Search

Awasi Atacama, Atacama Desert

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Very pretty!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
I personally was interested in Awasi, but the rustic feel is not my wife's cup of tea. Also, I have heard mixed feedback on the use of air conditioning there (hence my earlier question on it) and am glad they have them. Seemed in the past they did not or had issues with them. With the high temps, I need reassurances of air conditioning (even if they would not be needed), that's my basic requirement (at any price range, but, definitely at this one).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I think what people are missing is that the Atacama is not that hot even in peak summer - it can get warm, but it is at a very high altitude. And at night, it is cool.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:46 pm

I would certainly never suggest someone visit Awasi Atacama as a hotel destination, but if you're interested in visiting the Atacama desert (which I thought was amazing, and in some ways preferred to Patagonia, even though the Awasi hotel there is superior), I'd strongly recommend. The hotel itself is luxury enough, and having a private guide makes all the difference. The scenery and excursions are amazing – here's a picture in "Mars Valley":

Also – if you make it all the way up to Atacama, I'd recommend combining with a trip into Bolivia to see the Salar de Uyuni (and the lagoons along the way). There's definitely nothing that would remotely qualify as luxury along the way, and you spend a lot of time in a car, but the landscapes are spectacular:

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:30 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend it as a hotel? Were there other hotels you considered?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the review. We are booked for Jan 2019 and so it was great to familiarize ourselves with the property. So far, our correspondence with the Awasi has been excellent.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend it as a hotel? Were there other hotels you considered?
Sorry - to be clear, it’s a great (probably the best) hotel option if you’re visiting Atacama (which anyone who enjoys nature should!). But it’s not what I would call a “hotel destination” - it’s not in the class of hotels that one would travel specifically to stay in.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Excellent stay in April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Awasi Atacama for 5 nights in April 2012. Overall it was an exceptional stay. We had the same round room as the OP and it looked pretty much the same 6 years ago. I would like to note that some properties do not photograph well and are far better in person... I think Awasi Atacama is one of these properties.

My stay pretty much echos the comments of the OP. Our private guide, and for longer trips guide and driver, was excellent and tailored everything to our needs.

Food was always enjoyable, but not spectacular. I got the impression the Awasi tried to tailor their service level to each individual guest (based on input from you guide).

In 2012 the Awasi did not have AC. I do not like heat and often have a difficult time in tropical locations with comfort, but I did not have any problem at Awasi. One big advantage of having no AC was not having to listen to all of the compressor units buzzing incessantly. The combination of lower overnight temperatures and very low humidity made for a comfortable stay. Apparently they have now added AC...

Last edited by schriste; Jun 12, 2018 at 4:19 pm Reason: Added photo
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

atacama and patagonia have "4x4 vehicle" per room
iguazu apparently / unacceptably didnt open that way >
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
They too loved the Patagonia property for its private guide
Iguazu...no private transportation. They took the public bus
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
After receiving a PM from the FTer that suffered the epic fail in question (along with the gory details), I am no longer considering a stay
awasi publish free night (at awasi) & combo discount
atacama and patagonia areas can be VERY cold

Originally Posted by epitopeX
Before Awasi I was thinking "I wish all hotels are like Aman", and after Awasi I started to think "I wish all Amans are like Awasi..."

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:36 pm

Any recent stays? Trying to decide between awasi tierra or alto for 3 or 4 nights in Nov. Location looks a bit questionable vs the other two. Depending on basic room availability the price difference is substantial, could easily cover some private excursions at tierra/alto I think Will be doing a 5/6 night trip in torres del Paine beforehand. Have selected explora for this as location is best. Hopefully they have some fitter group hiking options as I've read. But might be inclined for private excursions by the time we get to atacama
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Any recent stays? Trying to decide between awasi tierra or alto for 3 or 4 nights in Nov. Location looks a bit questionable vs the other two. Depending on basic room availability the price difference is substantial, could easily cover some private excursions at tierra/alto I think Will be doing a 5/6 night trip in torres del Paine beforehand. Have selected explora for this as location is best. Hopefully they have some fitter group hiking options as I've read. But might be inclined for private excursions by the time we get to atacama
Why did you pick Explora over Awasi Torres Del Paine? Is it to just save drive time into the park? Other reasons?
Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: virtuoso & all other luxury hotel agent programs. Private jet broker
Originally Posted by Livetotell
Why did you pick Explora over Awasi Torres Del Paine? Is it to just save drive time into the park? Other reasons?
Thanks
The only Advantige of Explora is saving time on the drive. Besides that Awasi is much better IMO and you get a private guide/driver
Old Feb 18, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Livetotell
Why did you pick Explora over Awasi Torres Del Paine? Is it to just save drive time into the park? Other reasons?Thanks
yeah save time on drive, and I get the feeling they have the most dialed hiking program, read about special boat for one of the day hikes etc. We are doing this instead of W circuit basically so don't need over the top pampering
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by apples12
The only Advantige of Explora is saving time on the drive. Besides that Awasi is much better IMO and you get a private guide/driver
maybe I should be thinking of doing 3 nights awasi 3 nights explora in patagonia. My thinking was for the popular day hikes we want to do there will be crowds anyway as far as provate guiding goes... it is annoying that rates between explora and awasi are similar for our dates ​​​​​​​

Last edited by tdiddy23; Feb 18, 2023 at 3:49 pm
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: virtuoso & all other luxury hotel agent programs. Private jet broker
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
maybe I should be thinking of doing 3 nights awasi 3 nights explora in patagonia. My thinking was for the popular day hikes we want to do there will be crowds anyway as far as provate guiding goes... it is annoying that rates between explora and awasi are similar for our dates
If you are doing 6 nights at the park I would definitely split it. Might want to do Awasi 2nd as I always like doing the better hotel last so you can enjoy the first one more. Which place you doing for Atacama?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.