Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on where to go next?

Old Jul 11, 18, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold

First world problems but I am having a hard time deciding where to book our next summer vacation to. This might seem strange but I have to plan the longer vacations (10-14 days) almost a year out so I can get my SO to agree to taking that much time off work. A European destination is preferred as travel time and the number of flights to get there is not open ended. We usually prefer a mix of some city and beach (or at least resort) type mix itinerary so we can get some R&R. We have found that if we do just city vacations we come home more tired than when we left. Luxury or at least high-end hotels are a must so that eliminates some areas As if these points didn't present enough of a challenge, we have visited the following locations in the last couple of years so I am optimally looking to try something new or at least a new option in the countries we have been to.

Here's what we have done:
Spain - 2 trips that included Barcelona, Madrid, Mallorca, Rioja wine region and the beach area south of Barcelona.
Portugal - Algarve and Lisbon
France - Paris, Cannes and Nice
Italy - Milan, Florence and Rome
Greece - 2 trips that included Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and 2 trips to Crete

I'm leaning towards:
Italy - Florence and ???
Turkey - Istanbul, Bodrum and ???
Greece - 3rd trip staying on the mainland and trying a resort in the Thessaloniki area....maybe Aman and/or Corfu and/or Costa Navarino area
Croatia/Montenegro - Split, Dubrovnik and a resort....maybe Aman (I've been following the thread on this discussion in the Luxury Hotels forum)

Which would you opt for based on where we have been? What else could be an option or what would you suggest to add or remove from any of the options?

Thanks in advance for the forums help!
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anytime?

might do amanzoe before end of 2019
and might do amanruya as it didnt open last year

italy has resort style, but tougher for beach (il san pietro)
many here have done that turkey combination
aman sveti has several beaches

type/quality of 'beach' varies dramatically

northern italy could add venice off season - aman, cipriani, etc
also even better for leisure style, feltrinelli on lake garda

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 12, 18 at 12:08 pm
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:45 pm

How about adding Cappadocia to your Turkey trip. I've never been there, but it looks great. I loved our visit to Istanbul.

Have you looked at Lake Como or Amalfi Coast? How about combining Vienna and some Austria with either Lake Como or Amalfi. You could fly non-stop from Vienna to either Milan or Naples. My wife and I both loved Como and Amalfi. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo and Hotel Santa Caterina. I would recommend both. IMO, the Amalfi Coast can't be beat.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
anytime?

might do amanzoe before end of 2019
and might do amanruya as it didnt open last year

italy has resort style, but tougher for beach
many here have done that turkey combination
aman sveti has several beaches

type/quality of 'beach' varies dramatically

northern italy could add venice off season - aman, cipriani, etc
Timing likely in June. In cities we typically book a room since we don't spend much time in the room but in resort areas we like to book a suite. (Even thought we don't spend much time in the suite either. ) Budget? That's always a tough question. We have a ton of hotel points so using some of those would be great at least for a portion of the trip. As for pricing, we are willing to spend if it makes sense or I wouldn't be considering the Amanzoe which is over 1000 Euros for some nights I checked and Aman Sveti was around 800 Euro.

Originally Posted by farbster View Post
How about adding Cappadocia to your Turkey trip. I've never been there, but it looks great. I loved our visit to Istanbul.

Have you looked at Lake Como or Amalfi Coast? How about combining Vienna and some Austria with either Lake Como or Amalfi. You could fly non-stop from Vienna to either Milan or Naples. My wife and I both loved Como and Amalfi. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo and Hotel Santa Caterina. I would recommend both. IMO, the Amalfi Coast can't be beat.
I love Istanbul too and it is part of the reason I am considering it again. My SO has not been. Cappadocia is an interesting option I had not considered.

Vienna is a no go since I am there 4-5 times a year for work. Como and Amalfi definite options that I thought about. Thanks for hotel suggestions which I will look up.
Old Jul 11, 18, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some vary a lot by season

aman sveti island 850 at beginning/end of season
2018 sep 12 - oct 14
2019 may 1 - jun 11 , sep 10 - oct 14

ruya 719 / 959, currently not showing 2019
zoe 880 > 1880 (owner planning to sell)
venice 950 > 1350
feltrinelli apr 13 - oct 14 1300 at beginning/end
FS florence also used to vary a lot, free night varies

ruya has done free nights - direct, virtuoso, US FHR