Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would pick the MO a) if I had no Hyatt Globalist status b) prices were pretty much the same c) were doing a FanClub booking through a good agent. Better breakfast there and a proper concierge. Andaz Tokyo only ever sells their suites or gives them to inane influencers.
MattEvan likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 25, 2019 at 12:45 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:28 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There are a lot of posts in the Andaz Tokyo thread in the Hyatt forum that Globalist Hyatt status or use of a suite upgrade only gets you a better regular room, not a suite. The Andaz apparently has few suites.

Even though I am a strong Hyatt supporter, I think with this two hotel choice, I'd pick the MO although I admit I have never stayed at either hotel.
I haven't stayed at the MO, but I have stayed at the Andaz several times. It's one of my favorite hotels in the world.

I don't stay here for a suite upgrade. All my upgrades have been to better view rooms. The views of Tokyo Tower are absolutely insane from this hotel. Even those rooms are quite roomy with a couch alongside the window, coffee table, desk, bed with views, and a massive bathroom with shower + a massive soaking tub, and a small closet area. It's more than enough room for anyone.

The other reasons I like this place have nothing to do with the room: the spa with carbonated jacuzzis and crazy views, the incredible breakfast, the outdoor rooftop bar on top of Tokyo's tallest building, the free-flowing wine/sparkling sake for all guests at happy hour, the service, the design (the gorgeous wood everywhere), and the views everywhere. The amazing panty-dropping views.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by osxunf
I'll be in Japan for a total of 16 days and I'm looking to stay in a nice luxury hotel for my last 5 days in Tokyo. I have narrowed my choices to Andaz or Mandarin.
  • Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills (base room)
  • Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo (base room)
Unfortunately, these are the two Tokyo properties whose concierges have failed big-time with multiple issues spanning several simple requests. I'd definitely stay elsewhere if you need concierge services.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately, these are the two Tokyo properties whose concierges have failed big-time with multiple issues spanning several simple requests. I'd definitely stay elsewhere if you need concierge services.
I am self sufficient in Tokyo, but I consistently have had fantastic service at both of these hotels. It is hard for me
to imagine a request that these hotels could not handle. Thinking of all the Tokyo concierges, only the Peninsula’s stands out as unacceptable to me, but that was due to an attitude problem. I will never set foot in the Peninsula Tokyo again, there are too many better options.

The lovely concierges at Ritz-Carlton, Grand Hyatt, and Park Hyatt stand out as class acts. Completely lovely to interact with, and very good at what they do.

MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:42 am

Doing some more research, I’m shocked that the smoking in M.O is not mentioned very much on flyertalk?

i see many reviews on TripAdvisor that the entire place has a stale smoke smell because of the smoking bar on the 37th floor.

Has anyone had an issue with smoke smell?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:27 pm

Doing some more research, I’m shocked that the smoking in M.O is not mentioned very much on flyertalk?

i see many reviews on TripAdvisor that the entire place has a stale smoke smell because of the smoking bar on the 37th floor.

I’m one of the cigar smokers in the bar. I haven’t noticed any odor in the hotel, which is non smoking in all other public spaces.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver

There is definitely an unmistakable cigarette smoke smell by the front desk and the concierge area. Not that it is a smoking area but the entire area is permeated with the smell.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am self sufficient in Tokyo, but I consistently have had fantastic service at both of these hotels. It is hard for me
to imagine a request that these hotels could not handle. Thinking of all the Tokyo concierges, only the Peninsula’s stands out as unacceptable to me, but that was due to an attitude problem. I will never set foot in the Peninsula Tokyo again, there are too many better options.
Quite ironically (given how bad the Pen Tokyo is in most areas), the Pen concierge just gave me bad recommendations for restaurants (a lot of tourist traps). The MO and Andaz concierges were actually incompetent, with the MO concierge being quite rude as well.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by sleepro
There is definitely an unmistakable cigarette smoke smell by the front desk and the concierge area. Not that it is a smoking area but the entire area is permeated with the smell.
I’ve never noticed it. Japan is not a place where people are entitled to a smoke free environment. Hotels will place ashtrays and matches even in nonsmoking rooms if housekeeping sees a pack of cigarettes left out on a table, and then use an ozone generator to refresh the room for the next guest. A very significant percentage especially of the Japanese male population smoke cigarettes.

Originally Posted by gengar
Quite ironically (given how bad the Pen Tokyo is in most areas), the Pen concierge just gave me bad recommendations for restaurants (a lot of tourist traps). The MO and Andaz concierges were actually incompetent, with the MO concierge being quite rude as well.
At Andaz one problem is that there is no traditional concierge desk. MO has always been excellent in my experience. My requests are usually very straightforward and in Japanese.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:07 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

I’ve never noticed it. Japan is not a place where people are entitled to a smoke free environment. Hotels will place ashtrays and matches even in nonsmoking rooms if housekeeping sees a pack of cigarettes left out on a table, and then use an ozone generator to refresh the room for the next guest. A very significant percentage especially of the Japanese male population smoke cigarettes.
A lot of people not just dislike but actually can't physically stand the smell of smoke, so while "entitled" is the wrong word to use - a lot of people will most definitely choose one place over the other if it guarantees such a smoke-free environment.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
A lot of people not just dislike but actually can't physically stand the smell of smoke, so while "entitled" is the wrong word to use - a lot of people will most definitely choose one place over the other if it guarantees such a smoke-free environment.
I was not using the word entitled pejoratively. It’s just the reality of things in Japan. There will be smoke in bars especially at hotels.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:16 am

Assuming that responsiveness and effectiveness in securing reservations at certain high-end restaurants (that would typically be tough to secure by foreigners) by the hotel concierge team is the one major tie-breaking factor, should I try to book at the Ritz-Carlton or Prince Gallery?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

I was not using the word entitled pejoratively. It’s just the reality of things in Japan. There will be smoke in bars especially at hotels.
Some countries are non-smoker friendlier than others.....
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

This may be true, but I never smelled smoke at any of the Tokyo hotels at which I've stayed: Conrad, Palace, Hilton Tokyo, Hilton Nagoya. Of course, while I don't populate bars, I do pass through public areas.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A general discussion of smoking in Japan belongs in the Japan forum, not here. Let's get back on topic, thanks!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.