Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Renting a car in Athens sounds like a nightmare to me.
Many car rental agencies, especially local, will meet you at your hotel and drive you out of the city, making it much less stressful. You can PM me for some recommendations on companies we have used.

That said...if you are spending big $$ on these first rate hotels, a couple hundred dollars for a driver is not out of line and would sure be a lot easier.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:06 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:08 am

We stayed in Grande Bretagne mid-May - it's a perfectly acceptable hotel if you need to be in Athens. Nothing more, nothing less.

Originally Posted by kurl
- Amanzoe - we will be doing five nights in the deluxe pool layout. Torn on sea view vs. valley view - is sea view a must? Any suggestions on particular rooms to request?
I've stayed 6 times and have seen them change the room types numerous times, from initially 4 types, then down to 2, and now back to 4 again. As mentioned upthread, there really is no sea view in the first place. I felt it was much more fair when they only had 2 room types: 6ft or 12ft pool, as at least it was distinguishable as to what you were getting. I tend to stick with a room nearer the pool restaurant, as it's also close to the spa and reception and therefore involves less walking.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan

I was disappointed with Delphi. Having learned the programming language many years earlier, and being interested in history I had high expectations, though think that the tour guide who we had was incredibly dull, so it could have just been bad luck for us
So sorry about your reaction to Delphi.... it really is a place meant for an overnight and experiencing the town and ruins in the morning w/o the day tourists.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Pavilion 21 had a pretty sea view (see trip report for picture). The view is framed by trees so there is privacy, too.

Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Those that have stayed at Amanzoe are there any local restaurants that you'd recommend outside of the hotel for dinner?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:02 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Those that have stayed at Amanzoe are there any local restaurants that you'd recommend outside of the hotel for dinner?
nothing close by.....

its pretty isolated. I guess you can drive into Porto Heli but it didn’t seem worth the effort....

fdw
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:08 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Nothing really, except if you go on an excursion to Spetses and have lunch or dinner there. That`s why I am just so happy we decided to stay at Spetses before coming to Zoe. Fantastic restaurants, even really low prices, so we had so much good local food before Zoe where the food was really a disappointment for us. And very, very expensive as well.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Ahh the concierge sent me the following list if it's helpful to anyone else:

Spetses - Ground transfer to Kosta Port (15 minutes) & water taxi to Spetses (10 minutes)

Tarsanas, Fish tavern
Water of Love, Greek Restaurant

Hydra - Ground transfer to Metochi Port (40 minutes) & water taxi to Hydra (15 minutes)

Xeri Elia – Douskos Tavern
Omilos – Yacht club

Nafplio - Ground transfer from Amanzoe 1 1⁄2 hour

Savouras, Fish tavern with sea view on the sea side road of the old town
Koilada - Ground transfer from Amanzoe 15 minutes

Douglas’, Local Fish Tavern
Mouragio Tavern, Greek traditional cuisine
Ermioni - Ground transfer from Amanzoe 15 to 20 minutes
Spirandreas, Fish Tavern – overlooking pier – ferry/boats

Kavos, Fish Tavern with great sunset

Iliokastro- Ground transfer from Amanzoe 25 to 30 minutes

Maryvonne, French & Greek Tavern

Porto Heli - Ground transfer from Amanzoe 10 minutes

Papadias, Fish tavern
Salt & Pepper, Home cooked Tavern food
Hinitsa Bay - Ground transfer from Amanzoe 15 minutes
Hinitsa Tavern, Lovely setting & fish tavern food

We have the Aquazoe boat trip booked so we will have a chance to explore local islands.
mkm4 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:15 pm

I would highly recommend the GB over the neighboring King George. The GB has the rooftop pool and the KG does not have an outdoor pool. After going around Athens, it was great to sit by the pool for a bit.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
I would highly recommend the GB over the neighboring King George. The GB has the rooftop pool and the KG does not have an outdoor pool. After going around Athens, it was great to sit by the pool for a bit.

Enjoy!
Unless I am mistaken guests of the KG have full use of the spa and pool at the GB.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david55
So sorry about your reaction to Delphi.... it really is a place meant for an overnight and experiencing the town and ruins in the morning w/o the day tourists.

Based upon a friend’s very good experience we have booked a private day tour there during our stay at Grand Bretagne.

She absolutely loved it.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by damon88
Based upon a friend’s very good experience we have booked a private day tour there during our stay at Grand Bretagne.
Did you book thru the hotel? How much did they charge?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
Did you book thru the hotel? How much did they charge?

We used the company the Hotel recommends- George's taxi

Concerning Delphi you have the following options:

· Countryside Journey to Delphi (around 10 hours) : Price290 euros
· Delphi & Osios Loukas Monastery ( around 12 hours) : Price 320 euros
· Delphi & villages (Levadia, Arachova) (around 12 hours) : Price 320 euros

All prices are per trip not per person, valid for the Mercedes E-Class sedan taxi vehicle and for pick up/drop off at a hotel/accommodation in Athens city center or Piraeus.

Everything is included in the prices except for entrance fees and meals.

We are huge history buffs and I have been dreaming about Greece ever since I read D’Aulaires Book of Greek Myths as a little girl. There was no way when we planned our trip to Athens that I was going to miss Delphi. Everyone told us that 3-4 days in Athens would be more than enough, but as our trip approaches, in hindsight I wish we had at least one extra day.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
We used the company the Hotel recommends- George's taxi

Concerning Delphi you have the following options:

· Countryside Journey to Delphi (around 10 hours) : Price290 euros
· Delphi & Osios Loukas Monastery ( around 12 hours) : Price 320 euros
· Delphi & villages (Levadia, Arachova) (around 12 hours) : Price 320 euros

All prices are per trip not per person, valid for the Mercedes E-Class sedan taxi vehicle and for pick up/drop off at a hotel/accommodation in Athens city center or Piraeus.

Everything is included in the prices except for entrance fees and meals.

George's Taxi is well regarded and the recommendation of Matt Barrett, whose website is one the best for all of Greece. His FB page offers a wealth of information as well. Matt Barrett's Guides to Greece and the Greek Islands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.