Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Caribbean Mini-Moon Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Luxury Caribbean Mini-Moon Ideas

I am looking for some advice on where to go/stay in the Caribbean for 5 days after my wedding in November. We want something easy, we don't really want to see anything or move around too much, so we're looking for a decently high-end but not too isolated resort that's not far that from the NYC/Washington D.C areas. So far I've considered,
_
  • Amanera (Dominican Republic) - Perfect but more than I wanted to spend at $1,750/night, especially since we're staying at multiple Aman's on our actual honeymoon
  • Sugar Beach (Saint Lucia) - I've stayed here a number of times in the past (pre-Viceroy) and it doesn't excite me that much, but I love the mountainous surroundings
  • Cap Maison (Saint Lucia) - Don't know anything about it, nicer than Sugar Beach or Ladera?
  • Hermitage Bay (Antigua) - Pool looks a little boring but otherwise location looks gorgeous
  • Park Hyatt St. Kitts - Amazingly priced
  • The Reef by Cuisinart (Anguilla)
  • Le Barthelemy or Le Sereno (St. Barths) - Both look ideal for what we want and would be my top choices, but both say reopening in November, worth chancing it? Only Le Barthelemy is taking reservations. Also ChevaI Blanc, but I don't think they will reopen in time
_
I'd really appreciate your thoughts on any of these or any other suggestions
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Certainly Cheval Blanc if they are open, or Amanera. If food is a priority, then Cheval Blanc.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Member

Definitely Cap Juluca over The Reef on Anguilla and a golden choice by any measure.

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/carib...nd-cap-juluca/
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:07 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Hermitage Bay in Antigua being all inclusive might help with overall budget...... it is also more or less adults only in November.
Jumby Bay being 10 minutes from the airport with the direct flights from New York into ANU and is very posh. Food is the best it's ever been under Oetker now as several St Bart's staffers from Eden Roc came over to work while the property is closed
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Certainly Cheval Blanc if they are open, or Amanera. If food is a priority, then Cheval Blanc.
Originally Posted by KatW
Definitely Cap Juluca over The Reef on Anguilla and a golden choice by any measure.
Thanks a lot, I'll keep an eye on them but as of now at least Chevel Blan and Cap Juluca unfortunately don't seem to be reopening until later, after out dates, in November.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Have you thought of Jade Mountain in St Lucia. Not everyone's cup of tea but we loved it. Beautiful architecture with open walls. The food and service is wonderful. We stayed at Sugar Beach too and it doesn't compare in my opinion.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Oops.

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
Thanks a lot, I'll keep an eye on them but as of now at least Chevel Blan and Cap Juluca unfortunately don't seem to be reopening until later, after out dates, in November.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Hermitage Bay in Antigua being all inclusive might help with overall budget...... it is also more or less adults only in November.
Jumby Bay being 10 minutes from the airport with the direct flights from New York into ANU and is very posh. Food is the best it's ever been under Oetker now as several St Bart's staffers from Eden Roc came over to work while the property is closed
I have usually tried to avoid all-inclusives because I’ve never found the food to be that good, but that’s a good point and it does look like a nice place. I considered Jumby Bay but figured for that price I’d rather do the Aman.

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Have you thought of Jade Mountain in St Lucia. Not everyone's cup of tea but we loved it. Beautiful architecture with open walls. The food and service is wonderful. We stayed at Sugar Beach too and it doesn't compare in my opinion.
Good to know, thanks, I’ll have to reconsider that one.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles

I have usually tried to avoid all-inclusives because I’ve never found the food to be that good, but that’s a good point and it does look like a nice place. I considered Jumby Bay but figured for that price I’d rather do the Aman.

Good to know, thanks, I’ll have to reconsider that one.

Some of my photos here:

A Celestial Stay at Jade Mountain, St Lucia - SilverSpoon London

As you can see it's a spectacular property and adults only so perfect for a mini moon
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Amanera in November is still running seasons of discovery. Fifth night free and meals included isn’t a bad gig. Plus if you couple with Citi prestige it’s a solid deal.... non stop flights from JFK on JetBlue. It’s a solid property for sure and very quite if that’s youre thing. Nice Long Beach but I’m not sure how the ocean is that time of year. We were able to get an upgrade from a Hill to Pool casita at time of booking and they further upgraded us to a Bay view pool casita.

Take a look at Goldeneye in Jamaica. We spent our honeymoon there many a moon ago. Loved it but they have since expanded since we visited.

St. Bart’s is an awesome island however getting there is a bit of a pain. With only five days ild look at places with easier travel... at least that’s just me.

How about Turks and Caicos? Beaches there (not beaches resort; just the beaches) are incredible. Flights also relatively straight forward. I don’t think Amanyara is the AutomTic answer here; Parrot Cay looks nice.

I don’t like the actual beaches in St Lucia as much

fdw

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:15 pm

After the massive damage caused by the hurricanes last year several properties closed for rebuilding work. If they are open you need to check if their beaches are still there. Hotels can easily build new rooms or a restaurant but if your beach gets washed away that's impossible to repair. And some beaches change character through the year without the help of hurricanes.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Some of my photos here:

A Celestial Stay at Jade Mountain, St Lucia - SilverSpoon London

As you can see it's a spectacular property and adults only so perfect for a mini moon
Beautiful photos, thanks!

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Amanera in November is still running seasons of discovery. Fifth night free and meals included isn’t a bad gig. Plus if you couple with Citi prestige it’s a solid deal.... non stop flights from JFK on JetBlue. It’s a solid property for sure and very quite if that’s youre thing. Nice Long Beach but I’m not sure how the ocean is that time of year. We were able to get an upgrade from a Hill to Pool casita at time of booking and they further upgraded us to a Bay view pool casita.

Take a look at Goldeneye in Jamaica. We spent our honeymoon there many a moon ago. Loved it but they have since expanded since we visited.

St. Bart’s is an awesome island however getting there is a bit of a pain. With only five days ild look at places with easier travel... at least that’s just me.

How about Turks and Caicos? Beaches there (not beaches resort; just the beaches) are incredible. Flights also relatively straight forward. I don’t think Amanyara is the AutomTic answer here; Parrot Cay looks nice.

I don’t like the actual beaches in St Lucia as much

fdw

Awesome solid advice, thank you! I forgot to consider using my Citi Prestige card there, will definitely consider Goldeneye and Turks and Caicos. Agree about the pain of getting to St. Barths, given the time.

Originally Posted by Pausanias
After the massive damage caused by the hurricanes last year several properties closed for rebuilding work. If they are open you need to check if their beaches are still there. Hotels can easily build new rooms or a restaurant but if your beach gets washed away that's impossible to repair. And some beaches change character through the year without the help of hurricanes.
Great point too. Someone posted a pictures of Chevel Blanc on TripAdvisor, I think from March, did not look good...

Last edited by RunningforMiles; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:43 pm

Jamaica Inn - Ocho Rios. Google it, it’s a wonderful little oasis.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Jamaica Inn - Ocho Rios. Google it, it’s a wonderful little oasis.
Interesting, thanks. Any idea how this would compare to Half Moon?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:06 am

St barths is nice, but the flight can be a bit of a pain. Hotel Le toiny is re-opening in october and is totally remodeled.. each room/villa has it's own pool and is pretty private. With st barths you will need to rent a car and drive a bit if you are there for 5 days....
I don't believe st kitts has non-stop flights everyday so if your dates don't work out to be on the correct days it can be a needlessly long flight.
How about Amanyara? there are non-stops from jfk to pls. I would also check out parrot cay, the boat ride there adds a little travel but it's not too bad (better than the flight from sxm to st barths)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.