I never saw a member of staff smoking on duty and it´s absolutely unacceptable. I hate Smoking and don´t pay people to smoke in front of me during my vacation. Also his pose is not appropriate.
There are complains, that drones are flying over the property and at the same time a picture is published with the clear face of an employee. And than this picture is described as "awful", "disgusting" and it is said, that "this guy schould be thrown overboard immedieatly".

A guest has the right to be resepcted, but also employees - even in Montenegro - have the right to be respected, they are not slaves. In this case a good GM should defend his employees, even if he or she looses revenue. There might be some people, who don't like smoking, but this is no reason to publish such pictures, smoking is not a crime.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher
There are complains, that drones are flying over the property and at the same time a picture is published with the clear face of an employee. And than this picture is described as "awful", "disgusting" and it is said, that "this guy schould be thrown overboard immedieatly".

A guest has the right to be resepcted, but also employees - even in Montenegro - have the right to be respected, they are not slaves. In this case a good GM should defend his employees, even if he or she looses revenue. There might be some people, who don't like smoking, but this is no reason to publish such pictures, smoking is not a crime.
Oh my my.. you might want to rethink the use of the word slave in this context. Not really justified you know...

If you knew a thing about Aman, you’d know how they treat their team and guests alike. It is perfectly natural for many here to take a photo of various team members of Amans around the world doing what they love most, only in this case he is caught smoking. Don’t you think on his behalf there is also an element of lacking respect? Aside from health issues, don’t think it is very respectful to engage in such behavior in front of guests. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Since the GM has yet to reply at all, you cannot really comment on him and her either.

Generally I wish this would be resolved, as I remember J&T T from various stays and always fondly, in Aman fashion.
offerendum, FlyerEC, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher

No one called the guy disgusting or awful, only his behaviour. And this is absolutely justified in my eyes.

Also when I said he should be thrown overboard it was of course not serious, it was a joke.

When you say it´s not a crime to smoke it´s not 100% true in every country but that´s not the point. It is for most people inappropriate for hotel staff. If it would have been during my stay I would have complained and if I would be the responsible manager it would be a reason to fire this guy. And I wouldn´t have bad feelings about it for a second.

But back to the hotel: For me a stay so far didn´t work due to location (not too simple to reach), I always decided different. After all reviews I still think the hardware is well worth a visit and perhaps the price they claim.
FlyerEC, scented, jp-mco and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:47 am

That´s a shame - stayed at several Amans and it was always great.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just caught up with this and agree it was a horrible experience. Sadly, I think that this typifies some of the Amans these days - less so in Asia, but elsewhere, for sure. The early days of SS were superb, especially when Jean-Pierre Baratin opened the resort. Kevin Brooke went on to do a good job, but last time I was there, it did seem to have changed - Russian weddings, drones over the beach and a lack of direction throughout. As Pausanias says in a later post, he was there at the beginning of Aman in 1988 and it was wonderful (I was also there back then), but like him, Iwould not wish to be there at the end.
This whole experience and thread is turning into an epic psychodrama and mystery... How is this not yet resolved and how did things get to this point with this Aman property? It is so disappointing and only serves to reinforce to the extreme your position that the Aman legend is very sadly nearing the end.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:58 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
It may/may not be a crime to smoke in the open in Montenegro, I'm not sure. But I'm guessing it is probably against the employee rules/handbook/guidelines to smoke on duty.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
It may/may not be a crime to smoke in the open in Montenegro, I'm not sure. But I'm guessing it is probably against the employee rules/handbook/guidelines to smoke on duty.
Its just so so low end and what if people had a health issue that the person was smoking around, its just disgusting on any level.
scented likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GMs are latest aman veterans to leave aman

wait for sven to arrive from zoe

a spa manager has MMA / sport fighting background?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
The Tipples left?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:46 am

Unexpected good surprise from Sveti Stefan after a picture of name tags on Instagram in which I said that two were missing: SS and Pulo. Just a few days later I received a call from DHL!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Unexpected good surprise from Sveti Stefan after a picture of name tags on Instagram in which I said that two were missing: SS and Pulo. Just a few days later I received a call from DHL!
Quite amazing they would be so diligent and accommodating in this case but absent in other ways...
wrp96 and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 8, 2018 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:08 pm

Maybe I missed something, but wasn't the smoking boat crew guy not Aman staff but a contractor? Not a justification, but trying to get third parties to follow instructions is always a challenge anywhere in the world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.