FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1925359-report-my-stay-aman-sveti-stefan.html)

chinmoylad Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30205814)
In general you are right but in this case I have no doubt. Many here reported bad and amazing (or at least good as many are hard to amaze like me) stays.

See recent quotes from @Jeremyn @BESVISOR ('s clients) and @Fc912 - no separate thread was created "AMAZING stay at Sveti Stefan" etc.

Like I said, we do need far more negative reviews to be reported than there possibly currently are - otherwise everything ends up bottle necked (e.g. the previous thread about a particular agent, the couple of bad Aman Sveti Stefan stays...).

But we also do need to balance those out with the mundane, the good, the great, the amazing and the out of this world stays (which aren't always reported).

Basically, all I'm saying is I think (and I know this isn't always easy) EVERY stay needs to be reported, rather than cherry picking a few - because it provides better perspective than 1 amazing and 1 horrible stay at that resort.

MSPeconomist Sep 15, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30205662)
It should be remembered that social media/the internet/online space also has a lot to answer for. There will eventually be a shocking stay at every resort (and it needs to compensated accordingly, as this one presumably was) - it happens. And it happens now, as it happened back then.
20, 30 years ago, it would be talked about within a small circle. Difference is, now it goes up on a forum, on Instagram, on TripAdvisor etc.

We often report the bad reviews on here - and this is not to discourage any reviewers from writing the negative reviews, we do actually need MORE of those because it provides a balance and also a warning - but how often do we report the amazing reviews, nevermind the decent/good ones? Does everyone on here who has ever reported a bad review also reported a decent stay? A good stay? An amazing stay? An out of this world stay?

There are plenty of an older generation who have told me they disliked their Aman stays, even back in the "heyday" of the late 80s and early 90s - whether it's because that's not what they were looking for from a trip, or it just didn't go as planned and they don't see the value proposition. It's not a unique phenomenon to now, despite the 'change in ownership' and leadership (which, again, isn't to say it isn't an issue - sure, I've seen some changes myself in the last ~5 or so years). But these reviews from back then would be within a small (if influential) circle; not a public forum/space like here or Instagram etc.

And that's true across every hotel, brand etc.

What is different, though, are the amount of 'fake' reviews (and these tend to mostly be positive) which probably didn't occur as much back then.

Why did the older generation dislike Aman?

chinmoylad Sep 15, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30206323)
Why did the older generation dislike Aman?

They didn't - as with anything, even in Aman's supposed 'heyday/halcyon days/glory days' etc in the 80s/90s, there were plenty of guests who did not enjoy their stays at their resorts and have no returned since.

My point was about how it circulates - now the same review goes up on social media (or on here). Before it was just a passing comment to a friend/relative.

BOStonTravels Sep 15, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30206315)
See recent quotes from @Jeremyn @BESVISOR ('s clients) and @Fc912 - no separate thread was created "AMAZING stay at Sveti Stefan" etc.

Like I said, we do need far more negative reviews to be reported than there possibly currently are - otherwise everything ends up bottle necked (e.g. the previous thread about a particular agent, the couple of bad Aman Sveti Stefan stays...).

But we also do need to balance those out with the mundane, the good, the great, the amazing and the out of this world stays (which aren't always reported).

Basically, all I'm saying is I think (and I know this isn't always easy) EVERY stay needs to be reported, rather than cherry picking a few - because it provides better perspective than 1 amazing and 1 horrible stay at that resort.

Im not sure I follow your thinking here regarding the recent concerning reports...

I think it’s also accurate to suggest expectations might be different for some on this forum compared to people who appear to spend a large majority of the time at properties setting up cameras to take pictures of their faces and bodies for all the internet in the ultimate show of immature, pseudo seductive vanity.

BESVISOR Sep 15, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30205662)
It should be remembered that social media/the internet/online space also has a lot to answer for. There will eventually be a shocking stay at every resort (and it needs to compensated accordingly, as this one presumably was) - it happens. And it happens now, as it happened back then.
20, 30 years ago, it would be talked about within a small circle. Difference is, now it goes up on a forum, on Instagram, on TripAdvisor etc.

We often report the bad reviews on here - and this is not to discourage any reviewers from writing the negative reviews, we do actually need MORE of those because it provides a balance and also a warning - but how often do we report the amazing reviews, nevermind the decent/good ones? Does everyone on here who has ever reported a bad review also reported a decent stay? A good stay? An amazing stay? An out of this world stay?

There are plenty of an older generation who have told me they disliked their Aman stays, even back in the "heyday" of the late 80s and early 90s - whether it's because that's not what they were looking for from a trip, or it just didn't go as planned and they don't see the value proposition. It's not a unique phenomenon to now, despite the 'change in ownership' and leadership (which, again, isn't to say it isn't an issue - sure, I've seen some changes myself in the last ~5 or so years). But these reviews from back then would be within a small (if influential) circle; not a public forum/space like here or Instagram etc.

And that's true across every hotel, brand etc.

What is different, though, are the amount of 'fake' reviews (and these tend to mostly be positive) which probably didn't occur as much back then.

Agreed! It also feels as if we don't think about the sample size of the data and just take everything we read at face value.

I would guess that most members that posts reviews (positive or negative) will tend to have higher expectations, which is perfectly fine. But something to note. After all, aside from being well traveled, they've probably spent hours researching to select the perfect hotel/resort or the best that's available in a given destination.
But what's great is that many reviewers detail exactly/specifically what's going on, which removes the subjective nature of vague statements i.e. "...it's a fabulous place..." or "...the service and designs are horrible...".

chinmoylad Sep 15, 2018 9:39 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 30206490)
But what's great is that many reviewers detail exactly/specifically what's going on, which removes the subjective nature of vague statements i.e. "...it's a fabulous place..." or "...the service and designs are horrible...".

Agreed! This is where the most value is.

Fliar Sep 16, 2018 7:41 pm

I read the reports on bad stays with interest and especially the - in my view - hyperbolic comments about 'the end of Aman'. I am not negating people's experiences but of my last 6 stays in the last 12 months, 4 have been phenomenal (Venice, Jena, Wana, Noi), one great (Yangyun) and one flawed but still very good (ASP).

Just to offer an alternative view.

Edited to add: forgot about Amanbagh and Aman-i-Khas, both clearly in the 'phenomenal' category.

Jermyn Sep 18, 2018 4:21 am

I have sadly now returned from my 4 day stay and have to say that it was one of my top trips in recent memory.

In the interests of fairness here are some things I didn't like:

Synthetic pillows: I only ever usually encounter these in airport hotels. Really quite shocking that they don't have feather pillows as standard, or better still a proper pillow menu to choose from.
No hooks for towels: Not a single towel hook anywhere in the room. Thankfully we had a lovely coat rack which we re-purposed but it seems odd to have no towel hooks anywhere, not even within the shower room itself.
Piazza breakfast: as crowded as a Vegas buffet. Very tough to get staff attention. We lingered for a couple of minutes without being seated and decided to just head to breakfast at Milocer instead.
Speedboat: the only way to call the boat over for certain is to have guest services do it for you. If it's on the other side and you head down to the dock you're basically stuck waiting in the sun until it happens to come over. Adding some shelter and a call button on the island side would be a great idea.

However, when balanced against the fact that every morning I could take a (pre-arranged) speedboat from the private island I was staying on, to have breakfast at an oceanfront palace and then walk 50 yards to a secluded private beach, with crystal blue water, where they served me truffle pizza and Aperol spritzes in my cabana?

Come on. This place is ridiculous.

Aside from the aforementioned complaints, I loved the hardware of our cottage. The layout, the materials, the beamed ceilings, none of it seemed like a step down from our stay at Amanoi a couple of months ago. At all.

Service was superb. Tapa and Jane were very visible and quite honestly, more proactive than I would be if I was just seeing out the last few weeks of a job. They did a fantastic job of making us feel welcome and I really enjoyed chatting with them. (They also gave me a fantastic bottle of champagne for my birthday, something which I really appreciated and genuinely did not expect)

The staff more broadly were fantastic. There were one or two standouts in particular, the young guy doing the drinks service in the evening and a couple of waiters upstairs at Arva. This is one area in which SS really stood above Amanoi for us. At Amanoi the staff were very sweet and well intentioned but often got things wrong, or forgot about us. At SS we had one mix up with a dish and one occasion where our order wasn't taken immediately (in addition to our decision to leave the Piazza before being seated for breakfast).

We were asked for our room number a couple of times but this was prefaced with an apology and only happened on our first visit to Milocer and Queen's beach. The logistics of a three centre resort are mind-boggling and I'm not so high maintenance as to expect that everyone everywhere will know who I am from the moment I set foot on the main island! (I would be annoyed if this happened somewhere like Jiwo though, where remembering room numbers is a far simpler task)

For what its worth the island was at 100% when we were there and my understanding is that it has been for quite some time.

Happy to answer any other specific questions that people may have.

Epicura Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am

Maybe it’s time to move this thread into a general Aman SS thread?

Most happy to hear things are going well re current stays. Not sure we should continue under this kind of title?

MSPeconomist Sep 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Have all of the "victims" who posted earlier in the thread about horrible experiences here been contacted with appropriate apologies?

uclabruin82 Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for the update.
Would you recommend staying on the island or in the Milocer suites?

BESVISOR Sep 19, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 (Post 30221393)
Thanks for the update.
Would you recommend staying on the island or in the Milocer suites?

I think there's something special about staying on the Island. Especially in a Deluxe Cottage with terrace. It pays to know which specific cottage # you'd want, here.
#38 and #50 are well received and requested often. One of my clients stayed in #38 last week and absolutely loved it.

Kagehitokiri Sep 20, 2018 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn (Post 30216238)
I have sadly now returned from my 4 day stay and have to say that it was one of my top trips in recent memory.

sounds like it exceeded expectation you had when you booked?

Jermyn Sep 20, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30224713)
what about cottages on the sea side, came up as helping avoid noise from land

sounds like it exceeded expectation you had when you booked?

There were zero noise issues after the first night, when the Russian wedding took place on the mainland. Those happen about twice a year apparently and Aman were proactive in getting the police called over there. This wouldn't factor into my rationale when selecting a cottage.

I was in a regular cottage #11 and it was far larger than I was expecting, the layout was super spacious.

The stay most definitely exceeded my expectations (even before this thread came to light). In a lot of ways I preferred this stay to Amanoi. Where Amanoi is essentially a refined version of the Conrad Koh Samui, Sveti Stefan is quite literally peerless.

Kagehitokiri Sep 20, 2018 7:23 am

great to hear - thanks Jermyn, Fc912, Fliar

anyone hear timing for tibbles and sven?
island season ends first week of oct this year
(also re aman, did nera GM leave?)

2012 had nearby public music event, maybe not repeated

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 30221438)
38 and 50

40 callmedtop
18 Musken
opposite sides of island

38 IB6825
not waterfront
may have been the 1 "deluxe seaview cottage with terrace" in 2014-2015
but not sure, would've thought 40 and 18 would've been more likely

possible
1B and 1A ?
others ?