FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Montage vs Las Ventanas Cabo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1923529-montage-vs-las-ventanas-cabo.html)

busy Aug 4, 2018 9:26 pm

Montage vs Las Ventanas Cabo

I have very fond memories of staying at Las Ventanas almost 20 years ago. Planning to return to Cabo and my travel agent is saying that the Montage is the new it spot and blows LV out of the water and a lot of the staff came from there.

TripAdvisor photos of the Montage though don’t look as compelling. Does anyone here have any thoughts? Thanks!

KatW Aug 4, 2018 9:52 pm

We stay frequently in Cabo. Know nothing about Montage but suspect your agent may be otherwise incented. If you are not with kids, there is no better venue than Ventanas, period.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...l-paraiso-2135

KatW Aug 4, 2018 9:57 pm

uclabruin82 Aug 4, 2018 10:14 pm

Cannot speak to the two hotels overall, but one thing Montage has going for it is a swimmable beach.

KatW Aug 4, 2018 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 (Post 30048723)
Cannot speak to the two hotels overall, but one thing Montage has going for it is a swimmable beach.

It is true swimmable beaches are rare in Cabo but there are several including Auberge's Chileno Bay and Palmilla. nevertheless, Ventana over all of these.

busy Aug 5, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks for the reply’s. I think the move sounds like LV, I do trust her a lot though and she did just sight inspect Montage. Said they poached a lot of LV staff and said service blows LV out of the water. The rooms and hotel just seem a bit basic at the Montage though from their website.

ABG Aug 6, 2018 9:31 am

I don't think "blows out of water" would be even close to fair.....sounds like an over-enthusiastic endorsement.
Montage is new, feedback is nice, It is a new build with all the advantages that come with that, but if costs are similar you are still in for a wonderful experience at Ventanas.

Bravado2112 Aug 6, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by busy (Post 30049660)
Thanks for the reply’s. I think the move sounds like LV, I do trust her a lot though and she did just sight inspect Montage. Said they poached a lot of LV staff and said service blows LV out of the water. The rooms and hotel just seem a bit basic at the Montage though from their website.

Hard to imagine the service anywhere "blowing Las Ventanas out of the water." Been to Las Ventanas twice in the past couple of years and the service is amazing. Overall, probably the best we've experienced anywhere.

BESVISOR Aug 7, 2018 6:47 am

Montage does look great and I've heard great feedback (or really, anticipation) from peer agents who have inspected the property, recently.
On the flip side, I've only had 100% positive/raving feedback from clients regarding Las Ventanas! And many loved it enough to return.

I also think LV's design has more of a "sense of place" than the Montage. But certainly, Montage does look fantastic in its own right.

Depending on the travelers and the duration of the trip, it could be fun to split the stay between both properties :)

welch Aug 7, 2018 3:11 pm

At the beginning of July I toured Montage thinking I might stay there for a few days. I quickly changed my mind. It might be great for another guest but it certainly wasn't my ideal resort.

I'd just been at Chileno Bay and my feelings are similar to KatW's. I was very impressed with the property. Service was not formal but very good and the restaurants were excellent. I also thought the rooms were very well designed and comfortable. The pools never felt crowded despite the hotel being sold out.

On the other hand, in my brief time at Montage I found the service lacking, the rooms I was shown were significantly smaller than those at Chileno and appeared to be form over function, e.g. a second story room with no "cover" over the very small outdoor shower turned it into virtual cement hotbox in the sun, the closet was the back of the bed's headboard- so quite small and possibly disruptive, seating in the room was an uncomfortable "love seat" at the foot of the bed.

I understand half the rooms were closed due to "issues" and yet the adult pool was packed. The lounge chairs were cheek by jowl, reminiscent of a cruise ship, and a giant tv screen at the swim up bar which served lunch (a pet peeve as I find food makes it's way into the pool more often than not) blared sports throughout the pool area.

There's a cabana like "box" by the pool for the pool staff, about 12 X12. It looked like it would be miserably hot in the sun. My guess is that was the reason the staff stood outside eating their lunch from take out boxes but you'd think there would be a better option.

The family pool was almost devoid of adults but the kids made up for it in enthusiasm. There were a couple of rooms, close by this pool, with loud music playing on their terraces. I got the idea there were families using the music in their rooms to entertain them poolside. Maybe if you had children this would have been fine but it wasn't where I'd chose to spend time.
At a (very) quick glance the beach wasn't as appealing as Chileno Bay.

Please understand that I did not spend a night or eat here. Perhaps a time when the hotel is less busy would mitigate some of these issues.

It's been a few years since I've stayed at Las Ventanas. When I did I very much enjoyed the resort.

farbster Aug 8, 2018 2:40 pm

I know this is off topic, but do hotels often have pools for the staff?

welch Aug 8, 2018 9:41 pm

Ha! I'm notorious for wording things strangely. Did I allude to this in some way?
Sounds like a great idea to me (in the Cabo heat), lol.

Kent Aug 9, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 30048675)
We stay frequently in Cabo. Know nothing about Montage but suspect your agent may be otherwise incented. If you are not with kids, there is no better venue than Ventanas, period.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...l-paraiso-2135

Pretty much this. I've been going 20 plus years and have not heard of Montage. I'd look at which place you like the decor the most of between Las Ventanas, Chileno Bay, and Palmilla, and whether or not a swimmable beach is important to you. Personally, I'm biased towards Palmilla for its location, decor, spa, and charm. I can't speak to food at the properties as I either eat at home or go to restaurants in San Jose.

BESVISOR Aug 9, 2018 9:54 am

For people considering something different than Las Ventanas, aside from the new Montage, The Pedregal gets pretty good feedback as well. About 30 minutes south of Las Ventanas.

However, I do still favor Las Ventanas :)

KatW Aug 9, 2018 11:03 am

Pedregal was iffy for us. Lack of shade throughout the resort. Plunge pool at one-bedroom suite too warm. Suite on the small side. When we were there two years ago, it was populated largely by misbehaving Americans. We will not return.