Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:00 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

As a regular at Mr. Musashi’s former restaurant in Aoyama, I can say that I have had countless wonderful meals there. His sushi is incredibly good, as is the atmosphere, and every aspect of the dining experience, including the wines and Nihonshu that he always would suggest to me on an omakase basis, along with the entire meal. He knows my tastes so well that what I receive is clearly tailored to my preferences, and it was always evident to me that as a regular I received his absolute best service, even down to the best cuts of a particular fish or item he had on offer. As with all sushi chefs at his level - he is a true shokunin - and everything he does is the result of his passion and hard work, as well as his personally selecting the finest ingredients from his privileged contacts at the fish market, where he of course begins almost every workday.

He is someone for whom I have the utmost respect and gratitude, and I will never forget the privilege I experienced by being welcomed as a regular at his restaurant. As everything he does, like other chefs on his level, is really his own individual intellectual and artistic expression of sushi, I cannot compare his work to anyone else’s. I just would encourage you to go and experience it for yourself. Sukiyabashi Jiro is equally an exceptional experience, and I also have great respect for them. It is a different experience, but I would highly recommend both. The way to appreciate sushi is to try many restaurants and discover for yourself what you like the most.

I will say that when I found Musashi, I basically stopped going elsewhere on a regular basis, in order to just enjoy the experience at Musashi, as it was my personal favorite. So, I couldn’t be happier that he had found Aman, and I think it really is a worthy collaboration as a venue for him to offer his exceptional sushi to a broader audience in addition to his regular local guests.

Do not worry about this at all. Regardless of what it says, or how many items are included in the omakase course - it is usual to have specialties of whatever is best on that day, including beginning with sashimi. You can have makimono, as well as grilled items, as you please. It is customary for sushi chefs to allow guests the opportunity to order on individual basis upon completion of the omakase, to repeat favorite items. And, there will be miso soup as well as the most heavenly tamago at the end of the course. So, rest assured you can eat to your heart’s content. I used to deliberately skip lunch or have a very light lunch on days when I would go for dinner at Musashi, so as to eat liberal amounts of sushi and enjoy everything to the fullest. I never once left hungry after a meal.
This post was a joy to read! Bravo, and you're very much making want to plan a trip to Tokyo and go there.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:08 pm

The imperial garden neighborhood seems nice - good location and views. Do I want the Palace with a https://en.palacehoteltokyo.com/room/grand-deluxe-room/ king room (probably not club - Virtuoso breakfast should be enough) or the Aman with a https://www.aman.com/resorts/aman-to...es/deluxe-room room? The Aman is much more expensive for our early 2020 stay, which is fine if it's notably better (concierge not a priority).

Last edited by richarddd; Jun 23, 2019 at 1:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
This post was a joy to read! Bravo, and you're very much making want to plan a trip to Tokyo and go there.
Thank you! Half the time I worry that when someone asks me about sushi my posts get overly detailed, so I am glad you found it interesting

Sushi, tempura, and other fine Japanese cuisines are reason enough to travel to Japan and enjoy!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Congratulations on your nuptials!

I have checked Aman for possible upcoming dates, but that week a Deluxe room is going for Ą200,000~ per night. I must have picked a high demand period, because normally rates are around half that amount. So much for Aman’s rates not being dynamic... I’ll have to adjust my schedule of combine with Mandarin Oriental or Ritz-Carlton.

I cannot wait for sushi Musashi. I think you’ll really enjoy it next time.
Thanks, Mike. We're looking forward to some superb sushi on the 3rd July. Regarding the nightly rate, 200,000 is extreme, to say the least. We actually had the good fortune for the rates to go down after booking it. I only booked this trip about 3 weeks ago, and I kept checking to see availability for Aman Tokyo we were not yet sure whether we were going to do 6 or 10 nights in Laucala. Prices for a Premier Room went down almost 50%, so I just cancelled and rebooked it. Hopefully you can get as lucky. They upgraded us to a Corner Suite (which means we have now stayed in every room category), but we just never use the living area; Aman Tokyo really is good enough that a room is all you need.

Meanwhile, if I understand correctly you may be at Laucala? I envy you
We are indeed, and currently the only guests on the island.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Thanks, Mike. We're looking forward to some superb sushi on the 3rd July. Regarding the nightly rate, 200,000 is extreme, to say the least. We actually had the good fortune for the rates to go down after booking it. I only booked this trip about 3 weeks ago, and I kept checking to see availability for Aman Tokyo we were not yet sure whether we were going to do 6 or 10 nights in Laucala. Prices for a Premier Room went down almost 50%, so I just cancelled and rebooked it. Hopefully you can get as lucky. They upgraded us to a Corner Suite (which means we have now stayed in every room category), but we just never use the living area; Aman Tokyo really is good enough that a room is all you need.

We are indeed, and currently the only guests on the island.
I hope you are having a fantastic time, although I think that is a given when you have Laucala as your own private island!

Thank you for the advice re Aman Tokyo. Yes, for single occupancy I will just book a standard room. I will have to play with the dates and continue to re check.
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by richarddd
The imperial garden neighborhood seems nice - good location and views. Do I want the Palace with a https://en.palacehoteltokyo.com/room/grand-deluxe-room/ king room (probably not club - Virtuoso breakfast should be enough) or the Aman with a https://www.aman.com/resorts/aman-to...es/deluxe-room room? The Aman is much more expensive for our early 2020 stay, which is fine if it's notably better (concierge not a priority).
I've never been to Aman, but I can speak to the Palace Hotel. The rooms are great. (We stayed in the Club King Deluxe Room, and that was large enough for our needs), The Club, with their staff, is truly remarkable. I am currently working with the concierge to curate a trip next year. As they have been in the past, they are fantastic resources. They already have saved me $600 based on a recommendation.
richarddd likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Returning to The Peninsula on my next swing through Tokyo, quite excited as up until now it's been my pick for best in town. I suppose we'll see if the standard is still high (I'm sure it is).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I've never been to Aman, but I can speak to the Palace Hotel. The rooms are great. (We stayed in the Club King Deluxe Room, and that was large enough for our needs), The Club, with their staff, is truly remarkable. I am currently working with the concierge to curate a trip next year. As they have been in the past, they are fantastic resources. They already have saved me $600 based on a recommendation.
A great room is very important to us.

I don't think we'd get much value from the Club. The only food of interest is breakfast, which we could get in the regular restaurant. Is the club concierge much different from the regular one? The only real issue for a concierge is finding high end restaurants that have both regular and vegetarian dishes, which I fear is not something just about any Tokyo concierge is going to be able to deal with.

I continue to wonder if the Aman is significantly better.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Gold
My husband and I will be heading to Tokyo next February for our annual foodie trip in Japan. Having stayed at Conrad, Palace and RC, we've decided that we are going to try something new next year. We have the Tokyo Station Hotel booked for the 1st segment of the trip as we really want to try out their famous concierge service. For the second segment of the trip we currently have the following booked and were just wondering which would be the best pick? Thanks in advance for all your input!

Prince Gallery Grand Deluxe Corner King 2 nights for 130K yen ( BRG rate and with Marriott Gold)
Andaz Tower View King 2 nights for 137K yen (Hyatt Prive benefit with no status)
Conrad City King 2 nights 118K yen (Hilton Diamond)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:15 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by kwsc930
My husband and I will be heading to Tokyo next February for our annual foodie trip in Japan. Having stayed at Conrad, Palace and RC, we've decided that we are going to try something new next year. We have the Tokyo Station Hotel booked for the 1st segment of the trip as we really want to try out their famous concierge service. For the second segment of the trip we currently have the following booked and were just wondering which would be the best pick? Thanks in advance for all your input!

Prince Gallery Grand Deluxe Corner King 2 nights for 130K yen ( BRG rate and with Marriott Gold)
Andaz Tower View King 2 nights for 137K yen (Hyatt Prive benefit with no status)
All great hotels (I've stayed at all three and was impressed by all).

Conrad is the only one that'd give you club lounge access. At the Andaz on Prive you should get restaurant breakfast. As Marriott Gold you might as well have no status, so you get what you pay for and nothing more. Since you've already tried the Conrad I'd rule it out and try something new. Personally I'd go Andaz on this one. As much as I love the Prince Gallery, I'm still bitter about the recent devaluation and it is a hotel where status matters (moreso than Andaz)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:16 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Just finished a stay at Aman Tokyo and also Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho.

Prince Gallery is a terrific property and the concierge staff is wonderful (got me into Sawada, Narisawa, etc). Very impressed. The hotel is very new and 360 degree views. I saw many of the room categories and also met the Sales director. Best to book a Luxury Privileges rate (now part of the expanded STARS program) for added benefits and also can get upgraded to have club lounge access. Feel free to PM me for more details/questions.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:38 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by kwsc930

Of the three options, I'd also lean towards Andaz. Especially going Prive as that means an upgrade at booking, basically.

But if you haven't tried Aman yet, it might be a good opportunity as Feb has great rates. Some nights, it's JPY 100k++, while it's more than the others, it's the lowest rate all year for Aman Tokyo. On our previous visit, I've found it to be better than our first. Not a perfect property but still favorite in Tokyo.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Of the three options, I'd also lean towards Andaz. Especially going Prive as that means an upgrade at booking, basically.

But if you haven't tried Aman yet, it might be a good opportunity as Feb has great rates. Some nights, it's JPY 100k++, while it's more than the others, it's the lowest rate all year for Aman Tokyo. On our previous visit, I've found it to be better than our first. Not a perfect property but still favorite in Tokyo.
Do you have an opinion on Aman compared to Palace for mid-January? Aman Deluxe at JPY 122K or Palace Grand Deluxe King (no club) at 78k, plus whatever Virtuoso gives?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Amb/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
All great hotels (I've stayed at all three and was impressed by all).

Conrad is the only one that'd give you club lounge access. At the Andaz on Prive you should get restaurant breakfast. As Marriott Gold you might as well have no status, so you get what you pay for and nothing more. Since you've already tried the Conrad I'd rule it out and try something new. Personally I'd go Andaz on this one. As much as I love the Prince Gallery, I'm still bitter about the recent devaluation and it is a hotel where status matters (moreso than Andaz)
As the room I booked in Princess Gallery - Grand Deluxe Corner King is located on the club level, I've confirmed with the hotel that I do get club access and I get choose to have breakfast at either the club lounge or the hotel restaurant and Japanese breakfast at no extra charge. How's the food offering/quality at Prince Gallery? It "looks" like the breakfast at Andaz is higher quality but I could be wrong. My priority for hotel option this time would be late checkout > food > hardware as the flight doesn't depart until 10pm at night.

Originally Posted by ray1022
Just finished a stay at Aman Tokyo and also Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho.

Prince Gallery is a terrific property and the concierge staff is wonderful (got me into Sawada, Narisawa, etc). Very impressed. The hotel is very new and 360 degree views. I saw many of the room categories and also met the Sales director. Best to book a Luxury Privileges rate (now part of the expanded STARS program) for added benefits and also can get upgraded to have club lounge access. Feel free to PM me for more details/questions.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely be looking into Luxury Privileges rate.

Originally Posted by BESVISOR

Tower view is the the upgraded room as we originally had the base room booked and I agree with you that we do get the most benefit going with Andaz. Interesting that you mentioned Aman. My husband and I go to Japan every year and we've always wanted to try Aman. We would book it but always end up cancelling because I find it really painful dealing with their concierge. It takes in average, 1 week's time to get a response comparing to RC or Palace's 1 day turnover. As we go to Japan to eat, we would really like to go with a hotel who can help us get the reservation that we want
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I have checked Aman for possible upcoming dates, but that week a Deluxe room is going for Ą200,000~ per night. I must have picked a high demand period, because normally rates are around half that amount. So much for Aman’s rates not being dynamic... I’ll have to adjust my schedule of combine with Mandarin Oriental or Ritz-Carlton.
Yep, when I stayed there recently it was 215k JPY base (267,430 w/ tax) for the Premier room and the Deluxe was 200k base. But the subsequent month the range was 90k-130k max. So definitely a high variance in rates. [But I was checking in the weeks before my stay and it was sold out or suites only on most nights, so... I guess they have a good sense of demand.]

FWIW I have a screenshot from the time I booked so you can see the range. This screenshot was taken mid May 2018 showing prices ~11-12 months ahead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.