Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
There's also a few posters' favorite, the PG Kioicho. A Grand Deluxe Corner King, Club level, Guest room, 1 King, City view, Corner room, High floor is about $1,200/night with club access for 58sqm (bigger than the RC room). OTOH, the Marriott thread The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread] is less favorable than this thread.
As one who has stayed and had a spectacular experience at the Prince Gallery Kioicho only last May, I know why there’s a discrepancy. From my experienced luxury perspective, there is no doubt that the PG is among the nicest hotels in Tokyo; our visits to the Aman, MO, Pen, and FS made it abundantly obvious.

From the Marriott thread perspective, the PG stopped giving free lounge access and stopped honoring Suite Night Awards—so too many Marriott elites who expect every freebie and elite perk possible are quite upset. I don’t think those Marriott elite issues play into the general thinking or expectations of those of us in the Luxury Forum.

The PG has the best hard product in Tokyo but for the Aman IMO. It isn’t even close. The PG has excellent food/beverage (though the MO may be better), excellent service, excellent concierge, and a fantastic bar. FWIW, the PG Executive Lounge is excellent—but I could care less about lounges.

When we return to Tokyo, we most certainly plan to return to the PG.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We're looking for a luxury hotel in Tokyo for the last few days of a trip to Japan in January. Our most important criteria are hard product (room size, decor and view), breakfast (non-Japanese buffet would be fine) and location. A concierge who can reserve restaurants is much less important and a pool is completely unimportant. No status with any hotel (other than Marriott silver). I don't want to spend more than about $1,000/night. We have lots of Marriott and Chase UR (transferable to Hyatt) points.
What would you recommend?
Palace Hotel. Concierge Level. Great rooms, good location. Wonderful food. Excellent service.
ngfan, FlyerEC and ajca like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

As one who has stayed and had a spectacular experience at the Prince Gallery Kioicho only last May, I know why there’s a discrepancy. From my experienced luxury perspective, there is no doubt that the PG is among the nicest hotels in Tokyo; our visits to the Aman, MO, Pen, and FS made it abundantly obvious.

From the Marriott thread perspective, the PG stopped giving free lounge access and stopped honoring Suite Night Awards—so too many Marriott elites who expect every freebie and elite perk possible are quite upset. I don’t think those Marriott elite issues play into the general thinking or expectations of those of us in the Luxury Forum.
That makes sense and is likely a very large part of the complaints, although there a few that seem to find other issues (there are always a few).

In any event, PG is on our short list. Do you have any experience with the A Grand Deluxe Corner King, Club level, Guest room, 1 King, City view, Corner room, High floor?

The Aman does look rather nice, but is getting pricey. Perhaps I'll be feeling more expansive by January.

Originally Posted by 747FC
Palace Hotel. Concierge Level. Great rooms, good location. Wonderful food. Excellent service.
Their calendar is not yet showing availability for January (it's neither marked as sold out nor as out of booking range).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:11 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
We're looking for a luxury hotel in Tokyo for the last few days of a trip to Japan in January. Our most important criteria are hard product (room size, decor and view), breakfast (non-Japanese buffet would be fine) and location. A concierge who can reserve restaurants is much less important and a pool is completely unimportant. No status with any hotel (other than Marriott silver). I don't want to spend more than about $1,000/night. We have lots of Marriott and Chase UR (transferable to Hyatt) points.
What would you recommend?
Andaz 5th would fit your criteria well, if those are the things you care about. It can usually be had for far under your budget, and it's a good deal on Hyatt points despite going up a category recently.

I absolutely love the Prince Gallery; but the parts where it really shines aren't what you said you cared about, and the base level rooms are a bit on the small side, though very well designed and feeling a lot roomier than their square footage.

The PH location sucks major balls and the rooms are getting dated, though are large and well appointed.

Last edited by helvetic; Apr 5, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

90m2 is certainly large enough. Upgrading to a large suite with points would be rather attractive. This is a bit over the top: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30381281-post122.html

How is it for things other than renovation, such as location, view, breakfast, etc?
People knock the location because it's a 15 minute walk from Shinjuku station, which has connections to everywhere (it's the busiest train station in the world). The hotel does run a free shuttle to and from the station every 20 minutes. I think the breakfast buffet is fine, both Japanese and western included. As to view, this is Tokyo's original view hotel. The lobby is on the 41st floor and rooms above that. At the very top is the famous New York bar and restaurant.
ajca likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Andaz 5th would fit your criteria well, if those are the things you care about. It can usually be had for far under your budget, and it's a good deal on Hyatt points despite going up a category recently.
Agree on Andaz hard product, it is outstanding. Breakfast is pretty good. @richarddd It's a huge city - where you mostly want to be and what you want to do and how comfortable you are navigating the subway?

The PH location sucks major balls and the rooms are getting dated, though are large and well appointed.
The PH rooms and overall decor are somewhat a matter of taste, to be sure. I am still a fan of the kind of timeless minimalist design and attention to detail at the PH. And again for location, it depends on what you want to do... if it's drink whisky at Golden Gai then the PH is a good place to stumble back to If you want to do touristy stuff in Marunouchi or shopping in Ginza then naturally Shinjuku is not ideal.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
People knock the location because it's a 15 minute walk from Shinjuku station, which has connections to everywhere (it's the busiest train station in the world). The hotel does run a free shuttle to and from the station every 20 minutes. I think the breakfast buffet is fine, both Japanese and western included. As to view, this is Tokyo's original view hotel. The lobby is on the 41st floor and rooms above that. At the very top is the famous New York bar and restaurant.
The views here are of a bunch of office skyscrapers, not the more picturesque Tokyo Tower or Skytree, or the Odaiba views you could get at the Conrad.

The walk to Shinjuku station is 15min if you don't get lost, which is very easy around Shinjuku, and if it's in summer or winter it'll be rather unpleasant to be exposed to the elements. Prince Gallery is connected directly to a huge pair of stations, and the Andaz is a much quicker 5min walk flat down a straight street (hard to get lost).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by ajca
The PH rooms and overall decor are somewhat a matter of taste, to be sure. I am still a fan of the kind of timeless minimalist design and attention to detail at the PH. And again for location, it depends on what you want to do... if it's drink whisky at Golden Gai then the PH is a good place to stumble back to If you want to do touristy stuff in Marunouchi or shopping in Ginza then naturally Shinjuku is not ideal.
That would be a long stumble home… especially intoxicated!

Note — I don't mind Shinjuku, which is a great area to be in. I just don't like how isolated PH seems in its office building 15min+ away from everything.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:49 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The views here are of a bunch of office skyscrapers, not the more picturesque Tokyo Tower or Skytree, or the Odaiba views you could get at the Conrad.

The walk to Shinjuku station is 15min if you don't get lost, which is very easy around Shinjuku, and if it's in summer or winter it'll be rather unpleasant to be exposed to the elements. Prince Gallery is connected directly to a huge pair of stations, and the Andaz is a much quicker 5min walk flat down a straight street (hard to get lost).
Isn't that an interesting comment, he said as he looked at Skytree in the distance from his PH room window. Oh, and isn't that Tokyo Tower off to the right as well. Since I can see Shinjuku station too, I know that from the front entrance of the hotel, you take a right turn and walk straight there. And if it's summer or winter and you don't want to be exposed to the elements, you can enter the Shinjuku Washington hotel a few hundred yards along the way. From there, you can walk in a temperature-controlled underground tunnel the rest of the way to the station.
mongobot likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Isn't that an interesting comment, he said as he looked at Skytree in the distance from his PH room window. Oh, and isn't that Tokyo Tower off to the right as well. Since I can see Shinjuku station too, I know that from the front entrance of the hotel, you take a right turn and walk straight there. And if it's summer or winter and you don't want to be exposed to the elements, you can enter the Shinjuku Washington hotel a few hundred yards along the way. From there, you can walk in a temperature-controlled underground tunnel the rest of the way to the station.

I guess if you call that a view.

Compare with the view from the Andaz rooms:

Similar differences between PG and PH for Skytree
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I prefer seeing Fuji from my PH suite. Need that crisp winter air though.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Guys, we can love them both! They are both amazing!

But to be honest seeing the photos above reminded me of how much I like having NY Bar & Grill just an elevator ride away - especially compared to the absolutely rubbish rooftop bar at the Andaz or anywhere near there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

But to be honest seeing the photos above reminded me of how much I like having NY Bar & Grill just an elevator ride away - especially compared to the absolutely rubbish rooftop bar at the Andaz or anywhere near there.
I thought the drinks at Andaz rooftop were fine. You disliked being outdoors-ish?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:07 am

Tokyo concierge rankings

So I am planning a long, first time trip to Japan for my 50th birthday celebration with my wife in which we will be spending a few days in Osaka, Kyoto and then Tokyo. I have the bookings done for the first two, but struggling a bit with the Tokyo booking. I have been reading through the hotel threads and getting a ton of great information from them but had a question which I have see only a little information on, and then some conflicting information at that.

The main purpose of our trip is really to take in some of the amazing food and drink the country has to offer, with some sightseeing / culture wrapped around the first two main goals. I have no real desire to try to go to Jiro, but of course would if possible love to try Saito, along with apparently everyone else visiting.

The question I put forth is among the bigger / luxury hotels

MO
Aman
PT
PG
etc,

Is there is a concierge power ranking or general feeling of who can probably still have the most connections with some higher end places to work with to get reservations?

I have seen some comments around the MO concierge not being to effective and has dipped off in regards to communication responsiveness, and also heard that the Aman, while excellent, also has it its stumbles with concierge service.

Given we have planned to be in Tokyo for almost 8 nights, we are hoping the duration of the stay will allow us to establish a good rapport with the concierge and also give enough flexibility in terms of booking days/nights for harder places.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:56 am

The clientele at NY Bar is truly insufferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.