FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1925359-report-my-stay-aman-sveti-stefan.html)

Fc912 Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30225112)
great to hear, thanks Jermyn (and Fliar)

anyone hear timing for tibbles and sven?
(also re aman, did nera GM leave?)

2012 had nearby public music event, maybe not repeated

40 callmedtop
18 Musken
38 IB6825 (not waterfront)

possible
1B and 1A ?

I heard from one of the managers while I was there last week that Sven is arriving in November and Jane and Tapa will be out by the end of the month. I stayed in 18 and it was great; the terrace was large (had two loungers + a table large enough for breakfast; we had it in room twice over our three night stay) with great views to the Southeast. It was also very private as it's on the edge of the island, and *I think* it's next to the Sveti Stefan Suite (the one that comes with a private pool). The duplex set up was a little annoying at times (I wished they had a separate toilet upstairs, and perhaps also a phone downstairs in the bathroom) but aside from that the room was spacious and extremely comfortable.

Cheetah_SA Sep 21, 2018 2:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 30086326)
Wow that sounds incredibly incredibly awful. I can’t even think of a worse situation. My kid is at a summer camp in the woods and it’s probably a better setup....

i thiught the Tibbles were in charge there. I’ve never encountered them but have heard nothing but good about them....I can imagine Montenegrins aren’t super service oriented but this is inexcusable. There should at least be some sort of service recovery....

fdw

They oversaw our only stay at Pulo; I wasn't impressed at all. But around here they were pretty much universally loved so I assumed our stay was some weird outlier.

vuittonsofstyle Sep 21, 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 (Post 30221393)
Thanks for the update.
Would you recommend staying on the island or in the Milocer suites?

Stay on the island in summer and at Vila Milocer in winter

damaxer91 Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 30086214)
[left]

I am here now and very much agree with your sentiment. We love the hard product and agree about the F&B staff (Chef is wonderful) but pretty much everything else here is a bloody mess. I'm glad to see this post and know we aren't the only ones who feel this way....
  • We had sent an email in advance of the stay reminding them of some requests (nothing out of the ordinary). Pretty much all of them were completely ignored. They did rectify them pretty quickly once I reminded them though.
  • Most of the staff here is indifferent, if not rude. They seem to want to be elsewhere and make it quite clear. I understand the necessity of hiring locals, but it shouldn't be this way even if its a cultural thing.
  • Pool service consists of a "server" who makes it clear that he's just there to take lunch orders. He never offered water or anything else and got annoyed when we asked if he could help move an umbrella.
  • Turndown service literally just means your sheets are turned down and a gift placed in the middle of the bed. They wont as much as move something from the bed or even clean the room slightly. Even a Champagne Bucket with melted ice wasn't removed. Housekeeping during the day cleans the way you'd expect at a Holiday Inn Express on I-95.
  • Other than by the Executive Chef, we have not been addressed by name once. Even more bothersome if being constantly asked by security at the entrance if we are guests. Spa and beach attendants have no clue either.
  • Beach SERVICE consists of being handed a semi-cold bottle of water and nothing else. If you ask for menus you receive them but if you want to order something you need to shout across the beach to the attendants or go to the towel station to place the order.
  • Waited a half hour for a car to drive us from Spa back to the Island and nobody was willing to apologize or take blame.
  • Do not disturb sign in private sauna rooms at spa is constantly ignored by cleaning staff. They walk in without even a knock.
  • We were dropped off at boat dock without any instructions as to where Queens Beach was. The Security Guard just motioned in the general direction with his finger when we asked him how to get there.
Oh and the Wasps and Bees are EVERYWHERE. No respite from them whatsoever in any area where there is food or drink.

Overall, I'd have to say that its certainly been our most disappointing Aman stay and we'd even consider leaving if there was another good option nearby....

Glad to say that Aman has really gone above and beyond to resolve this with a VERY generous offer towards our next Aman stay.

Thanks to everyone here for encouraging me to take this up to the next level.

There may be issues with individual properties, but the brand still seems to have its head on straight.

Kagehitokiri Sep 30, 2018 3:10 pm

who did you hear from? glad both OPs got recovery (similar to cheval and jani threads)

sep 9 >

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30184750)
Heard back from Tapa. They were very sorry about the experience and offered a very generous service recovery.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30185215)
Still finalizing some stuff.

SeaHawg Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Bumping an old thread because my wife and I are traveling to Croatia/Montenegro in late June and are evaluating properties along the coast.

My wife really wants us to stay on the SS island, and I think it would be an amazing experience. However, after reading through this thread, I am hitting pause.

Has anyone stayed more recently? I know the pandemic has hampered their operating times, but the prices for this summer appear higher than any other season in any year, and I would expect a near perfect (98/100) or better experience given the price.

As an aside, I tried booking through FHR, and it shows no availability- Meanwhile, the website shows availability for a wide range of dates- anything to that??

chinmoylad Apr 16, 2021 2:44 am

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 33180953)
Bumping an old thread because my wife and I are traveling to Croatia/Montenegro in late June and are evaluating properties along the coast.

My wife really wants us to stay on the SS island, and I think it would be an amazing experience. However, after reading through this thread, I am hitting pause.

Has anyone stayed more recently? I know the pandemic has hampered their operating times, but the prices for this summer appear higher than any other season in any year, and I would expect a near perfect (98/100) or better experience given the price.

As an aside, I tried booking through FHR, and it shows no availability- Meanwhile, the website shows availability for a wide range of dates- anything to that??

Couple of things:
Depending on what you're looking for, you may want to consider the island or Villa Milocer nearby.
Have you tried using a Virtuoso agent instead? I have some bookings there this summer and there are some buyouts/weddings etc which may be the cause of the dates being blocked out (even if it did show availability on the website for a brief while).

SeaHawg Apr 16, 2021 9:45 am

Thank you for checking that- We are going with a newer boutique property down the coast.

There is enough reason for pause on this property in my opinion. Spending $10k and having only a 90% chance or so of a great experience given reviews doesn’t compute with us. For that price, it would have to be at least 98% 5-star versus 3-star or lower.

That being said, I would love to experience the Aman way of doing things in the near future- We have heard amazing things.

francophile Apr 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 33180953)

This hotel is opening up in a couple of weeks. It's about an hour and half north of the Aman by car.
https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/portonovi

kamel123 Apr 17, 2021 4:06 am

Originally Posted by francophile (Post 33183017)
This hotel is opening up in a couple of weeks. It's about an hour and half north of the Aman by car.
https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/portonovi

Checked this out - looks quite nice, but pricing is very ambitious. Summer rates start at EUR 1,525 for the lowest category mountain view room, north of EUR 3,000 for a suite. Not quite sure what clientele they are going for.

offerendum Apr 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kamel123 (Post 33183751)
Checked this out - looks quite nice, but pricing is very ambitious. Summer rates start at EUR 1,525 for the lowest category mountain view room, north of EUR 3,000 for a suite. Not quite sure what clientele they are going for.

They will (at least at the beginning) have the same target group as Aman. And don't forget, European resorts in Summer are often very pricey. What you saw is quite normal at the usual suspects in Italy or on Mallorca.

EuropeanPete Apr 18, 2021 1:00 am

Originally Posted by kamel123 (Post 33183751)

That would be ultra high net worth people visiting Montenegro, of which there is no shortage in summer months! Not all of them are in organised crime either, some of them are influencers :)

hypnos8 Apr 22, 2021 12:34 pm

So far demand for Sveti Stefan seems to remain subdued due to the pandemic. We just had to cancel our stay in May as they informed us that this year they will not be opening the island until June and offered us Villa Milocer instead (which we declined) :(

thetaxman29 Apr 26, 2021 10:07 am

Originally Posted by hypnos8 (Post 33197617)
So far demand for Sveti Stefan seems to remain subdued due to the pandemic. We just had to cancel our stay in May as they informed us that this year they will not be opening the island until June and offered us Villa Milocer instead (which we declined) :(

I'm in the same boat with a May stay - pretty disappointing. Are you considering other properties in Montenegro?

ABG Apr 26, 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by thetaxman29 (Post 33206604)
I'm in the same boat with a May stay - pretty disappointing. Are you considering other properties in Montenegro?

Just swapped out for the new One&Only after getting the Aman news. Not sure how I feel about it as a new resort , but clients *want* to travel.