Nice, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Interesting. Opening Nov 2019....

announched adter Amanvari, NYC and Costa Rica but opening before all of them

fdw
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Interesting. Opening Nov 2019....

announched adter Amanvari, NYC and Costa Rica but opening before all of them

fdw
Because Japan...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kyoto >

interior similar to 2013 kerry hill book
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/64943757jw1e2xka0uqhdj.jpg

feb 2017 gallivanters guide heard resumed

(below ise = nemu, opened mar 2016)

11/27/2013 nikkei article, says construction may 2014

dec 2012 >
Originally Posted by 5khours
heard that Tokyo is opening in 2014 followed by Kyoto and Ise
Star Union Trading Limited acquired other 67% stake on sep 21 2012 for $5m
during mar 2010 > mar 2013 DLF expended $3m on their 33% stake in aman kyoto
in 2007 natural park sold to aman a 33% stake in aman kyoto (plus land in croatia)
is / was called Kyoto Resorts YK and was originally land acquisition

vs >

new - new york (doronin acquired 2015) and cabo
maybe never - costa rica - if residences dont presell

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 4, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Count me a skeptic. I'll probably be the first to go, but...

1) Why Kerry Hill. Not criticizing, but traditional Japanese architecture is magical.
2) Why out of the center of things. Long way to go out for Kyoto night life.
3) Highly unlikely they will be able to produce really outstanding Japanese cuisine.
4) Strikes me more as a poor Disneyland copy of what is supposed to be an authentic Japanese experience.

This will probably still be a money maker because most foreigners are totally incapable of appreciating Japanese artistic and culinary culture (pearls to swine,) but for Amanjunkies or Japan aficionados, I'm betting this will be a big disappointment.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:57 am

1) Why Kerry Hill. Not criticizing, but traditional Japanese architecture is magical.
3) Highly unlikely they will be able to produce really outstanding Japanese cuisine.
4) Strikes me more as a poor Disneyland copy of what is supposed to be an authentic Japanese experience.

This will probably still be a money maker because most foreigners are totally incapable of appreciating Japanese artistic and culinary culture (pearls to swine,) but for Amanjunkies or Japan aficionados, I'm betting this will be a big disappointment.
I can be critical of the 'new' Aman but...

1) Why not Kerry Hill? He is one of the few out there who pioneered LOCAL architecture and celebrated local building codes, craftsmanship and choices of material.
2) Who wants night life? I certainly don't.
3) I agree, this remains to be seen.
4) I think we have enough of these, don't you think? I am looking forward to the twist that the property brings to the scene. Both R-C and FS are very successful in Kyoto, but a totally different type of property. FS have been very open about trying to be market leader and aiming to raise the ADR in Kyoto over the next years and the Aman project certainly might help with it.

I have waited a long time for Kyoto and am curious how it turns out. Certainly gets me more excited than New York or more typical "cities" he is trying to do.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The room picture seems a bit austere and cookie cutter. Like Aman Tokyo and nothing aspirational. I'm sure it will be absurdly expensive (the market rate leader) and make tons of money for the owners.

Most luxury properties in Kyoto require a taxi to go places and this isn't any different.

I would hope they could do decent kyoryori since we're in Kyoto!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:47 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

1) He's designed the other two Japanese Amans, and many other Amans - why Kerry Hill in Bali? There's already Hoshinoya, and a slew of actual local ryokans/inns. This brings a nice balance. From the photos at least, I find the Suiran and Four Seasons Kyoto (most rooms, though I do admit they have some themed rooms) far too cookie cutter/contemporary, and the Ritz Kyoto as a whole is actually a luxury international hotel in Kyoto with somee elements of Japanese architecture/design. This is taking it one step further - I'd probably liken it to Amanfayun, but of course it isn't built in a 200-odd year old village with remnants of the old structures.
2) I don't think most people are going to Aman or Kyoto (on this forum) for its nightlife
3) Remains to be seen
4) Remains to be soon

It's an old Zecha/Kerry Hill project so let's see.
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:20 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
There's only one way to know for sure...so I will go!!!
LinLant likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:29 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
I can be critical of the 'new' Aman but...

1) Why not Kerry Hill? He is one of the few out there who pioneered LOCAL architecture and celebrated local building codes, craftsmanship and choices of material.
2) Who wants night life? I certainly don't.
3) I agree, this remains to be seen.
4) I think we have enough of these, don't you think? I am looking forward to the twist that the property brings to the scene. Both R-C and FS are very successful in Kyoto, but a totally different type of property. FS have been very open about trying to be market leader and aiming to raise the ADR in Kyoto over the next years and the Aman project certainly might help with it.

I have waited a long time for Kyoto and am curious how it turns out. Certainly gets me more excited than New York or more typical "cities" he is trying to do.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
1) He's designed the other two Japanese Amans, and many other Amans - why Kerry Hill in Bali? There's already Hoshinoya, and a slew of actual local ryokans/inns. This brings a nice balance. From the photos at least, I find the Suiran and Four Seasons Kyoto (most rooms, though I do admit they have some themed rooms) far too cookie cutter/contemporary, and the Ritz Kyoto as a whole is actually a luxury international hotel in Kyoto with somee elements of Japanese architecture/design. This is taking it one step further - I'd probably liken it to Amanfayun, but of course it isn't built in a 200-odd year old village with remnants of the old structures.
2) I don't think most people are going to Aman or Kyoto (on this forum) for its nightlife
3) Remains to be seen
4) Remains to be soon

It's an old Zecha/Kerry Hill project so let's see.
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
There's only one way to know for sure...so I will go!!!
+1
Will go to !
Hoping no delays so will potentially run the gauntlet during RWC - what a decision at start of the Year of the Pig !
Blessed Lunar New Year

Waiting to hear from HQ LON & ..

scented, BESVISOR and LinLant like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

+1
Will go to !
Hoping no delays so will potentially run the gauntlet during RWC - what a decision at start of the Year of the Pig !
Blessed Lunar New Year

Waiting to hear from HQ LON & ..

Do we know the GM yet?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Aventine
Most luxury properties in Kyoto require a taxi to go places and this isn't any different.
Tawaraya,Hiragiya?

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Go to Kyoto and not visit Gion or eat in Pontocho?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it definitely would have been interesting and unique if aman had done traditional ryokan style (if someone could design that) but with better regarded dining, service, etc in aman style

80 acres , 28 BR (28 room hiiragiya , 18 room tawaraya)
2 x 2BR villas
4 x 6 room buildings
arrival, living, dining, spa buildings

however bad, it's not larger box hotel
always great to see alternative to box

seems zecha used hill (the most), tuttle, gathy for different things
presumably zecha could have picked tuttle for kyoto, but did not
interesting jaya ibrahim also did (only) fayun and dayan in china
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post30407874
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post11083953

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:33 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Got an email from Aman about this hotel an hour ago.

Any ideas on when they they will start taking reservations? Already planning to be in Kyoto in November so would love to spend a night there before resuming my trip.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Got an email from Aman about this hotel an hour ago.

Any ideas on when they they will start taking reservations? Already planning to be in Kyoto in November so would love to spend a night there before resuming my trip.
No date set yet, expected to be around March when they start taking reservations.

Peak season (sakura etc) rates are going to be crazy - even more so than Amanemu which are already quite high.
Rusdude likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.