Luxury Hotel in Tokyo & Kyoto with 2 kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel in Tokyo & Kyoto with 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Also - when you book a top restaurant in a big city, you need to reserve a time and stick with it. Part of the experience of staying at a world-class ryokan (such as Gora Kadan) is to enjoy the food, so I have no problem with being boxed into a set dining time.
Not necessarily if you’re a regular. But that depends. At some of my regular places, I can book at a moment’s notice if they have space, and I just let them know as a courtesy if I will be late.

That’s the beauty of hotel dining though. You can go out on certain evenings at prearranged times, but you always have the hotel’s outlets and room service to accommodate you on a flexible basis.
KI-NRT likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Many years ago we traveled to Japan with 3 children. The highlight of their trip was their stay at Tawaraya Ryokan in Kyoto.. It was a memorable, beautiful experience for all of us. I am surprised to see the lack of recommendations for Ryokan accommodations.
For Kyoto, I’d highly recommend Suiran—our favorite of all the luxury hotels at which we stayed while in Japan in May (including the Prince Gallery Tokyo, the Ritz Carlton Kyoto, and the StR Osaka). It’s a perfect blend of Western luxury boutique hotel with Japanese ryokan. You can book ryokan style rooms or Western style rooms, in fact, and they have two onsen on-site that are truly lovely. But the dining is more Western, despite there being a Japanese style tea house. It’s also right on the river on the Arashiyama side of the city, making it feel more remote and village-y despite being only a 25-30 min drive across town to the RC/FS side of Kyoto. The temples and shrines on the Suiran side are also far less touristy (except for the bamboo forest and monkey park which are both within a 10 min walk from Suiran).

We we didn’t want to risk the trappings of a try ryokan, since they aren’t always as luxury as they pretend. Suiran was an absolute delight in that it had many of the trappings of a proper ryokan while still having all the bells and whistles of a luxury boutique hotel.

We also liked the RC Kyoto, but we vastly preferred the authenticity and location of Suiran. We can stay at a RC or FS in many cities; only in Kyoto is there anything like Suiran.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:20 am

It’s an entirely different form of luxury. It isn’t even necessarily that comfortable to stay in a traditional ryokan, but nevertheless it’s a valuable and enriching experience if one has the chance to do so.

I agree that places like Suiran and Hoshinoya are a good modern interpretation of Japanese hospitality. One can have the aesthetic experience of Japanese style accommodation and bathing facilities, but still have the flexibility and services of a high end hotel.
Baghoarder likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Aventine
Hoshinoya? That's probably the only one I can think of fitting this forum and in the city itself.
Uh - not based on my recent stay. Worst of both worlds.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Thanks for the responses. We are going with RC Club level in Tokyo. Got it for 5 nights.

Still thinking through Kyoto. As this is our first time, we want to stay in Kyoto and not Osaka as going back and forth each day might get tiring. I pinged RC Kyoto and they informed me that the rates haven't yet been published for April first week but then proceeded to quote me insane prices. Hyatt and Suiran are the other 2 options that I will need to evaluate.

Are there any good threads on kid-friendly restaurants in Tokyo/Kyoto?
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nealsense
Still thinking through Kyoto. As this is our first time, we want to stay in Kyoto and not Osaka as going back and forth each day might get tiring. I pinged RC Kyoto and they informed me that the rates haven't yet been published for April first week but then proceeded to quote me insane prices. Hyatt and Suiran are the other 2 options that I will need to evaluate.
As ones who stayed in a massive Suite Kamogawa at the RC Kyoto but still preferred the Presidential Suite and overall experience/location at Suiran, I recommend you to take a good look at Suiran.

That being said, if you prefer a proper hotel or the RC/FS/Hyatt side of town where the most well-known tourist sites/temples are located, our friends stayed at the Hyatt Regency in May and thought it was very nice. That Hyatt Regency is alleged by many Hyatt friends to be perhaps the best Hyatt Regency in the entire portfolio, more akin to a Park Hyatt in size/service/design. So that could be a wonderful option for you.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by janehoya
Thanks so much for responding and clarifying. We may need to reconsider Disney.
Hi,

My mother and I were at Tokyo Disney in mid april Monday to Thursday ( 16-20th) and found the queues to be quite manageable ( the cherry blossom period was the 2 weeks before that . One morning there was heavy rain so we went to a museum in Odaiba and then went to Disney in the evening and it was relatively quiet. The crowds began to build up on Thursday as we headed into Shinjuku for 6 nights . Also I think April 2019 is the end of the 35th anniversary of tokyo Disneyland so this might affect numbers.

Regards

TBS

PS Looks like Easter in 2019 is on the 21st April 2019 so that may affect crowds.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
As ones who stayed in a massive Suite Kamogawa at the RC Kyoto but still preferred the Presidential Suite and overall experience/location at Suiran, I recommend you to take a good look at Suiran.

That being said, if you prefer a proper hotel or the RC/FS/Hyatt side of town where the most well-known tourist sites/temples are located, our friends stayed at the Hyatt Regency in May and thought it was very nice. That Hyatt Regency is alleged by many Hyatt friends to be perhaps the best Hyatt Regency in the entire portfolio, more akin to a Park Hyatt in size/service/design. So that could be a wonderful option for you.
I've stayed at the HR Kyoto several times and the only type of room I've had is the second lowest level suite, the executive suite. This suite has a bedroom which will not fit two adults and two kids. It also has a dining room which is a tatami room with a dining table with a well under it. I don't think cots can be fit in that room either.

So I'd say if you want 2 adults and 2 kids at the HR Kyoto, you need a suite level above the executive suite level. Looks like the next level up is the Kyoto suite. Never seen what it looks like so can't comment if it will do.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I've stayed at the HR Kyoto several times and the only type of room I've had is the second lowest level suite, the executive suite. This suite has a bedroom which will not fit two adults and two kids. It also has a dining room which is a tatami room with a dining table with a well under it. I don't think cots can be fit in that room either.

So I'd say if you want 2 adults and 2 kids at the HR Kyoto, you need a suite level above the executive suite level. Looks like the next level up is the Kyoto suite. Never seen what it looks like so can't comment if it will do.
The top suite at HR Kyoto would be perfect. I would definitely suggest comparing rates with R-C or Suiran. The right kind of suite at Westin Miyako could also be an option, if one does not mind a larger more traditional hotel.

I would still say that R-C and Suiran are definitely worth a premium, but not an insane premium in my view. Everything is relative of course, and if this is a special trip it could make sense to go for the best.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

For Kyoto, I’d highly recommend Suiran—our favorite of all the luxury hotels at which we stayed while in Japan in May (including the Prince Gallery Tokyo, the Ritz Carlton Kyoto, and the StR Osaka). It’s a perfect blend of Western luxury boutique hotel with Japanese ryokan. You can book ryokan style rooms or Western style rooms, in fact, and they have two onsen on-site that are truly lovely. But the dining is more Western, despite there being a Japanese style tea house. It’s also right on the river on the Arashiyama side of the city, making it feel more remote and village-y despite being only a 25-30 min drive across town to the RC/FS side of Kyoto. The temples and shrines on the Suiran side are also far less touristy (except for the bamboo forest and monkey park which are both within a 10 min walk from Suiran).

We we didn’t want to risk the trappings of a try ryokan, since they aren’t always as luxury as they pretend. Suiran was an absolute delight in that it had many of the trappings of a proper ryokan while still having all the bells and whistles of a luxury boutique hotel.

We also liked the RC Kyoto, but we vastly preferred the authenticity and location of Suiran. We can stay at a RC or FS in many cities; only in Kyoto is there anything like Suiran.
i tried to book Suiran around NYE this year but no rooms were available. Out of curiosity, looked at the Ritz as well and it was sold out so am sadly (hah) settling for FS

well look into Suiran if we enjoy our first trip to Japan
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by reigndrop

i tried to book Suiran around NYE this year but no rooms were available. Out of curiosity, looked at the Ritz as well and it was sold out so am sadly (hah) settling for FS

well look into Suiran if we enjoy our first trip to Japan
You still will enjoy the FS. We checked it out and had a light snack and tea there. It's a beautiful hotel, too, if perhaps a bit more corporate and less authentically Japanese in the public spaces. It has a more feminine color palette in the rooms/suites we saw, and the garden and pond are lovely. The location is less desirable than the RC (or for us, the Suiran), but it isn't that far between the FS and RC (maybe 10 min taxi ride).

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

My mother and I were at Tokyo Disney in mid april Monday to Thursday ( 16-20th) and found the queues to be quite manageable ( the cherry blossom period was the 2 weeks before that . One morning there was heavy rain so we went to a museum in Odaiba and then went to Disney in the evening and it was relatively quiet. The crowds began to build up on Thursday as we headed into Shinjuku for 6 nights . Also I think April 2019 is the end of the 35th anniversary of tokyo Disneyland so this might affect numbers.

Regards

TBS
Thanks very much for this information. I checked and the 35th Anniversary celebrations end on March 25, 2019, and Golden Week doesn't begin till the end of April. As we intend to visit on Tuesday, April 16th, I hope we will get lucky with crowds.

Last edited by janehoya; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by nealsense
Are there any good threads on kid-friendly restaurants in Tokyo/Kyoto?
I too would very much appreciate kid-friendly restaurant recommendations in Tokyo/Kyoto. Our son will be 14 and sushi is his favorite food, but neither he nor I are adventurous eaters, so even though we splurge on food when on vacation, a lot of the higher end restaurants are off-limits for us as they seem to consist mostly of omakase offerings. Both of us are not adventurous eaters and we wouldn't want to insult any chefs with our picky habits. For that reason we will need to stick to a la carte options in both Tokyo and Kyoto.

We will be at the Andaz Tokyo and Hyatt Regency Kyoto, though are also looking into one night at Suiran, based on the glowing reviews from some posters.

Thank you.

Last edited by janehoya; Aug 8, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by janehoya
We will be at the Andaz Tokyo and Hyatt Regency Kyoto (though are also looking into one night at Suiran for one night, based on the glowing reviews from some posters.
As much as we loved Suiran, I wouldn't recommend moving from the Hyatt to the Suiran for just 1 night--not worth it at all IMO. To really get the best value of Suiran, I'd think you'd need to stay there at least 2 nights, perhaps 3. (We stayed 5 nights, and we rarely stay anywhere that long...and could have stayed 7 nights and not have been bored!) Especially if you plan to use one of the 2 onsen (assuming you don't book one of the suites that has an "in-room" onsen. And most especially if you really want to explore the many more remote and smaller, much less touristed temples, shrines, and gardens on that side of town. (I highly recommend the Moss Temple--get the advance permission!)

Remember that it's just a 25-30 min drive from the Hyatt to the Suiran.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:33 pm

As much as we loved Suiran, I wouldn't recommend moving from the Hyatt to the Suiran for just 1 night--not worth it at all IMO. To really get the best value of Suiran, I'd think you'd need to stay there at least 2 nights, perhaps 3. (We stayed 5 nights, and we rarely stay anywhere that long...and could have stayed 7 nights and not have been bored!) Especially if you plan to use one of the 2 onsen (assuming you don't book one of the suites that has an "in-room" onsen. And most especially if you really want to explore the many more remote and smaller, much less touristed temples, shrines, and gardens on that side of town. (I highly recommend the Moss Temple--get the advance permission!)

Remember that it's just a 25-30 min drive from the Hyatt to the Suiran.
Thanks very much for this information. In that case we may need to stay 2 nights at the Suiran, as you truly did an excellent job of selling it upthread. My son and I aren't adventurous when it comes to food. My husband isn't adventurous when it comes to lodging, and that's why we aren't staying at any ryokans, but we would like to get more of a feel for Japan than what it currently on our scheduled. We were planning on doing part of the Nakasendo trail till I informed him that none of the accommodations have en suite baths. Now we are choosing amongst Hakone, Hikone and Kanazawa as a detour when traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Thanks again!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.