Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What to expect from a luxe travel agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect from a luxe travel agent?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a fantastic agent I work with and have for several years. He is pretty much available 24/7 (but obviously may be on the loo the exact moment I call!) so we have expected time frame for a return call. If he will be truly unreachable (e.g. he will be on a 12 hour flight) he will send me an email with the name, phone, cell etc. of a trusted back up just in case. In return I would never call him out of hours for things that could wait (I have no issue sending emails out of hours, but he knows that they can wait for office hours) so he knows if the phone goes at 3am it is because something has gone badly wrong and will answer. Now the downside is he isn't cheap, so I don't use him for basic stuff I can do in 5 minutes by myself. But he is worth it for the more complex things.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:24 am

I used to think it would be neat to be a TA. Not anymore, lol.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
I used to think it would be neat to be a TA. Not anymore, lol.
We all have our crosses to bear, in different ways, I suppose. If I were a TA, I would have no problem being accessible as appropriate to people who needed that level of service, provided of course that it were a mutually acceptable agreement and within reason. A four AM emergency call would not be fun, but on the other hand the many travel perks and special rates available to travel industry professionals would probably make up for that burden.

Some people wake up daily for a 5:00 am commute followed by a long workday in an office building. Or, others live on entirely messed up schedules to be awake for the opening of the stock exchange half way around the world. From that perspective, I think being a good TA probably provides a good balance of work and quality of life.

And of course, such clients would be making it very worthwhile for a TA to occasionally be available after hours. Many affluent people have virtually no time to plan a vacation or discuss travel arrangements during traditional working hours.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

We all have our crosses to bear, in different ways, I suppose. If I were a TA, I would have no problem being accessible as appropriate to people who needed that level of service, provided of course that it were a mutually acceptable agreement and within reason. A four AM emergency call would not be fun, but on the other hand the many travel perks and special rates available to travel industry professionals would probably make up for that burden.

Some people wake up daily for a 5:00 am commute followed by a long workday in an office building. Or, others live on entirely messed up schedules to be awake for the opening of the stock exchange half way around the world. From that perspective, I think being a good TA probably provides a good balance of work and quality of life.

And of course, such clients would be making it very worthwhile for a TA to occasionally be available after hours. Many affluent people have virtually no time to plan a vacation or discuss travel arrangements during traditional working hours.
I was half kidding. The perks alone I'm sure make it more than worthwhile most of the time.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
I was half kidding. The perks alone I'm sure make it more than worthwhile most of the time.
I know Yes, and that’s one of the reasons I might explore that line of work. In addition to turning a hobby/passion into a vocation, the travel benefits are amazing.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:04 pm

As I have said several times on this Forum, I hardly ever use travel agents. This is because they are far less experienced/knowledgeable than I am. And I don't care about the trivial perks they offer. And the one thing that absolutely turns me off about some so-called luxury TAs are their websites that have photos of hotels they have slagged off on other websites and photos of their partners in alluring poses which pitches themselves as somehow aspirational. Yuk yuk yuk . . .
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:24 pm

Hotel Plaza Athenee Paris Diamond Club Agent

Good Afternoon,

My fiance and I are traveling through Europe for our honeymoon and are starting it off in Paris at the Plaza Athenee. I was lucky enough to get a great rate through my corporate travel site for the time and was happy as I also booked airport pickup/host for an added fee.

Today as I was looking through the information on the hotel, I noticed there is the Diamond Club if you book through an agent that is qualified and the perks look amazing. My question is, is it worth it at this point to try (June 27-July 1) and see if the rate can be as low or maybe even matched? I have never worked with an agent before, so I don't know if that is even a possibility.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for being so ill-informed.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
With apologies to the many outstanding TAs in the Forum, I find I often can book online anywhere we want to go...and then contact the property to have them match the typical Virtuoso/FHR amenities/benefits since I'm saving hotels the cost of any commission/fee. In many cases, I've been able to negotiate better benefits than are typically offered by Virtuoso/FHR.

It takes a little time in some cases. But for us, the savings/benefits almost always have been well worth the effort.

Of course, planning our trips is something I very much enjoy. If you despise that, then go with a TA/Virtuoso/FSPP etc agent who can make your life easier and more enjoyable!
Musken, MikeFromTokyo and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
With apologies to the many outstanding TAs in the Forum, I find I often can book online anywhere we want to go...and then contact the property to have them match the typical Virtuoso/FHR amenities/benefits since I'm saving hotels the cost of any commission/fee. In many cases, I've been able to negotiate better benefits than are typically offered by Virtuoso/FHR.

It takes a little time in some cases. But for us, the savings/benefits almost always have been well worth the effort.

Of course, planning our trips is something I very much enjoy. If you despise that, then go with a TA/Virtuoso/FSPP etc agent who can make your life easier and more enjoyable!
I forgive you
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
As I have said several times on this Forum, I hardly ever use travel agents. This is because they are far less experienced/knowledgeable than I am. And I don't care about the trivial perks they offer. And the one thing that absolutely turns me off about some so-called luxury TAs are their websites that have photos of hotels they have slagged off on other websites and photos of their partners in alluring poses which pitches themselves as somehow aspirational. Yuk yuk yuk . . .
I don't care about perks that much and I have typically been to more places than any TA I've ever used, however I continue to use one. One of the primary reasons is that, for the same cost, the room is booked by someone that the property will care about. We might go somewhere once or twice, but a TA can send multiple people.
I want that leverage/relationship. I also don't have the patience for the little nitty details, but I don't give any TA a lot of rope - I know what we want and am clear about it. And I am not good at air, so having a TA with access to a rate desk or doing it his/herself is a must.
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
What rate are you paying for what room category? The current rate starts at 1500€ for a Superior with (1) guaranteed upgrade to a Deluxe Courtyard room, (2) a 100€ credit (that can come off the room rate ... so equivalent to 25€ per night), (3) full breakfast for two (which is unbelievably pricey if you don't have a B&B rate), and (4) premium WiFi for unlimited devices.

Originally Posted by David5785
Good Afternoon,

My fiance and I are traveling through Europe for our honeymoon and are starting it off in Paris at the Plaza Athenee. I was lucky enough to get a great rate through my corporate travel site for the time and was happy as I also booked airport pickup/host for an added fee.

Today as I was looking through the information on the hotel, I noticed there is the Diamond Club if you book through an agent that is qualified and the perks look amazing. My question is, is it worth it at this point to try (June 27-July 1) and see if the rate can be as low or maybe even matched? I have never worked with an agent before, so I don't know if that is even a possibility.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for being so ill-informed.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were getting too many threads asking similar questions so I have combined three threads into this one. It might make some of the above posts seem rather disjointed, but hopefully that problem will not apply to any posts that follow!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
FlyerEC and United747 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
What rate are you paying for what room category? The current rate starts at 1500€ for a Superior with (1) guaranteed upgrade to a Deluxe Courtyard room, (2) a 100€ credit (that can come off the room rate ... so equivalent to 25€ per night), (3) full breakfast for two (which is unbelievably pricey if you don't have a B&B rate), and (4) premium WiFi for unlimited devices.
€1,500 for a Superior room at Plaza Athénée? That’s completely ridiculous. At that level, the smart traveller would expect to be well into the Junior Suite categories. For a bit more, perhaps even an entry level suite around €2,000, and I have seen superior suites as low as €1,700~ or so, as I recall.

If room rates are that high due to demand, I would look into other hotels.
offerendum and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:41 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

€1,500 for a Superior room at Plaza Athénée? That’s completely ridiculous. At that level, the smart traveller would expect to be well into the Junior Suite categories. For a bit more, perhaps even an entry level suite around €2,000, and I have seen superior suites as low as €1,700~ or so, as I recall.

If room rates are that high due to demand, I would look into other hotels.
While not perhaps in the same league, Shangri-La Paris is always worth a look, especially when they're doing 3rd night free. Could get into an entry level suite at very, very reasonable rates (for Paris anyway).
offerendum and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
While not perhaps in the same league, Shangri-La Paris is always worth a look, especially when they're doing 3rd night free. Could get into an entry level suite at very, very reasonable rates (for Paris anyway).
Exactly. And there are many more choices. If you’re at Plaza Athénée and paying €1,500 per night for a standard room, completely regardless of “Diamond Club,” you’re getting a lousy deal. At that point I would advise someone to stay at any number of hotels with lower rates, S-L, PH Vendome, Prince de Galles, Lancaster, etc.. and spend the difference in price dining out or shopping. Or, upgrade to Le Bristol or FS George V for that price, where you can have at least a Premier Room or Jr. Suite etc... Deluxe and Prestige Juniors are particularly good value at le Bristol, especially if upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.