FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Seychelles Question - FS Desroches or Six Senses Zil Payson? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1914734-seychelles-question-fs-desroches-six-senses-zil-payson.html)

saucesee Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

Seychelles Question - FS Desroches or Six Senses Zil Payson?

first time visit to Seychelles, torn between Six Senses (which seems to have an amazing publicity/marketing operation, btw) or the Four Seasons Desroches (which seems almost brand new). looking for signals one way or another...

livefromtuscany Jun 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee (Post 29873402)
first time visit to Seychelles, torn between Six Senses (which seems to have an amazing publicity/marketing operation, btw) or the Four Seasons Desroches (which seems almost brand new). looking for signals one way or another...

I still happily boycott anything Six Senses following the rape incident/cover-up thereof by Six Senses Management. So Four Seasons would get my budget on this one. Six Senses does have an amazing marketing operation I admit, but they have burnt the bridge...

Aventine Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Four Seasons because they haven't denied/covered up/buried a guest's horrific rape experience and tried to shame her like Zil Pasyon did.

offerendum Jun 17, 2018 4:21 am

You see, no Six Senses fans here.

xracer Jun 17, 2018 7:10 am

I would happily go to a Six Senses. But probably not the one in the Seychelles. However, my reasons are not those of the posters above. Rather, they have to do with the resort itself. SS is on a private island, but my understanding is that the island gets a lot of boat traffic from non-resort residents, thus impacting privacy. Plus, Seychelles is all about the beaches, and the beaches at this resort seem small and underwhelming to me. The villas looks nice though.

FS Desroches is not a new resort. Rather it is an existing resort that FS renovated. Considered a trip there this previous May, but could not get over how old the 'new' villas looked. Plus, I have heard conflicting reports on the quality of the beaches on the island.

If I were to pick between the two, I'd probably go to the FS. Or I'd just go back to the FS on Mahe, which has lovely villas and a wonderful beach.

Kagehitokiri Jun 17, 2018 9:15 am

new FS site terrible for detail, no more compare rooms page ?

coral beach villa on south side are (only?) newly built rooms
some of others may not have been renovated much if at all

original >
17-20 1BR (2 per building)
6 3BR paired with 12 1BR with pool
1 3BR spa
1 5BR beach residence / presidential
28+ 4BR beach villa (24+ were sold)

crowds at six senses are real buzz kill
when done, residences may be unique

FS seychelles was well regarded here

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 29159638)
June - July:
Amanjena
Mandarin Oriental Marrakech
Four Seasons Seychelles (Desroches Island)

2 days ago at amanjena

saucesee Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

OP here, Thanks all. The rape issue would seem to explain so much, and perhaps why Six Senses has invested in extra marketing. The seeming ease of others to approach the island also is a signal away.

So Four Seasons Desroches it is. I hadn't realized that only the coral beach villas were brand new, so will be focused on that.

Aventine Jun 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee (Post 29876404)
OP here, Thanks all. The rape issue would seem to explain so much, and perhaps why Six Senses has invested in extra marketing. The seeming ease of others to approach the island also is a signal away.

So Four Seasons Desroches it is. I hadn't realized that only the coral beach villas were brand new, so will be focused on that.

Hope you enjoy OP! I would need private guests access only too. You're traveling so far and shouldn't have to contend with interlopers.

instyleprincess Jun 20, 2018 12:13 am

No Six Sense for me cuz of the rape issue as well.

I've stayed at Desroches before it became a FS and I really enjoyed the place. Room a bit outdated though, but I enjoyed the beach, service was very personalized and plenty of activities to do.

offerendum Jun 20, 2018 7:50 am

Didnīt see anything at the website but wonder why the 2 FS donīt offer combined packages.

saucesee Aug 9, 2018 7:49 am

OP here. just returned from a week a FS Desroches, stayed at the beach 'bungalows' and absolutely loved it. Rooms were fresh and felt new (the pics of the sunset beach villa, oddly two categories higher, looked much more dated). had the beach to ourselves (rarely saw anyone else). highly recommended.

Aventine Aug 9, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by saucesee (Post 30064338)
OP here. just returned from a week a FS Desroches, stayed at the beach 'bungalows' and absolutely loved it. Rooms were fresh and felt new (the pics of the sunset beach villa, oddly two categories higher, looked much more dated). had the beach to ourselves (rarely saw anyone else). highly recommended.

Thanks for the report OP! Great to know people can just say no to Six Senses Zil Pasyon and have a great luxury experience in the Seychelles.

Green_eyes Sep 3, 2018 7:47 pm

The rape incident was horrific. I read it not only in English sources but in Russian as well. The poor woman is still travelling to Seychelles to attend court days and has t relive her experiences over and over.

HumbleBee Aug 18, 2019 5:04 am

Is there a master thread covering all Seychelles resorts? Big FS fan, having stayed at 18 properties, but having a hard time deciding between Desroches & the old resort. I guess the difference is Desroches is newer rooms closer to the beach and FS Resort has far larger villas?

MorganDK Aug 23, 2019 1:42 am

Going to the Seychelles after reading those articles is a hard NO THANKS from me.