Luxury Hotel in Tokyo & Kyoto with 2 kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel in Tokyo & Kyoto with 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by janehoya
I too would very much appreciate kid-friendly restaurant recommendations in Tokyo/Kyoto. Our son will be 14 and sushi is his favorite food, but neither he nor I are adventurous eaters, so even though we splurge on food when on vacation, a lot of the higher end restaurants are off-limits for us as they seem to consist mostly of omakase offerings.
Wouldn't eat there regularly, but as an experience, we took our kids to the Ninja Restaurant in Akasaka. The food was surprisingly good for a "theme" restaurant (however the drinks were overpriced), and the venue makes for an entertaining family meal experience.

Note that it's not a la carte as you wanted, but there's a bunch of different set menus and you pick the one you want in advance (all are on the website). Our kids are pretty fussy and enjoyed everything that was presented which was quite varied.

For conventional restaurants, there's a huge number of small hole in the wall places in Kitchen Street at Tokyo Station, and plenty of kid friendly offerings at Odaiba. Plus pretty much anywhere in Shibuya and Shinjuku you'll find places offering great ala carte options.

There's a fantastic high end restaurant in the Palace Hotel (name escapes me) which has a number of kid friendly a la carte dishes.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:27 am

For Kyoto, I think ryokans are better options for families as the hotel rooms are not particularly large. My kids are about the same age and we stayed at the Motonago Ryokan when we were there. It has private toilet and shared baths though. For something more luxurious, look into Hiiragiya or Tawaraya.

I would also also look into staying at the IC Osaka and commuting up. They have very nice 2 bedroom apartments that would fit a family. It takes about 45 mins to get to Gion or Arashiyama areas and it is not that much longer than staying in Kyoto.

For Disney, have you looked into hiring one of their VIP guides? That usually come with skip the line privileges

Last edited by HKTraveler; Aug 13, 2018 at 7:49 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:15 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
For Kyoto, I think ryokans are better options for families as the hotel rooms are not particularly large. My kids are about the same age and we stayed at the Motonago Ryokan when we were there. It has private toilet and shared baths though. For something more luxurious, look into Hiiragiya or Tawaraya.

Ritz has some pretty good sized suites, mind.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler

I would also also look into staying at the IC Osaka and commuting up. They have very nice 2 bedroom apartments that would fit a family. It takes about 45 mins to get to Gion or Arashiyama areas and it is not that much longer than staying in Kyoto.

For Disney, have you looked into hiring one of their VIP guides? That usually come up skip the line privileges
I respectfully disagree with the idea of staying at a place like Tawaraya with children. Even for Japanophile adults as we are, it was a one and done proposition. The rooms are far too sparse for the comfort of children and I cannot
imagine them making it through a kaiseki meal. The price of this property is eye popping so I'm sure a suite at a Kyoto hotel would cost less. As well, children might not be allowed to stay anyway.

If Tokyo Disney has VIP guided tours available (they didn't a few years ago), it would be a great way to make the day tolerable. These parks are supremely crowded on most days and a 6 hour (that is the minimum in Florida)
tour, even at the likely high prices, will allow you to easily take in the major rides. After that you can fill in on your own.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:55 pm

You can opt out of the meal option while staying in Tawaraya and children is allowed as well. I have stayed over 6 times in Tawaraya , in fact I have opted out dinner every time I stay. You pay for the room only if you opt out of the meal.

.Every room/ suite is different and so far I have stayed in 10 out of the 18 room . The room irange from 30sqm to 120sqm. Tawaraya is my de facto Kyoto accommodation whenever I visit Kyoto unless it is fully booked. It’s amazingly tranquil and zen despite it is located in a major thoroughfare. It’s much better than hiragiya and Suiran which I have also stayed before. I highly recommended Tawaraya if you could afford it
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:01 pm

If you're not adventurous about eating, you should try Dons de la Nature. OMG, such a great steak. It is expensive but so worth it. All six of our party thought it was by far the best steak they ever had.

I don't know how old your kids are, but they might like doing the Ninja training. You can google it.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by silverlim
Tawaraya is my de facto Kyoto accommodation whenever I visit Kyoto unless it is fully booked. It’s amazingly tranquil and zen despite it is located in a major thoroughfare. It’s much better than hiragiya and Suiran which I have also stayed before. I highly recommended Tawaraya if you could afford it
I’m so glad you love it!

That makes me all the more curious as to what hotels/ryokans you recommend beyond Tawaraya?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by silverlim
You can opt out of the meal option while staying in Tawaraya and children is allowed as well. I have stayed over 6 times in Tawaraya , in fact I have opted out dinner every time I stay. You pay for the room only if you opt out of the meal.

.Every room/ suite is different and so far I have stayed in 10 out of the 18 room . The room irange from 30sqm to 120sqm. Tawaraya is my de facto Kyoto accommodation whenever I visit Kyoto unless it is fully booked. It’s amazingly tranquil and zen despite it is located in a major thoroughfare. It’s much better than hiragiya and Suiran which I have also stayed before. I highly recommended Tawaraya if you could afford it
My children's ages ranged from 6-16 when we stayed as a family. I cannot possibly describe how much they loved Tawaraya. We did do the meal option and it was all part of the adventure. I have also stayed there with my husband and that was also wonderful. Tawaraya has a special kind of magic and it is almost impossible to describe.
FlyerEC, MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m so glad you love it!

That makes me all the more curious as to what hotels/ryokans you recommend beyond Tawaraya?
If you let me know of the place that you like to visit , I am happy to provide recommendation
Below is a few recommended onsen ryokan that comes to my mind

1) Kyushu--Takefue and Murata
2) Nigata--Satoyama Jujo
3) Hokaido--Zaborin
4) izu--Asaba and Yagu no Sho
5) Gunma-Bettei Senjuan
KI-NRT and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If I may hijack the thread since this has now partly moved to non-Tokyo/Kyoto questions and offers of help, we want to take a couple of nights by the sea away from but close to Tokyo at the start of our next trip there in the Spring and ideally stay in a Ryokan or other Japanese style accommodation. We'd go there at the start of our trip so straight from NRT, so I was thinking of either in the Enoshima/Kamakura area or somewhere on the Chiba peninsula as I know neither area. Any great recommendation coming to mind? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If I may hijack the thread since this has now partly moved to non-Tokyo/Kyoto questions and offers of help, we want to take a couple of nights by the sea away from but close to Tokyo at the start of our next trip there in the Spring and ideally stay in a Ryokan or other Japanese style accommodation. We'd go there at the start of our trip so straight from NRT, so I was thinking of either in the Enoshima/Kamakura area or somewhere on the Chiba peninsula as I know neither area. Any great recommendation coming to mind? Thanks!
Maybe Izu? See recommendations in post immediately above yours.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Tawaraya is phone booking only?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by gengar
..Or you know someone who knows someone...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Maybe Izu? See recommendations in post immediately above yours.
Thanks! I'd love to go to Izu at some points (family members loved Shimoda and the area) but I think that for this one that might be just a tad too ambitious for us at it means 3 1/2-4 hr train from Narita with two changes as opposed to Enoshima or Chiba peninsula being about 2h and 1 change. As we'll have travelled for about 16 hours, I feel that my partner will prefer to keep it a minimal post-flights. The two Ryokan mentioned do look gorgeous though so if the plan change and I start with work and have the couple of days off later, that certainly could become an option.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Below are the ways that one could book Tawaraya that I know off
1) Booking in person
2) Booking via phone
3) Booking via fax
4) Booking via 3rd party engine such as JTB, Japanican...etc
5) Booking via luxury hotel concierge , in fact my very first stay is booked through MO tokyo concierge
6) Booking via friend
They are usually fully booked in advance as they have only 18 rooms/suites especially in peak season, such as year end, sakura season, momiji season

Hope it helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.