Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Beach vacation over Christmas / New Years?

Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

DC based and love Hawaii but think we may have done it all there. Would you mind helping me out and recommendation a good fit for this upcoming Christmas / New Years? Kids are 10 and 7 and my wife and love Hawaii despite being East Coast US based. We did Hualalai for many years and found it is extraordinarily expensive for what you get and know it gets mixed reviews here, but we liked it . Tried the Fairmont in Wailea last year and were disappointed. It is not imho close to a Four seasons. The Wailea Four Seasons in Maui is meh over that period of time as I think it is overrun and not relaxing and the Andaz was fine and we checked out their rooms and they were tiny and fine. Concerned about the rain and clouds in Kapalua. Every time over that period of the year I have been there it has been raining. Not sure if anything is actually luxury in Kaanapali (and have stayed at the Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt and Hyatt residences there). The new Timbers on Kauai is in a ok place but not sure I want to gamble that it is up and running properly by then. Kukui’ula is promising but we can not get in there then and not on the ocean. Have stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai and not really luxury imho. And it just rains too much up in Princeville IMHO. On the Big Island, I have had meh reviews from friends and otherwise of the Fairmont, Mauna Lani is closed for a year or so. Not sure the refresh of the Hapuna will be luxury and the never a huge fan of Mauna Kea with a huge premium for ocean facing rooms and the tiny tiny pool. The residences up there are interesting but you really have to drive to the resorts every day which seems a bit much. Do not want to do a full ten days on Lanai right now. So at least Hualalai luxury in Hawaii or Mexico (Punta Mita or Mayakoba maybe) or the Caribbean. I think SE Asia is probably pushing right now. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My recommendation is to stop looking in Hawaii—where so many American thinking like you crowd even the supposedly “best” luxury hotels and resorts that they don’t deliver the cost/benefit as do luxury hotels in so many other destinations. Few in this Forum believe that FS in Hawaii deliver as well as FS in most other locations. You more or less have said so yourself even above. Trust me when we tell you that Hawaii is at its worst during the holidays.

Try Mexico: StR or FS Punta Mita. Or Puerto Rico once the StR Bahia Beach or RC Reserve Dorado reopens in the fall. Or Mukul in Nicaragua. Or FS Costa Rica perhaps.

You may find this thread instructive:

Maui Four Seasons Honeymoon - Best way to book?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Member

I, too, am so done with Hawaii. Luxury there is compromised from the get-go even with paying those absurd prices.

We love Mexico. Mayakoba gets positive reviews here; we have not yet been. Recommend Esperanza in Cabo, most especially for families. We adore Las Ventanas al Paraiso but it isn't really a family resort. Belmond Maroma (just south of Cancun) has a fabulous beach and good service but some of the rooms are awkward. Great for kids with iguanas, parrots, gato solos, etc.

Given your D.C. location you may want to look into the several upscale resorts on Harbour Island in the Bahamas.

Last edited by KatW; Jun 21, 2018 at 3:11 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:56 am

Since you seem to favour large chain resorts, take a look at the Four Seasons Anguilla. The architecture will be familiar and the beaches there are totally world class. There was significant hurricane damage last year but I think it's fully up and running now.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jun 21, 2018 at 4:34 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS holiday rates get crazy, although all have been raising some
st regis holiday rates have run $4,000+ which make FS cheap

jamaica is one of the few in area without same holiday premium
without going farther, only option may be avoiding bigger chains

even some asia/etc have added holiday rates, though better value
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think it's fully up and running now.
closed sep 6 - mar 23 = 6.5 months, and only that long because >
logistics of delivering to the island the volume of necessary materials and systems required to complete our repairs have been challenging, we have worked tirelessly and leveraged Starwood Capital Group’s strategic relationships around the world
robbreport.com/travel/destinations/how-luxury-hotels-rebuilding-caribbean-2834345/
Four Seasons in Anguilla paid roughly $20 million for its damages
edit >
i have seen since 2013, both in advance and at last minute, $4,000 and $5,000 in online reservations for entry level room at st regis in north america, possibly due to how SPG works

outside of maldives where entry rate can be very high, i have not seen similar holiday rates at any other hotel (only event rates, which often include nonluxury chain hotels)

looking right now, seems marriott has changed (dropped) some
FS also up more, not seeing entry available at either right now

increases make aman caribbean less crazy, especially amanera

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 30, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
st regis holiday rates have run $4,000+ which make FS cheap
That's quite a prejudicial statement about StR vs FS. I do believe that the FS holiday rates can be as high or usually even higher than those at most StR. Heck, in many to most markets, FS rates are usually higher than those at StR regardless of occupancy.

I could be wrong, but I think you might be referencing an outrageous Dec 2016 post from TPG on the StR Punta Mita (https://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/st-...-hotel-review/). You'll notice my comments in that post taking the author and most of the commenters to task.

(That particular StR Punta Mita property is one that can have (but usually doesn't have) slightly higher rates than the FS since it's better than the FS according to many--including me.)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
We did a residence at Mauna Kea earlier this year. Really nice. 10 minute walk to either resort/beach (and some residences are even closer.) IMHO much nicer than Hualalai in every respect and a lot cheaper. One of the few beach resorts in North America that I have ever really enjoyed.

You could also look at Mustique but the kids might get bored.

From D.C., Emirates to MLE, HKT, or DPS is a super easy trip, and if you haven't done SE Asia, it's definitely worth considering. Aman makes FS seem like a dump, and seeing a foreign country would be fun for the kids.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Much appreciated all. Let me take some time at look at the recs.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
jamaica is one of the few in area without same holiday premium
without going farther, only option may be avoiding bigger chains
I don't believe that this is true. Jamaica increases significantly.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS & st regis extremely high (amanera can be same/less)
caribbean very high, last i looked jamaica was not as high
by "same premium" i meant as in price, if not price jump
not sure but FS may not be 'as bad' in hawaii / lanai
but then lower level room categories may sell out earlier

st regis was event-like premium for 'rooms' vs low season
SPG would pay hotel almost full ADR when almost sold out

if not the best, mauna kea beach is one of best beaches in hawaii
several here were mauna kea regulars, over FS, because of it

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:05 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

IMHO, Mauna Kea is the best beach in Hawaii.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:28 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Share the same feelings as others here that Hawaii just doesn't do it for me...Inspected all Four Seasons properties in Hawaii in October and only walked away liking/loving FS Lanai! FS Maui was terrible!

I'd also suggest Rosewood Mayakoba, Amanera to be great options to consider being on the east coast. You must remember that Amanera's entry Casita is basically a suite at other resorts, so when comparing prices, that variable should be taken into account. I had trouble booking clients for Christmas last year during August as they only have about 25 Casitas and it fills up quickly during Christmas so if it appeals to you, I wouldn't wait too long.

Many people love Amanyara but I personally prefer Amanera's hard product and service over Amanyara's. You can't really compare Amanera and Amanyara's beaches...completely different. Amanyara is calm and turquoise. Amanera's beach is much more active, in terms of waves and wind. Amanera's beach club is much better than Amanyara's, IMHO and it's a really enjoyable location for evening dinners with family. I found the food to be better at Amanera as well. I have had clients praise and complain about Amanyara, but 100% positive (overall) feedback on Amanera.

Another option for you to consider might be renting a villa in Turks and Caicos. Just visited Beach Enclave's new villas (set to complete/open in Nov). I spoke with their management about an opening promotion and they were 100% open to it. Below is a review of my visit from early June.
Beach Enclave- Private Villas in Turks and Caicos

Cheers!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

by price >
- amanera / BT mayakoba / st regis punta mita
- rosewood mayakoba / esperanza / (las ventanas?) / beach village at the del
- maroma / (las alamandas?)

yara was doing well in 2013, nera doing well recently

does FS have public page like this for 2018?
fourseasons.com/landing_pages/corporate/2017-festive-season/

nobu ryokan says "begin at $2,000 per night during preferred travel periods"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 27, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Member

Beach Village at Hotel del Coronado, San Diego
https://beachvillageatthedel.com/?WT...6SANCNQQ7EN8i1
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Argh. Last year we did the Baha Mar and burned Hyatt points. IT's fine but it is MEGA BIG and with the waterpark yet to be completed it was very very crowded. Still looking for this upcoming Christmas - New Years.

Smaller more low key luxury vibe toping out at say $2k a night and able to get four us in a suite? Caribbean? So many great places are already sold out or $2k a night and on up.

Love to have thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.