Programs: Avios
Awasi Patagonia, Chile

Awasi Patagonia

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Awasi Patagonia

TERCERA BARRANCA Torres Del Paine, CHILE CL

Awasi Patagonia, Chile (33 Photos)

Awasi Patagonia

Following on from my review of Awasi Atacama, here is my review of the Patagonia property. 

Awasi Patagonia is a remote lodge near Torres del Paine national park. It is made up of 14 individual villas each with a private hot tub. There's is one main lodge with a restaurant. There is no pool or spa facilities. Rates are on an all inclusive basis. 

If you're planning on travel to the Atacama Desert and Patagonia it's advisable to stick with one hotel brand. The other two luxury brands are Explora and Tierra and if you book two or more properties from the same brand you get a discount plus two complimentary nights in a connecting city (eg Buenos Aires and Santiago). Awasi has a third property in Iguazu and if you book all three properties you get a further discount and another complimentary night. 

I chose Awasi over the other brands because I liked the look of the individual villas and the fact that each couple or group is allocated a four-by- four and personal guide. Awasi create a bespoke itinerary for their guests whereas other properties have shared excursions.  

I recieved a 25% press discount for my stay here. 

Room

My husband and I like the privacy and space of individual villas which was a key reason for selecting this hotel. The villas are spaced far apart and all a distance from the main lodge there very private.

The villas were beautiful, wooden clad and absolutely pristine. Each has a fire place and stunning views across the lake. There is a fridge stocked with drinks and snacks theres local books, no TV and no Wifi. There is Wifi in the main lodge. At dinner the staff ask if you'd like the fire on so you can return to the room and enjoy the fireplace and there's a local gift at turn down.Awasi Patagonia  (30 of 42).jpg

Awasi Patagonia  (16 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (17 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (23 of 27).jpg

There's an entrance porch with a heater for dirty boots and wet jackets. 

The bathroom is also beautiful. Wooden bath with bath salts, huge shower, double sink. Like with Atacama they're a little mean about replacing the bathroom amentities which are L'Occitane. 

Awasi-Patagonia-1-of-1-6.jpg

And the hot tub...

Awasi Patagonia  (31 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (32 of 42).jpg

This was my major disappointment perhaps of the whole trip (first world problems). I had a vision of sitting in that gorgeous hot tub with my glass of wine looking at the view...but due to poor weather conditions we couldn't use the hot tub once during our four night stay. I think that this should have been emphasised during the booking process. Apparently it cannot be used in damp conditions which honestly seems silly to me in a place where the weather is so tempramental but there we go...

Check In

I'll preface this by saying we had quite a nightmare of a journey getting there. I won't go into huge detail but strikes by the airline staff caused mix ups with the flights, we couldn't get our orginal flight and thought we might not get there at all. We did manage to get there in the end with a six hour delay and thirteen hour journey on about four hours sleep the night before. 

Without these problems the journey there is still a long one. It's a three hour flight to Punta Arenas from Santiago where a driver picks you up for a three hour drive to Punta Natales. We than met a new driver (who was to be our guide during the stay) for a further two hour drive to the hotel. In some months there are direct flights to Punta Natales. The transfer from Punta Natales is included in the cost of the hotel but the transfer from Punta Arenas to Punta Natales is extra. You can also go fly to Calafate from Buenos Aires and get there that way. 

This pick up, five hour drive and transfer ran incredibly smoothly despite our delays. I was emailling the Awasi head office from my phone whilst waiting for the plane to take off and they sorted our transfers with no headaches at all. 

We had intended to arrive in time for dinner but of course we got there more like 10.30 at night and we VERY glad to see our beds! The driver had bought us snacks for the drive but the team at Awasi had arranged soup, salad and bread in the room when we arrived which was again very well recieved. 

Feeling that exhausted there was absolutlely no expectation for a check in and the next day at breakfast still no formal check in, we just handed our passports in at breakfast. 

Service

As with Atacama, I feel that Awasi Patagonia really is all about the wonderful service. 

Of course we had our individual guide, Daniel who was with us for the duration of our stay and drove us in a four-by-four whilst giving us the benefit of his vast knowledge of the area.

As mentioned the itinerary is totally bespoke and we sat down with Daniel on our second day and talked through what we'd like to see and do during our time there. Yes, it is a place for people who are into hiking and that's not us... we wanted to see wildlife and beautiful scenery and they were able to accommodate that too. 

Staff in the main lodge and at the restaurant were also excellent. The service is warm and friendly and they remembered all our preferences at meal times. The service at Atacama was slightly warmer I will say. 

Dining

A Relais and Chateaux property, and cuisine is at the forefront. There is a set menu at lunch with a few changing specials. You can have simple pastas, salad and sandwiches or go more elaborate. 

Awasi Patagonia  (3 of 29).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (4 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (4 of 29).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (5 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (5 of 29).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (6 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (7 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (8 of 27).jpg

Dinner is more elaborate and there was a choice of three different starters, main courses or desserts. Breakfast was a beautiful buffet as well as food made to order. 

Awasi Patagonia  (6 of 29).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (8 of 24).jpg

The Sommelier offers a wide selection of local wines and has a vast knowledge of his offerings. The dining room is beautiful and you can sit by the window with a view or by the fire. 

Food is very important to us, we are foodies and honestly bad food can make or break a place for us. The food here was excellent and despite the remote location, as good as any Michelin star city restaurant. 

Like Awasi Atacama, location (for some) is the downfall of this property. It does take eight hours to get there but I appreciate that it takes a long time to get to the end of the world! 

The lodge itself is around 40 minutes drive from Torres del Paine National Park compared to Tierra which is 20 minutes away and Explora which is actually in the park. 

However the hotel is high on a hill, the grounds are still beautiful and have stunning views. 

Awasi Patagonia  (3 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (5 of 24).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (20 of 24).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (27 of 29).jpg

Amenities

As mentioned there is no spa or pool but each villa has a hot tub and spa treatments can be arranged in the room. 

The Main lodge is beautiful with stunning views. 

Awasi Patagonia  (3 of 24).jpg

You are asked to remove dirty boots before entering and you are supplied with slippers, this gives it cosy feeling like being at home. 

Awasi Patagonia  (10 of 24).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (18 of 29).jpg

As we as the restaurant there's a seating area which is all cosy sofas, rugs and fire places. 

The main element of staying here is the excursions. You are offered half days and full days with the options of hiking, driving, cycling and horse riding. On a full day you are given a packed lunch on a half day you are taken back to the lodge for lunch. We were quite unlucky with the weather and pretty much experienced all four seasons. We went to sleep one night and awoke to a blanket of snow. I actually thought my eyes were decieving me. Snow and pouring rain meant we were very limited as to what we could do but good old Daniel made the absolute best of the situation. 

Our first morning we opted to relax after our hellish journey and have a long lunch and wine. The afternoon the weather was terrible so Daniel took us on a tour of the hotel grounds. 

On our second day he drove us into the park and we took a boat trip to see the glaciers. I really enjoyed this as I've never seen glaciers before but I will say it's on a public boat and full of other tourists plus you need to pay extra as it's not a tour run by Awasi. We had a packed lunch from the hotel and a pisco sour was included. After we were taken on a drive around Torres del Paine. Fortunately the weather did clear and we were able to get some photos. 

On our third day we went horse riding in the snow (amazing) and in the afternoon had a cheese and wine picnic. Maybe our activities will seem tame to the more adventurous but we just wanted to enjoy the scenery and the peace of the place. 

Annoyingly as we were leaving the weather cleared up! I was told that Autumn was a good time to go, but I would definitely advise people to go earlier in the year. 

Awasi Patagonia  (8 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (9 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (9 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (10 of 27).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (16 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (17 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (18 of 42).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (22 of 24).jpgAwasi Patagonia  (26 of 29).jpg

Overall

Despite the weather and hot tub disappointment we really enjoyed our time at this hotel due to the beautiful room, grounds and food. I will note that I selected this hotel first and then the Atacama one as part of the deal but we actually ended up preferring Atacama. Both are beautiful properties and I would recommend and return (if they weren't so far away from my London home!) 

Awasi Patagonia, Chile

Would you like to write a review on the Awasi Patagonia?

No, thank you.
Yes
SanDiego1K and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you! I must say I like this one more than the Atacama property.But also not my dream-property
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:25 am

It certainly doesn't seem to have the drop-dead-gorgeous views of the Explora.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thank you! I must say I like this one more than the Atacama property.But also not my dream-property
I definitely don't think that wilderness lodges are for everyone.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
It certainly doesn't seem to have the drop-dead-gorgeous views of the Explora.
It's not right in the middle of Torres del Paine like Explora. We opted for the private villa and private guide over location but I definitely think you have to weigh up what's more important to you.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
I definitely don't think that wilderness lodges are for everyone.
Thats true, even if I like some and some not so much
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Thanks for the review! My dream Patagonia trip would be a combination of both Awasi & Explora

What month were you there? Sorry to hear about the unpleasant weather condition
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Thanks for the review! My dream Patagonia trip would be a combination of both Awasi & Explora

What month were you there? Sorry to hear about the unpleasant weather condition
That would be amazing!! We were there in April which is the end of the season.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:31 pm

We were just at Explora for 6 nights (prior to going to Amanera). We’ve been to them all, for whatever that is worth.

I don’t wish to hijack the thread, only mentioning it here should anyone have any questions.

I will note: the hard product at Awasi is better, hands down, based on pictures.
I will also note, based on the description, that the location of Explora is better, hands down.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another great report !

did they offer private glacier boat at higher price?

private excursions are / can be massive value add
aa213bb, did you do atacama before awasi opened?

awasi also offers free nights at awasi >
Promotional price: Book a minimum of 3 nights in Awasi Atacama and we will give you one additional night free of charge...May until September 30th, 2018.
Regular price 4-night program: USD 3.500 per person.
Promotional price 4-night program: USD 2.700 per person.

3 nights in Awasi Patagonia and we will give you one additional night free of charge.
Based only on double occupancy & for stays in April & October
Regular price 4-night program: USD 4.500 per person..
Promotional price 4-night program: USD 3.600 per person.

Awasi Iguazu. Book a minimum of 2 nights and we will give you one night free.
Valid for stays from April to October, 2018.
Special Offer for a 3-Night Program: USD 2.100 + VAT per person.
(normal value for 3-Night Program: USD 2.990 + VAT per person)
presumably on top of other discounts and free nights in cities
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:46 am
Original Poster

They didn't offer the private glacier boat and we didn't ask about one. The boat is arranged through another hotel, Hotel Lago Grey.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Has anyone been to both Tierra and Awasi. Currently deciding between those two..
so looks like Tierra has better spa + location + design, while awasi has better room + private guide/car. (and slightly more expensive).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:48 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Another bad review on TA for Awasi Patagonia. I bet it will get magically removed as they always seem to. Management at this company is shady and dishonest. It's not a luxury property despite some good reviews. I know some other well traveled forum members are well aware of some of their tactics....

The hot tubs are almost always dirty. The location is not good and the only fun aspect of the 1 hour drive is the opportunity to drive through the river yourself, that's fun.

The best part of the experience is the hiking by far and the privacy is far overrated by having individual rooms. Really there's no point to travel this far unless you really like hiking, and I'm not even sure why a guide is even necessary for hiking unless there may be some health issues. It's not like a safari or even a place teeming with wildlife, like Ecuador or an African safari where a private guide really helps. Dinner service is all right and breakfast is weak, but I suspect that ppl fawn a bit over this property to justify the sheer difficulty of getting there.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DSI
Another bad review on TA for Awasi Patagonia. I bet it will get magically removed as they always seem to. Management at this company is shady and dishonest. It's not a luxury property despite some good reviews. I know some other well traveled forum members are well aware of some of their tactics....

The hot tubs are almost always dirty. The location is not good and the only fun aspect of the 1 hour drive is the opportunity to drive through the river yourself, that's fun.

The best part of the experience is the hiking by far and the privacy is far overrated by having individual rooms. Really there's no point to travel this far unless you really like hiking, and I'm not even sure why a guide is even necessary for hiking unless there may be some health issues. It's not like a safari or even a place teeming with wildlife, like Ecuador or an African safari where a private guide really helps. Dinner service is all right and breakfast is weak, but I suspect that ppl fawn a bit over this property to justify the sheer difficulty of getting there.
Let me see if I can paraphrase this for you DSI: "I don't like it, so it isn't luxury."

How solipsistic.

I know people who are horrified by the prospect of lying on a beach for a week. They would hate Amanpulo. So I guess Amanpulo isn't luxury now either.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:55 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

That's exactly my point. Well put!

Last edited by DSI; Jun 19, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.