Programs: Avios
Il San Pietro Positano

IL SAN PIETRO DI POSITANO

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Via Laurito 2 Positano, Italy IT I-84017

Il San Pietro Positano (31 Photos)

Il San Pietro di Positano is a beautiful cliff side hotel in Positano on the Amalfi Coast. My husband and I visited in May for our wedding anniversary. 

It was a dream of mine to visit the Amalfi Coast and I'm not quite sure why it took so long for us to finally go! We absolutely love Italy and visit at least once a year but this was our first time in the Amalfi Coast. 

I stayed at ISP partly due to the glowing reviews on here. We also stayed at Le Sirenuse on this trip as it was a bucketlist hotel for me. 

Check In

We stayed the night before in Naples due to flight times. A driver from ISP picked us up for Hotel Romeo in the city and drove us approximately an hour and a half to the hotel. You arrive at what appears to be cliff face and then you are taken down to the beautiful lobby by elevator. 

We were slightly surprised that check in involved filling a form rather than in room check in or a simple handing over of our passports. But it was done very quickly and easily. 

Our room wasn't ready - which we had expected as we chose to arrive in time for lunch rather than for the 3pm check in time. 

We were offered a welcome drink on the terrace, which is quite honestly the most beautiful terrace I've ever seen with views of Positano in the distance. 

Il San Pietro Positano (21 of 85).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (18 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (19 of 69).jpg

Il San Pietro Positano (13 of 79).jpg

It beautiful to take a walk through the hotel and it's about a ten walk down the cliff to the beach. There are elevators running throughout the hotel but some people with mobility problems may still have issues. 

Room

We had an Elite level room. Personally I don't think the size of the rooms here are congruous with the amount that you're paying but they are beautifully appointed and every room has a sea view and balcony. I just think that you don't get the value for money on the Amalfi Coast, we thought the same at Le Sirenuse. Il San Pietro Positano 2 (34 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (35 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (36 of 69).jpg

Il San Pietro Positano (5 of 85).jpg

Service

The service was exactly the way I like it, warm, not overly formal but with just the right amount of formality. The hotel is family run and many of the staff have been there for years. They really go the extra mile, for example getting me sea sickness tablets for our boat trip. 

Concierge were quick with their responses pretrip and the staff at the hotel were utterly wonderful, giving a feeling of home. 

The boat trip that the hotel arranged for us was brilliant and they gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. 

Dining

The hotel has two restaurants, Michelin-star Zass is the main restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the food is excellent. Ingredients are locally sourced, some even grown in the hotel's own garden. The food is simple Italian food beauitfully cooked and presented. 

Il San Pietro Positano (7 of 79).jpgIl San Pietro Positano (10 of 79).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (21 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (22 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (23 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (24 of 69).jpg

In the evening Zass is incredibly romantic, you are serenaded by an opera singer and the lights, view and atmosphere is just incredible. A minor gripe would be that the menu is pretty much the same at lunch and dinner. 

The other restaurant is Carlino, it's a more casual beach restaurant and available for guests only. It has a beautiful location right above the beach and the food is excellent with more simple options like salad, sandwiches and pasta. 

Il San Pietro Positano (45 of 79).jpgIl San Pietro Positano (58 of 79).jpgIl San Pietro Positano (60 of 79).jpg

ISP is around an hours drive from Naples where we flew in to. It's not right in the centre of Positano like Le Sirenuse but they do offer a shuttle. 

What struck me the most about Il San Pietro was the utter privacy. There wasn't a lobby full of other guests, there was a private restaurant and a private beach. Le Sirenuse felt busy by comparison. I liked the fact that it wasn't right in town but other restaurants were in easy reach. 

Il San Pietro Positano (50 of 79).jpg

Pool

The pool was beautiful, never too busy and quick efficient service for drinks. 

Il San Pietro Positano (9 of 85).jpgIl San Pietro Positano (22 of 85).jpgIl San Pietro Positano (69 of 79).jpg

Gym

Quite possibly the prettiest gym I ever saw! Surround by lemon groves and a view of the sea. 

Il San Pietro Positano (17 of 85).jpg

Spa

The spa doesn't seem to be such a huge deal here, it was very small and we didn't actually use it.

Beach

There is a small stretch of beach and perhaps the chairs on concrete aren't to everyone's taste but the best thing about it, is that it's a private beach not immensely crowded and touristy like Positano. 

Il San Pietro Positano 2 (43 of 69).jpgIl San Pietro Positano 2 (44 of 69).jpg

Il San Pietro Positano 2 (47 of 69).jpg

Overall

Quite possibly the most beautiful hotel I've ever seen, it feels organically carved into the clifftop and it's covered in flowers. The reviews are right, this is one of the world's best hotels. 

Il San Pietro Positano (19 of 85).jpg

1_Il San Pietro Positano 2 (18 of 69).jp

Amenities

The hotel has it's own boat which runs 2 hour complimentary trips. Annoyingly the website says the boat starts running in June - we were there in May and discovered the boat was running during our stay but we had already booked a private boat trip. It turned out that our boat trip was fabulous and we had a how day trip to Capri rather than a short outing. We chose the Joey II as our boat - highly recommended. 

Amalfi Coast Boat Trip  (6 of 69).jpgAmalfi Coast Boat Trip  (7 of 69).jpgAmalfi Coast Boat Trip  (13 of 69).jpgAmalfi Coast Boat Trip  (21 of 69).jpg

Il San Pietro Positano

Would you like to write a review on the IL SAN PIETRO DI POSITANO?

No, thank you.
Yes
FlyerEC, ray1022 and offerendum like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Great review. Love ISP as well. Definitely agree the terrace is the best view there is
SilverSpoon likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:48 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Great review and stunning photographs. Thanks
SilverSpoon likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Fantastic review! Thanks so much. We also love Italy and have been many times and have yet to visit the Amalfi coast.

I'll be very curious to hear your overall assessment and preference between ISP and LS--including on accommodation and food/beverage. My impression thus far is that you preferred the less hectic/touristy/crowded feel of ISP over LS.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:51 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

We loved both Le Sirenuse and ISP, but ISP was by far the preference. I will post a full review of Le Sirenuse in due course.

We chose two hotels in Positano because Le Sirenuse was a bucket list hotel for me and I wanted to get the experience of being in town as well as the more relaxing, private style offered my ISP. We chose to spend the majority of our stay in ISP and I'm glad we did for the following reasons:

1. Arrival - the lobby in ISP was calm and serene with only a very few other guests. We were immediately taken outside for a complimentary cocktail as our room wasn't ready and then went for lunch at Zass.

By contrast Le Sirenuse had a lobby full of people when we arrived and we had to wait to be seen. Again the room wasn't ready (but again this was expected) but we weren't given a welcome drink, not even water. We headed to the the hotel restaurant as planned but the waiter said rather pointedly we couldn't sit on the pool terrace as that was just for guests and the restaurant was full. When we said we were guests but just didn't have our room yet, he was all smiles and gave us a fantastic seat.

2. Privacy - The terrace at ISP is beautifully private and a relaxing place to drink in the evening. Zass welcomes outside guests but Carlino is guests only. No where ever felt overly busy or crowded. The pool is totally separate from the restaurant and has it's own bar so there are no outside guests. There is a private beach.

At Le Sirenuse the restaurant welcomes outside guests and it is located right by the pool. Even though the pool is guests only, it still felt busy because of the proximity to the restaurant. There is no private beach, it's about two minutes walk from Positano beach which is crowded and touristy. The bar at Le Sirenuse is much more busy and buzzy which we do enjoy but is a matter of taste as to whether you want this. Perhaps more a bar to visit than one in the hotel you're staying in.

3. Value for money. Neither hotel is good value for money but ISP is margainly better as the rooms are bigger and less expensive. I would say LS had more well appointed rooms but they were small and felt poorly planned. Not every room has a sea view. The bathroom was tiny not even a separate shower. By room square footage LS is the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in. Velaa gets the prize for overall most expensive but we had a huge over water villa with private pool rather than slightly pokey room and small terrace. We've stayed in more expensive hotels such as Singita, Mnemba etc but these were all inclusive, LS includes no extras.

Food-wise the hotels were equal in quality. We tried both restaurants at the ISP and they were fantastic. We didn't eat in the champagne bar at Le Sirenuse but La Sponda was fantastic. Both La Sponda and Zass have a Michelin star. We missed out on Francos as I assumed it was the other bar in the hotel, no one told us it was located separately! As you can imagine this annoyed me considering how much we'd spent on the room.

One advantage of LS was the view, one of the most spectacular I've ever seen! Apart from the minor niggles mentioned service was fairly equal at the hotels, very warm and helpful. Many staff members have been there half their lives!

I realise this seems like a bit of a bashing of Le Sirenuse. We genuinely loved both but we stayed at LS second and it was a little disappointing after ISP. If doing both definitely stay at LS first and leave the best for last. If you don't have time to do both stay at ISP and have dinner at LS, they are around 15 minutes drive apart.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
We loved both Le Sirenuse and ISP, but ISP was by far the preference. I will post a full review of Le Sirenuse in due course.

We chose two hotels in Positano because Le Sirenuse was a bucket list hotel for me and I wanted to get the experience of being in town as well as the more relaxing, private style offered my ISP. We chose to spend the majority of our stay in ISP and I'm glad we did for the following reasons:

1. Arrival - the lobby in ISP was calm and serene with only a very few other guests. We were immediately taken outside for a complimentary cocktail as our room wasn't ready and then went for lunch at Zass.

By contrast Le Sirenuse had a lobby full of people when we arrived and we had to wait to be seen. Again the room wasn't ready (but again this was expected) but we weren't given a welcome drink, not even water. We headed to the the hotel restaurant as planned but the waiter said rather pointedly we couldn't sit on the pool terrace as that was just for guests and the restaurant was full. When we said we were guests but just didn't have our room yet, he was all smiles and gave us a fantastic seat.

2. Privacy - The terrace at ISP is beautifully private and a relaxing place to drink in the evening. Zass welcomes outside guests but Carlino is guests only. No where ever felt overly busy or crowded. The pool is totally separate from the restaurant and has it's own bar so there are no outside guests. There is a private beach.

At Le Sirenuse the restaurant welcomes outside guests and it is located right by the pool. Even though the pool is guests only, it still felt busy because of the proximity to the restaurant. There is no private beach, it's about two minutes walk from Positano beach which is crowded and touristy. The bar at Le Sirenuse is much more busy and buzzy which we do enjoy but is a matter of taste as to whether you want this. Perhaps more a bar to visit than one in the hotel you're staying in.

3. Value for money. Neither hotel is good value for money but ISP is margainly better as the rooms are bigger and less expensive. I would say LS had more well appointed rooms but they were small and felt poorly planned. Not every room has a sea view. The bathroom was tiny not even a separate shower. By room square footage LS is the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in. Velaa gets the prize for overall most expensive but we had a huge over water villa with private pool rather than slightly pokey room and small terrace. We've stayed in more expensive hotels such as Singita, Mnemba etc but these were all inclusive, LS includes no extras.

Food-wise the hotels were equal in quality. We tried both restaurants at the ISP and they were fantastic. We didn't eat in the champagne bar at Le Sirenuse but La Sponda was fantastic. Both La Sponda and Zass have a Michelin star. We missed out on Francos as I assumed it was the other bar in the hotel, no one told us it was located separately! As you can imagine this annoyed me considering how much we'd spent on the room.

One advantage of LS was the view, one of the most spectacular I've ever seen! Apart from the minor niggles mentioned service was fairly equal at the hotels, very warm and helpful. Many staff members have been there half their lives!

I realise this seems like a bit of a bashing of Le Sirenuse. We genuinely loved both but we stayed at LS second and it was a little disappointing after ISP. If doing both definitely stay at LS first and leave the best for last. If you don't have time to do both stay at ISP and have dinner at LS, they are around 15 minutes drive apart.
Great reviews thank you. I'm heading to the Amalfi Coast for 10 days on Saturday. We want to visit Positano by boat - do you think lunch at ISP or LS would be nicer (I'm aware that outside guests can't dine at the ISP beach restaurant).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:51 pm
BLV

When in May were you there? I go every August but this year did a short stay at the end of May. It was very different from end of summer (weather, atmosphere, people) but I loved it nevertheless.

Last edited by BLV; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Both are beautiful with great food and service. If you want somewhere busy and buzzy with a great view of Positano go for LS. If you want more relaxed and chilled out go for ISP.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

We were there 25th - 28th of May. I'd love to return and see it in Summer.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:01 pm
BLV

Ha! Same dates here
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Ooh we must have bumped into each other somewhere!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:45 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thank you SilverSpoon for this review of one of the most glorious places of Italy! It makes we want to return to Amalfi immediately (or, at least after peak season).

I hope you don't mind me asking, but were you regular paying guests or hosted/comped?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

It's incredible and definitely one of my favourite hotels ever.

We were regular paying guests and staying there for our wedding anniversary.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:35 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
It's incredible and definitely one of my favourite hotels ever.

We were regular paying guests and staying there for our wedding anniversary.
This is good to hear, makes the great service all the more impressive!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:18 pm

Last summer my wife and I were on the Seabourn Encore and it stopped in Amalfi. Along with another couple, we took the ferry to Positano, almost starting a riot. I didn't try to cut the long line, I was just following the directions of the worker

Once we arrived in Positano, we walked around a little and then took a water taxi directly to the hotel. The guy was great and knew to take pictures of us with Positano in the background. Just fabulous!

At the hotel, we asked to see a few rooms and they were very accommodating. We even got to meet the chef, as we have a friend in common. The chef gave us a tour of the newly renovated kitchen and it was great. All of the equipment was one of a kind or custom made.

There were other people at the hotel on a ship excursion. I believe they had a fixed menu, but we were able to eat off of the menu.

The grounds and lobby and balconies are just amazing.

SilversSpoon might also want to check out the Hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi. That too was wonderful.

I'm not sure that any of the hotels on the Amalfi Coast offer luxury and value

Thanks for reminding me of our wonderful lunch!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.