Greece itinerary help

Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:15 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david55
George's Taxi is well regarded and the recommendation of Matt Barrett, whose website is one the best for all of Greece. His FB page offers a wealth of information as well. Matt Barrett's Guides to Greece and the Greek Islands
I haven't had time to delve into Matt's info yet but I did join his FB group at your suggestion.
We have made our plans for both Athens and Santorini already but have not even begun to make plans for Crete yet- we will be there for 5 nights.

George's Taxi has been a pleasure to work with. We are also using them for our airport transportation and a driving tour of Athens.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 pm

A few comments after a recent trip.
I cannot discourage enough renting a car in Athens. There are many good suggestions here for private cars for your touring and all the official guides in Greece are certified. Delphi was amazing (it's a good amount of walking). The drive alone was interesting and pretty. The recent NYT article on Athens has pinpointed the new emerging spot for dining in Athens. The concierge at the GB had good suggestions as well.

The GB was terrific. I'd probably use FHR or Virtuouso to get a slightly better room confirmed.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
A few comments after a recent trip.
I cannot discourage enough renting a car in Athens. There are many good suggestions here for private cars for your touring and all the official guides in Greece are certified. Delphi was amazing (it's a good amount of walking). The drive alone was interesting and pretty. The recent NYT article on Athens has pinpointed the new emerging spot for dining in Athens. The concierge at the GB had good suggestions as well.

The GB was terrific. I'd probably use FHR or Virtuouso to get a slightly better room confirmed.
Do you know which room type you had? We have a Junior Suite on points with SNAs pending for our first stay and for our second 1 night stay we booked an Acropolis View room. I've only heard good things about GB.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
Do you know which room type you had? We have a Junior Suite on points with SNAs pending for our first stay and for our second 1 night stay we booked an Acropolis View room. I've only heard good things about GB.
I have stayed at the GB numerous times over my lifetime ( as early as 1968 and most recently in 2015). It truly is the grand dame of Athens. I stopped staying there several years ago when I decided that the unknown factor of which room and where it will be located in the hotel until our check-in had me anxious. I also got bored fast at the spa and realized that was an amenity I didn't need.

I now pick hotels in Athens that are smaller, boutique where I know at booking the exact room I am getting.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55
I have stayed at the GB numerous times over my lifetime ( as early as 1968 and most recently in 2015). It truly is the grand dame of Athens. I stopped staying there several years ago when I decided that the unknown factor of which room and where it will be located in the hotel until our check-in had me anxious. I also got bored fast at the spa and realized that was an amenity I didn't need.

I now pick hotels in Athens that are smaller, boutique where I know at booking the exact room I am getting.
Yes, but this is our first trip to Athens and we really want to stay at this iconic hotel. Also- we will see if our new Ambassador can help work a little magic. So far I have been very pleased with her.

I will definitely post a review of the GB when we return.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
Due to a corporate rate, I booked and received a "Classic King." The hotel was full and no upgrades were available.
I have had junior suites at this property before and they are also small and variable.
A good virtuoso agent can probably help you here with sorting out which room you are likely to get.
I don't know if an Acropolis view room is essential, as you're then facing the noisiest street. The best view of the Acropolis can be had at the rooftop lounge. To me, I'd want to get a larger room, regardless of view or location.
Having said all that, this is still the best place to stay in town.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The rates for the trips are surprisingly reasonable I would have expect higher prices.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Regarding a GB Acropolis View Room

I have stayed at the GB maybe a dozen times in my 63 years of life. The best room we ever had was given to me after an hellacious rental car drive into Athens in 2005. I looked so frazzled at check-in that the front desk took pity on me and upgraded my husband and me to a room on the 6th floor overlooking Syntagma Square and the Acropolis. We had a great terrace where we had breakfast every morning and cocktails every evening. Bliss.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:00 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

That view is amazing david55
Old May 27, 2019, 10:18 am

Just came back from 2 weeks in Greece, summer is still around the corner but most places are already very crowded with tourists. I'd go back in the 'shoulder seasons' of early Spring or Fall, as advised by many locals. Temperatures and prices lower.
I went to the exclusive and expensive Hotel Grand Bretagne, on Syntagma Square, and found its all-out luxury decoration too much, too old. Then there are the frequent demonstrations on the square, and they can be noisy.
Our hotel, quite comfortable but much less fussy or pricey, Hermes Hotel, was few blocks away from GB, on a quiet street close to shopping and convenient to the pretty Plaka area, where we dined every night. Also, the girls at the front desk were very helpful and friendly.
I'll definitely stay there next time in Athens.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by BeasBest
Just came back from 2 weeks in Greece, summer is still around the corner but most places are already very crowded with tourists. I'd go back in the 'shoulder seasons' of early Spring or Fall, as advised by many locals. Temperatures and prices lower.
I went to the exclusive and expensive Hotel Grand Bretagne, on Syntagma Square, and found its all-out luxury decoration too much, too old. Then there are the frequent demonstrations on the square, and they can be noisy.
Our hotel, quite comfortable but much less fussy or pricey, Hermes Hotel, was few blocks away from GB, on a quiet street close to shopping and convenient to the pretty Plaka area, where we dined every night. Also, the girls at the front desk were very helpful and friendly.
I'll definitely stay there next time in Athens.
Yes but how is this a luxury hotel?
Old May 28, 2019, 8:07 am

You're right, Hermes Hotel is not a luxury hotel, not in the conventional way.
But luxury means different things to different people. My idea of luxury is location, service, comfort, cleanliness and a friendly staff willing to help. As I don't use spas or swimming pools in the hotels I stay - and am not crazy about Versailles-like decoration - those perks would be lost on me.
Good luck with finding the hotel you'll love!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.