Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Istanbul?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Which hotel in Istanbul?

Going to stop for 3 nights in Istanbul to avoid a 7 hr layover on the way to Egypt for a two week tour but can't decide between the Four Seasons, Raffles or St Regis.

Any advice or other options worth looking at?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Cyan123
Going to stop for 3 nights in Istanbul to avoid a 7 hr layover on the way to Egypt for a two week tour but can't decide between the Four Seasons, Raffles or St Regis.

Any advice or other options worth looking at?
Four Seasons Bosporus certainly has a resort feel to it, with very good Spa, very acceptable F&B and gorgeous terrace. Their coveted suites are a bit easier to get these days from what I gather and they are a bit more generous.

Raffles, when it opened, was my favorite in the city, but things may have changed since then, as my last stay was years ago. Raffles certainly more city hotel than FS.

Can't comment on StR, but service standards in Istanbul are generally high.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:31 pm

Had a phenomenal stay at SR last year; a few years prior had a very enjoyably stay at FS Bosphorus.

I think it really comes down to whether you want to be on the river or not. Having done it once, SR is where I would stay for my future visits.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Personally loved the Kempinski. Lovely hotel, great architecture and again on the Bospherus.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Personally loved the Kempinski. Lovely hotel, great architecture and again on the Bospherus.
Have they renovated? I enjoyed all my stays there but it was looking ragged last time I was there and that was a couple years back.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Interesting how different experiences can be... thought it was awful, tired and blasé.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...think it will be FS but not sure which one now!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I stayed at Raffles back in 2015. I think I booked a JR Suite but was upgraded to a huge one bedroom suite. The physical product was great but not the location, very drab and sterile ( it's connected to a shopping mall ). I actually prefer the Four Seasons Sultanhamet which is a lot more historic and close to all the sights.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
A little unconventional, but we loved our suite at 10 Karakoy. Great neighborhood, wonderful rooms. Or The Vault Karakoy. Also great location.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks everyone...think it will be FS but not sure which one now!
If this will be your first visit to Istanbul, the FS Sultanahmet is very well located in the middle of the major tourist sites. It's a beautiful and unique property with a lot of character.

If you've been already to the major tourist sites and/or prefer to be closer to the fine dining/shopping in town, or don't mind a short 15-20 min trip to the tourist sites, then the FS Bosphorus, St Regis, or Park Hyatt can be better or more appropriate choices. In our case, we stayed at the PH even for our first stay in Istanbul--it was just a 15-20 min Uber/taxi drive to the FS Sultanahmet and major tourist sites and an easy 15-20 min train ride and short walk back.

If you want to be on the Bosphorus/have water views, the FS Bosphorus is your choice--but it is very pricey (I'd say overpriced) for the actual rooms/suites that look onto the Bosphorus. We didn't love the formal and sterile marble ambience of the property, actually. YMMV

If you want to be in the midst of the best shopping with lots of nearby restaurants, the PH and StR are the best choices--though it's just a 5-10 min Uber/taxi ride to the FS Bosphorus.

The PH and StR are barely a block apart from each other. The StR property offers more chances for Bosphorus views, but those are not guaranteed and are distant at best. Both are more modern and fresh in design aesthetic. Both have excellent service--and are known to be among the best in their portfolios. We had a fabulous stay at the PH. We would love to try the StR on our next stay because we love StR butler service.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief overnight in room with a Bosphorus view at FS Bosphorus . Was also seamless ride to the airport .
We had sailed in and already had a night on the ship after docking early in the day .
Our private guide had shown our group of 6 around and the next day both of us “ toured “ again .

We went by the other hotels and were glad we retreated to FS Bosphorus after the bustle of the city and with the calls to prayer by the mosques around the other hotels ( though this will help if you have an early flight ) .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 29, 2018 at 4:38 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:15 am
Original Poster

This is a first flying visit, only 2 full days to see as much as possible so FS Sultanahmet seems the best choice and we do have a 6.25 am flight out.

PH would have fitted well as it has a pool but a non smoking hotel!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This is a first flying visit, only 2 full days to see as much as possible so FS Sultanahmet seems the best choice and we do have a 6.25 am flight out.

PH would have fitted well as it has a pool but a non smoking hotel!
The PH is a gorgeous property. We had the Diplomatic Suite with our own Hanmam. The top suites are the only rooms with Bosphorus views.

The f&b is of a very high quality and the service very good. The pool is gorgeous and generally empty during weekdays.

I'm confused, are you opposed to non smoking hotels?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
A little unconventional, but we loved our suite at 10 Karakoy. Great neighborhood, wonderful rooms. Or The Vault Karakoy. Also great location.
Another unconventional choice is the Witt. I testify that the pictures on the Penthouse and King Panoramic pages are actually from the rooms: Penthouse ? Witt Istanbul Hotel

Not on the water but the views are amazing and when the call to prayers go off it is magical. Not right adjacent to anything but a decently short walk from many.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The PH is a gorgeous property. We had the Diplomatic Suite with our own Hanmam. The top suites are the only rooms with Bosphorus views.

The f&b is of a very high quality and the service very good. The pool is gorgeous and generally empty during weekdays.

I'm confused, are you opposed to non smoking hotels?
No we just need one that has smoking areas/rooms with balconies that allow smoking. I hate smoking in the bedroom, having to go and stand outside the hotel or not being able to smoke when by the pool.

I have booked the FS Sultanahmet so fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.