Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Is Aman building in Kyoto

Is Aman building in Kyoto

Reply

Old Jul 22, 18, 6:54 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Is Aman building in Kyoto

I am just looking for somewhere else for another friend
HollyMclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 18, 9:04 pm
  #2  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Posts: 1,713
Yes they are.
chinmoylad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 18, 9:12 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,479
do you know the site?
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 18, 10:48 pm
  #4  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,651
Likely ready only after AmanNY opens .. at the rate things have been going ( or not ) .
Was hoping in time for RWC 19 , still hoping
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 18, 10:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 84
When I was at Amankila back in March I meet a gentlemen (forgot his name) who was head of fire safety for Aman globally. Based in SG, I believe, Aussie bloke. They were doing a fire drill at Kila and I met him then, then chatted with him a few times over the course of my stay. He commented that the Kyoto property would be open in 2019.

But then for Vari & NY to have spots on the website already, and even the Costa Rica one to have a promo video, yet nothing on Kyoto makes me think the 2019 date might be aspirational....

Although I hope not, as I am ready to visit that property as soon as it opens!
nmuva98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 18, 11:28 pm
  #6  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by nmuva98 View Post
When I was at Amankila back in March I meet a gentlemen (forgot his name) who was head of fire safety for Aman globally. Based in SG, I believe, Aussie bloke. They were doing a fire drill at Kila and I met him then, then chatted with him a few times over the course of my stay. He commented that the Kyoto property would be open in 2019.

But then for Vari & NY to have spots on the website already, and even the Costa Rica one to have a promo video, yet nothing on Kyoto makes me think the 2019 date might be aspirational....

Although I hope not, as I am ready to visit that property as soon as it opens!
While not saying it will open by 2019, but that which appears dead is not always so!

Maybe they'll just 'open' it and announce it, like with Amanruya (reopening) without a huge preview etc? Think Amandayan was opened in a similar manner too.
chinmoylad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:13 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,479
dayan indeed example to use, under current owner

no residences at kyoto, also not north america
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:20 pm
  #8  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,139
Anyone know the location for the Aman Kyoto?
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:38 pm
  #9  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Anyone know the location for the Aman Kyoto?
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
do you know the site?
Yes , trying to locate it again on Google earth . Forgot “ name “ , drove by area last year . Somewhere between Suiran / bamboo forest & RC Kyoto - sorry not much help here .. hopefully memory will be jolted sooner than later

.. ​​​​​​​I know the area , perhaps should not post yet ?

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 29, 18 at 6:58 am
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 18, 5:31 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
You can read a lot about Aman Kyoto in the book of Kerry Hill, the architect of the hotel. The renderings and location look very promising
thedesignhotel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 18, 12:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,589
Originally Posted by thedesignhotel View Post
You can read a lot about Aman Kyoto in the book of Kerry Hill, the architect of the hotel. The renderings and location look very promising

Can you share link?
damaxer91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 18, 4:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by thedesignhotel View Post
You can read a lot about Aman Kyoto in the book of Kerry Hill, the architect of the hotel. The renderings and location look very promising
I was just reading this through an d thinking about the Aman Kyoto designs in the Kerry Hill book as well.

The fact that the book was published in 2012 and the designs I think had been around for a while at that point show how long this project has taken to get off the ground (and two other Japan Amans came first!)

The project name if I remember right was Amaniwa?
ajca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:58 pm
  #13  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,651

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post




Yes , trying to locate it again on Google earth . Forgot “ name “ , drove by area last year . Somewhere between Suiran / bamboo forest & RC Kyoto - sorry not much help here .. hopefully memory will be jolted sooner than later

.. I know the area , perhaps should not post yet ?
​​​​​​​

Sad that Kerry HILL can no longer oversee any of the refurbishments , of his Aman projects , etcetera . RIP .

Near Golden Temple in Takagamine area
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 18, 3:18 pm
  #14  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
do you know the site?
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Likely ready only after AmanNY opens .. at the rate things have been going ( or not ) .
Was hoping in time for RWC 19 , still hoping
Originally Posted by nmuva98 View Post
When I was at Amankila back in March I meet a gentlemen (forgot his name) who was head of fire safety for Aman globally. Based in SG, I believe, Aussie bloke. They were doing a fire drill at Kila and I met him then, then chatted with him a few times over the course of my stay. He commented that the Kyoto property would be open in 2019.

But then for Vari & NY to have spots on the website already, and even the Costa Rica one to have a promo video, yet nothing on Kyoto makes me think the 2019 date might be aspirational....

Although I hope not, as I am ready to visit that property as soon as it opens!
With the shortage of rooms in the Kyoto hotel situation in recent years , still hoping Niwa opens next year , preferably before the RWC .
But with Kerry HILL s passing it still seems like a construction site though .
Suppose one can always make easy day trips from Osaka with more palatable hotel rates .. if not wanting to stay at FS , RC , ryokans or the PH - set to open next year .. But not an Aman !
Really will be a beautiful addition to the Amans in this lovely area with numerous UNESCO heritage sites .
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 19, 5:41 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 68
Announced today...

https://www.aman.com/resorts/aman-kyoto

cheers
laoshu is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread