Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Montage vs Las Ventanas Cabo

Montage vs Las Ventanas Cabo

Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:03 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by KatW
Pedregal was iffy for us. Lack of shade throughout the resort. Plunge pool at one-bedroom suite too warm. Suite on the small side. When we were there two years ago, it was populated largely by misbehaving Americans. We will not return.
Thank you! Great to know.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Member

There yet is another option I recommend in Cabo. Whilst this boutique, SLH-associated venue is not luxury per se, it comes close. Plus it is smack on the old town (San Jose del Cabo) Zocalo and much more Mexican typical than any of the high end resorts. Service is kindly and professional. The small pool is a delight. At night, there are torches and pot fires flickering. It is a special, exquisite place.

We have stayed here many times. No beach, of course, since it is in town but there is a shuttle to ferry you to a beach with food and drink service.

You will want to book one of the two spa suites.

Casa Natalia
https://www.casanatalia.com/

bhrubin and H.Lombardo like this.

Last edited by KatW; Aug 9, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Pedregal was iffy for us. Lack of shade throughout the resort. Plunge pool at one-bedroom suite too warm. Suite on the small side. When we were there two years ago, it was populated largely by misbehaving Americans. We will not return.
I suspect Pedregal's ambience and guest population depends on the time of year/season. My husband went without me for our niece's wedding nearby right before the Capella switchover--and really loved it. He said the food/beverage was better than Las Ventanas and he liked the plunge pool in his otherwise standard but very spacious room. For the price, their accommodations tend to be on the more spacious side, too. He found the service to be very good, though he'd still give the edge to Las Ventanas. He also said nothing beats the Las Ventanas spa. But overall, he was very pleased and would gladly return.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:57 am

We just stayed at Las Ventanas for 3 nights, but went to Pedregal for dinner and dropped by Montage, Chileno and One&Only Palmilla for a show around.

For the Montage, I'm in agreement with welch. The Montage is obviously the new kid on the block, so that always gets attention, and there are definitely positives to be found, but the property has no charm and could be anywhere. It doesn't have the elegance, space and privacy that you'll get in Las Ventanas, particularly with the resort focused around their pools by the beach, which felt nothing but low-end. With only the beach restaurant open during lunch time, I imagine it's even more unpleasant. Not only that, but another residence is on the same, small beach, so you're all vying for space. Even though there were a lot of families there, it still had the feel of a resort aiming for a younger crowd. In a weird way, some of the design reminded me a bit of Amangiri, which isn't a massive compliment when the beautiful surroundings aren't present.

Whilst you cannot really judge until you've stayed, were I to return I'd put them in this order:
  1. Las Ventanas al Paraiso
  2. The Resort at Pedregal
  3. One&Only Palmila
  4. Chileno Bay
  5. Montage Los Cabos
Pictures from Las Ventanas:

bhrubin, BESVISOR and mkm4 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

@MacMyDay how was the food/beverage for LVP and any of the other properties you sampled? We had a very nice LVP stay many years ago but were a bit let down by the F/B.

Also, I’m most curious what you thought of the LVP spa. My hubby says it’s the best spa he’s ever enjoyed.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@MacMyDay how was the food/beverage for LVP and any of the other properties you sampled? We had a very nice LVP stay many years ago but were a bit let down by the F/B.
I'd have considered LVP the best food we had during our entire trip, right up until we went to El Restaurante, their Mexican restaurant. Now I can understand that at Rosewood Mayakoba their Asian restaurant wasn't the best, as it's ran by a team of Mexicans in Mexico. I wouldn't expect some 3 Michelin star French chefs in Paris to be creating some of the finest Japanese food on earth either. Yet I would have hoped that Las Ventanas's Mexican food, in a Mexican restaurant, by a Mexican team, in Mexico, would have been better than the dross that was served up. When we gave our feedback, they starred as us like we were crazy. And that is my problem with LVP: they think so highly of themselves. They spent so long telling us how great they were, they forgot to be it. It reminded me of our Amanzoe 2017 stay, where no matter what you asked for, somehow something went wrong in the process.

The lowest point of the entire stay was receiving an invite to a cocktail event. Mayakoba held a similar one, where all guests were invited and staff would come and mingle. We were told management would be present, so we went along. Instead there were 4 sales guys from the residences team, show casing one of the residences in case someone wanted to buy it. It was the tackiest thing I've ever seen in a luxury resort, even more so by the blatant subterfuge of getting people there.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Also, I’m most curious what you thought of the LVP spa. My hubby says it’s the best spa he’s ever enjoyed.
Every single hotel we stayed at, or visited, on this trip (excluding Four Seasons Mexico City) had exactly the same spa facilities: separate male/female, with plunge pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. In terms of any treatments, I rarely bother and just use the facilities, but Lucie declined going for a treatment out of a matter of principle. It may sound strange that we spend so much on travel that we would baulk at a massage, but it feels completely unjustifiable to charge $288 for an hour massage. In comparison, for a 2 hour massage at The Connaught it's $326 (Ł250). I'm not going to claim the rooms are a bargain price, although I have no issue with what they charge - yet once you step foot on property it's another story.

Overall, LVP is far superior to Mayakoba. It feels more classy, elegant, private and all other adjectives that sound good. Yet I still am very unlikely to return, as they did nothing to truly impress me. Yet I really do love their facilities, especially their relatively new Oasis pool, and thought it fared better than their competition in offering a sense of place and enough space that it didn't ever feel crowded. I'll wait for Four Seasons and Aman before returning to the area.
bhrubin, mkm4 and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Yet I would have hoped that Las Ventanas's Mexican food, in a Mexican restaurant, by a Mexican team, in Mexico, would have been better than the dross that was served up.
That has been my experience of Mexican food . . . every time! I agree with Jeremy Clarkson's verdict who described Mexican cuisine as 'sick with cheese on it.' To which I'd add, all wrapped up in a cardboard pancake.

That Rosewood resort looks rather conventional . . .
MacMyDay and vuittonsofstyle like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:52 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I largely must agree with @MacMyDay’s overview of LVP. While we had a nice Thanksgiving stay many years ago, we’ve never quite felt the need to return. The average F/B were part of it for us; the ridiculous prices and exorbitant taxes on top of those really were the biggest factor. Overall, we too felt the cost/benefit was far too high for what was delivered compared to other wonderful properties in other desirable locations. We talk about returning to Zihuatanejo and La Casa Que Canta far more often than anything in Cabo.

@Pausanias, that’s quite harsh on Mexican food, I think! I have had tremendous Mexican food in Mexico City, at the StR Punta Mita, and in select restaurants here in the USA (Californios in SF and Taco Maria in OC chief among them). Most of the Mexican food served to American audiences almost anywhere tends to be more Tex Mex style or some other form of Americanized/sanitized hybrid of Mexican food rather than truly authentic Mexican cuisine IMO.

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Las Ventanas is beautiful, but I agree 100% on the food and beverage. It is average and wildly overpriced. We have been to dinner at their flagship Mexican restaurant several times in the last few years and it seems to get ever more expensive and mediocre each time we visit.

I kind of have the same impression about the Montage as Macmyday.. It just seemed a little sterile to me. We have a couple of nice meals at their beach restaurant. The problem is that all of the beaches in Mexico are public so you cant do much about the beach atmosphere unless it is secluded like the FS Punta Mita.

You should have visited Esperanza which is still my favorite.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Member

MacMyDay, is your rating of Pedregal based on dining there only or have you stayed there?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:28 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I have the opposite review: I found the hotel to be boring and big box but the food to be quite good. But with the recent spate of violence, I'm personally going to avoid SJC.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by DSI
I'm personally going to avoid SJC.
DSI you mean SJD.... Thx, ABG
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:03 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by ABG
DSI you mean SJD.... Thx, ABG
oops, lowest murder rate in North America vs. the highest rate.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:34 am

MacMyDay, is your rating of Pedregal based on dining there only or have you stayed there?
Just dining and a show around. There were some rooms that were very unappealing due to just how exposed you would be in them, but Las Ventanas suffers exactly the same issue.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:46 am

Does anyone have a favorite room at the Only & Only Palmilla?

Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.