Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best luxury options for large family group - January

Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

Mr Floridagal and I recently had our first child (baby girl Floridagal) and travel looks a bit different to us these days.(No promises we won’t book the new singita lodge for a parents only vacation, though!) We are planning a vacation to include my in laws, sister and brother in law, and their son (a few months older than ours) probably in early January of next year. Everyone prefers Zika-free areas at this point, so we are somewhat limited to warm weather options in the US, the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, and anywhere else that you can think of that fits the bill. Some people are on the west coast so hawaii was floated as an option, but we all go there fairly regularly and travel is a pain for us east coasters for a short trip. Ideally some sort of nicer all inclusive should work - with nice dining options and accommodations but where we can all keep to our own schedules. If not an all inclusive, something where we can bring a chef in at not insane prices,or perhaps nearby dining a la Mayakoba resort complex. I am open to booking a larger staffed villa as well if it’s in a resort setting. Thank you!

Last edited by floridagal23; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does it have to be warm weather? The babies are young for beach or pools.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does it have to be warm weather? The babies are young for beach or pools.
i would prefer warm weather because I live in NYC and like to defrost. But we are open to other areas.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:27 pm
Original Member

Esperanza in Cabo
https://esperanza.aubergeresorts.com/

Four Seasons Punta Mita, just north of Puerto Vallarta
https://www.fourseasons.com/puntamita/
Also, St. Regis Punta Mira
Punta Mita Resort | St. Regis Punta Mita

Sent from my iPad
bhrubin and damon88 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Esperanza in Cabo
https://esperanza.aubergeresorts.com/

Four Seasons Punta Mita, just north of Puerto Vallarta
https://www.fourseasons.com/puntamita/
Also, St. Regis Punta Mira
Punta Mita Resort St. Regis Punta Mita

Sent from my iPad
thanks! These are all excellent options but mexico is unfortunately out due to Zika concerns.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 bedrooms? condos at luxury hotels?

bahamas , grand cayman (, florida?) are zika free?
in US not sure re georgia and south carolina in jan
FS surf club miami is new, good reports, cabana rooms
some with free night offers may later extend into jan

private rentals are option at some luxury hotels, i think including houses at FS ocean club (former O&O) and definitely including condos (houses only via inspirato) at RC grand cayman

presumably bermuda? rosewood has 3BR residences and presumably other adjacent options

increasingly north in US >
blackberry farm is full board
twin farms and the point are all inclusive
although can rent great villa at that price

little st simons island also all inclusive, but very different
16 rooms (1-4 BR) from 425 or 16-room buyout from 6500
only 'hotel' on the 40 km2 island 'adjacent' to sea island

FS experimented with all-inclusive 'offer' rates
could always try negotiating a prepaid nightly fee

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I just returned from Turks an Caicos, inspecting some of the Villa options there (Beach Enclave, Amanyara and The Shore Club)...I think Turks and Caico would be an ideal option as it's quick from NYC and one of the best beaches in the Caribbean.

For Amanyara rooms or villas, it's full board right now with their Season of Discovery promotion + free night if you say 6 nights. If booking villas.
They fumigate daily as well.

But also agree that FS Surfside is a great option...Just had a family from NYC stay there 3 weeks ago and loved it. Parents + a new born, and they found it to be a great fit.

Cheers!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

turks and most of caribbean has had zika, right?

jan is not free night, unless extended FHR / V

separately re st barts, how has recovery been?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Guanahani on St Barth?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:33 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
turks and most of caribbean has had zika, right?

jan is not free night, unless extended FHR / V

separately re st barts, how has recovery been?
Yup, was in a hurry and missed the Jan detail...but can probably still pull some strings to make Villas include some amenities that's not available otherwise.
Yeah, Zika was in that area and if you're basing off of CDC, then it's still affected...But this has been one the on-going issue in which the properties are all stating a different stats than the CDC and painting a different story. Obviously, there's conflict of interest with the resorts but most of the do spray often and for a client visiting Amanera, we actually had Amanera arrange special setups to further prevent mosquitos.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if any ongoing cases, doesnt really matter what resort does, have to get there, and some do not just stay on property entire time

i think its best to let people make decision on this and any other similar issue, and give suggestions accordingly
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:48 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR

But also agree that FS Surfside is a great option...Just had a family from NYC stay there 3 weeks ago and loved it. Parents + a new born, and they found it to be a great fit.

Cheers!
Hotel residence rooms at FS Surfside would be a nice fit for a family. Hiring a chef though might not be cheap!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:18 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

Hotel residence rooms at FS Surfside would be a nice fit for a family. Hiring a chef though might not be cheap!
Agreed!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:22 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if any ongoing cases, doesnt really matter what resort does, have to get there, and some do not just stay on property entire time

i think its best to let people make decision on this and any other similar issue, and give suggestions accordingly
Agreed and I have advised all clients to use CDC as the measuring stick (better safe than sorry) but it seemed they weren't 100% ruling out Zika locations.
And to my knowledge they've not had a confirmed Zika case in Turks over the past 10 - 12 months. But back to the point, just personal comfort level, I probably would not risk it.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will let you know what we decide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.