Search

Aman at Summer Palace - 10 years on

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Aman at Summer Palace - 10 years on

At its worst, Aman is still fabulous

I first visited Beijing in 2008 and stayed at Aman at Summer Palace when it had just opened. I posted a review. I gushed over the setting and the decor and complained about the service. I think I said something like 'great hardware, poor software'. But, that was when it had just opened (and when I had only been to a handful of Amans) and so I was keen to try again, ten years later. Before I go into the review I have to say that my expectations of a major improvement in the appalling service standards in Beijing were not met. Not only were many hospitality staff (let alone the general populace) not friendly, but I found them actively unfriendly - even in the most upscale of places. Service remains some of the worst and that includes the Rosewood and the Four Seasons (I only ate at these places). The positive exception was TRB at the Forbidden City, where the service was fabulous (mostly from the two senior ladies in charge). (I was there for work and my students were very friendly, so my comments apply to public service encounters, not to Beijingers in private.) ASP needs a bit of a paint job and I believe it will close later this year for maintenance but basically the hotel is as fabulous in its location and decor as I remembered it. The privately bookable cinema is a blast and the underground pool very cool indeed. Despite what I say below I still strongly recommend staying here. I was upgraded to a very nice courtyard room (having booked the lowest room category) and with the other room in the courtyard being unoccupied, it was peaceful and extremely quiet. The room was beautiful.

Service is where things fall apart. The GM did not appear to be present during the 3 days I was there with no obvious second-in-command to take over. Staff ranged from friendly with reasonable English (a couple of the ladies at the reception desk) to forgetful, inattentive or even rude. Most had poor or no English and had not been told how to convey this to guests. The 'activities' were poor (unlike at Amanyangyun, where they were excellent). The calligraphy class was run by (I believe) the same man who taught it the last time, with zero English, zero interest in really teaching anything (despite my efforts to communicate with him in Chinese) - a complete waste of time. The tea 'ceremony' is basically someone serving you tea (very nice tea, btw). The food prices are crazy - US$40 for some spaghetti bolognese anyone? The Japanese restaurant...well, don't even think about it. The Chinese restaurant was a bit better but service typical Beijing-Chinese. As a small example of what I mean: no one said thank you or goodbye when I left.

So, in summary: in my view, ASP offers an amazing place with service that is on par with, and perhaps somewhat better than most 5* hotels in Beijing, which is not saying very much. The early rate I booked at was actually very reasonable (CNY3700 including taxes) so all in all I had a great time. So my conclusion is that at its worst, Aman still offers a fabulous experience. Just set your expectations before you go.
nmuva98 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:05 am

what a shame, but for sure like many hotels in China they are not owned but managed, so I am sure it's the Chinese owner that is running the hotel.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by summertime
what a shame, but for sure like many hotels in China they are not owned but managed, so I am sure it's the Chinese owner that is running the hotel.
I don't quite understand this, could you elaborate?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Did they find a GM? When we were there a couple months ago, staff said the position was hard to fill

For the cinema, did they fix the projector? Something was wrong with the lens so there were stripes across the screen.

Agreed that food prices are high. We ordered delivery from KFC one night!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks for update Fliar

ASP still does not have a GM so that is why you did not meet one . Pity VP left .

Perhaps we will return in 2020 when things hopefully have ‘ settled ‘ .

The opening / pre opening GM also left rather abruptly at AmanYY .
Wonder which “ wonderful “ ?? one you met ..
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Wow, sounds just about right—and comparable to our subpar 2012 stay experience. We also had numerous service fails, one after another, though we did find people friendly and warm. We complained to the lovely GM (whose name now eludes me) who refunded us 1 night and offered us a free dinner and bottle of wine at their Italian restaurant. Excellent service recovery, but we knew we’d never likely return. At the time, we chalked it up to the more urban setting but soon realized that service issues were/are endemic throughout mainland China.

As a tourist or anyone who has business toward the outer rings, ASP may suit...but more likely, the inner ring 5* hotels will be a better bet for most. In my case, despite the poor record of service overall in Beijing and much of mainland China, I still expect that my elite SPG/Marriott Ambassador status at the St Regis Beijing will make for a better and more reliable choice.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by scented
I don't quite understand this, could you elaborate?
ASP is owned by BTG (Beijing Tourism Group) which is owned by the government.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
ASP is owned by BTG (Beijing Tourism Group) which is owned by the government.
ASP and the StR Lhasa both are owned by the Chinese government and also are mandated to have a minimum number of Chinese national employees (even in management). So are many other newer properties allowed to be managed by Western luxury chains. The results speak for themselves, with often substandard luxury levels of service and communication that often surprise based on the brand. That’s China for you.
nmuva98, Fliar and scented like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:09 am
Original Poster

The new manager at YY I was referring to is Benoit...a very capable GM from my (limited) experience.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
The new manager at YY I was referring to is Benoit...a very capable GM from my (limited) experience.
no longer there, I believe a person by the name of Christophe is there as a new GM.
scented and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:10 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
no longer there, I believe a person by the name of Christophe is there as a new GM.
Yup! Ex-Giri and most recently, Ex-Pulo GM...Not a fan of his management style, though.

Was at Pulo last Summer. Came across him a few times, but the guy never said hello, never bothered to see how our stay was. Not a smile, no emotion, nothing! Must be killer at Poker!
summertime likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Yup! Ex-Giri and most recently, Ex-Pulo GM...Not a fan of his management style, though.

Was at Pulo last Summer. Came across him a few times, but the guy never said hello, never bothered to see how our stay was. Not a smile, no emotion, nothing! Must be killer at Poker!
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for update Fliar

ASP still does not have a GM so that is why you did not meet one . Pity VP left .

Perhaps we will return in 2020 when things hopefully have ‘ settled ‘ .

The opening / pre opening GM also left rather abruptly at AmanYY .
Wonder which “ wonderful “ ?? one you met ..
Was in touch with Benoit A late last year & before I could blink an eye , he was gone .

Then as mentioned , the regional director & Pulo GM who is not a real Aman grown ( or “ likeable “ to many ) has moved his base to AmanYY as GM now .

With tough ‘ conditions ‘ at ASP , she needs a really strong Aman GM , Mark S & VP were ‘ right ‘ - missed by many here now .

BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 9, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

oooops, sorry, my bad. Benoit was the person who was there last year. I did meet Christophe (who seemed very nice) but the person who really looked after me and invited me to return was Franck Chantoiseau. Very 'on the ball' and impressive. He's moving to Puri.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:18 am

oooops, sorry, my bad. Benoit was the person who was there last year. I did meet Christophe (who seemed very nice) but the person who really looked after me and invited me to return was Franck Chantoiseau. Very 'on the ball' and impressive. He's moving to Puri.
Franck C is already at Puri , as HM . AmanSP needs someone like him .
Fliar likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Have a stay here booked in December. Rate was not bad at 3100 CNY. Starting to read a lot of mixed reviews. Maybe I should just book Four Seasons or peninsula.

One specific question for you though. Does the airport pickup service provide any real benefit at arrivals in PEK? I don't need help with my bags, but if I can skip line that would be nice. Elsewhere on flyertalk heard there is no VIP, but then some Aman summer palace reviews rave about pickup.

Its 1553 so an order of magnitude more than a taxi or even standard car service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.