Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Will be visiting Tokyo twice next month. First short stay will be at the Grand Hyatt which I haven’t been back for ages. Chose it mostly for its location but am curious how the hard product is these days. Second longer stay will be at the Prince Gallery per bhrubin’s recommendation. Their concierge has been painfully slow in responding though. Am tempted to go back to the RC Club level just for that reason alone but the rate is almost twice the PG
You sure you have the correct concierge email address? Marriott changed servers after its Aug 18 integration and that has caused many emails to get lost in cyberspace and never get received as intended. From my May stay, I have the following concierge email address at the Prince Gallery, but I can’t be sure it’s still valid:

[email protected]

Just know that any former luxurycollection.com email domains have switched to theluxurycollectionhotels.com.

The PG conciegre team was extremely responsive for me back before and during our May stay. I can only believe that they are just as responsive but perhaps suffering from the Marriott IT failures of late.

Good luck!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 21, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

You sure you have the correct concierge email address? Marriott changed servers after its Aug 18 integration and that has caused many emails to either get lost in cyberspace and never get received as intended. From my May stay, I have the following concierge email address at the Prince Gallery, but I can’t be sure it’s still valid:

[email protected]

Just know that any former luxurycollection.com email domains have switched to theluxurycollectionhotels.com.

The PG conciegre team was extremely responsive for me back before and during our May stay. I can only believe that they are just as responsive but perhaps suffering from the Marriott IT failures of late.

Good luck!
This is downright embarrassing. More ace work from the legendary Marriott IT team.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

P

Originally Posted by MattEvan
This is downright embarrassing. More ace work from the legendary Marriott IT team.
Indeed. It also happened post August 18 that I stopped getting email responses from my normally very responsive contacts at my favorite StR San Francisco. I had to call to learn (not surprisingly) that they hadn’t received any of the emails I’d sent. It’s a Marriott corporate IT issue that unfortunately has impact on its many hotels.

While it’s annoying to call internationally, I’d call at least once to confirm a working email address and that they do receive your emails. From that point forward, you should be fine. You also can check the specific property thread in the Marriott Forum, where many of us have been adding corrected email addresses for various properties.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 am

They did receive my emails but they are just sloooooooooooow! On the other hand, the GH didn’t receive my initial email but once I called to make sure I have the right email address, they responded 3 times within an afternoon
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
They did receive my emails but they are just sloooooooooooow! On the other hand, the GH didn’t receive my initial email but once I called to make sure I have the right email address, they responded 3 times within an afternoon
This lack of email response is interesting. I recently stayed at the Palace Hotel and had tremendous help from the concierge team. However, they failed to respond to my initial email. After a kind FTer forwarded me a Rooms director email, and I contacted her, then all of a sudden the concierge became very helpful. Puzzling about the cross-hotel concierge lethargy.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:12 am
Suspended

I’d then ask to be called either by the head concierge (whom I adored) or the Director of Front Office who usually oversees the concierge team. I’d express my disappointment in delayed responsiveness and politely ask for better service.

It is quite possible, even likely, that the Marriott IT issues have caused a backlog of emails on their end. Makes their job much harder. But the only way to parse any service issue mess is to be clear with them about your expectations and that they are failing to meet them.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
This lack of email response is interesting. I recently stayed at the Palace Hotel and had tremendous help from the concierge team. However, they failed to respond to my initial email. After a kind FTer forwarded me a Rooms director email, and I contacted her, then all of a sudden the concierge became very helpful. Puzzling about the cross-hotel concierge lethargy.
And I had this issue with the RC Kyoto concierge prior to our May stay there, as well. (In contrast, the PG and Suiran concierge teams were spectacularly responsive and far more helpful and positive.) I had to contact the GM to get their team on point. From that moment forward, the concierge team was much more helpful and proactive. Sometimes, when a hotel team isn’t being responsive, it takes a swift reminder that they’re a 5 star luxury hotel that isn’t behaving like one to get them to move forward in a better manner.

I also believe that English language issues can play a big part in Japan in delaying responsiveness, which is why we see these happen so often across so many different luxury hotels—regardless of any Marriott IT issues.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:21 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Mandarin Oriental completed their refurbishment of rooms and suites.

Here's the digital brochure the M.O. team sent me. Hope it works and helps anyone who is considering the M.O. to decide accordingly.
https://online.fliphtml5.com/jwkw/nwiw/#p=6
fat_al_nyc likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:24 am

Will give them a bit of time first to see what they can pull together. Have stayed at so many top hotels in Japan over the years and this is about as slow as it gets. Haven’t really had issues and the RC in Tokyo, Kyoto, the IC Osaka, GH, Pen, SL, MO in Tokyo are all quite responsive. I really wanted to see if the PG would topple the RC Club as my go to place to stay and will have to see
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Mandarin Oriental completed their refurbishment of rooms and suites.

Here's the digital brochure the M.O. team sent me. Hope it works and helps anyone who is considering the M.O. to decide accordingly.
https://online.fliphtml5.com/jwkw/nwiw/#p=6
Thank you for this....just to confirm, has the entire hotel been refurbished? This used to be one of my favorite hotels in the world, but as it aged, it was less impressive and we
moved on. We have found many hotels we liked - though Aman was not impressive on the service front, considering the price point - but not loved and would like to try the MO again if it's hard product is competitive.
fat_al_nyc likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC
It can happen at any luxury property in Japan through a combination of email filters/blocks or sheer volume. I usually find out the chief concierge and put my requests through them.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will be visiting Tokyo twice next month. First short stay will be at the Grand Hyatt which I haven’t been back for ages. Chose it mostly for its location but am curious how the hard product is these days. Second longer stay will be at the Prince Gallery per bhrubin’s recommendation. Their concierge has been painfully slow in responding though. Am tempted to go back to the RC Club level just for that reason alone but the rate is almost twice the PG
I just stayed at the Prince Gallery and my take is that as a Marriott Plat+ (or whatever level gets lounge access curently as it's a LC so that lounge access isn't a published elite benefit any longer, I'm actually LTPP and PPwithAMB), I would probably take the price Gallery but if one is paying for lounge access, the price difference is about the same for the Prince Gallery as for the RC, so I'd pick the RC because the lounge is better (even though the Prino e Gallery has a very good lounge that seems to be quiet and exclusive, due partly to its small size). Also, kids under 12 are forbidden in the lounge starting with afternoon tea, but this wasn't enforced one evening as there was a very loud child of about age six that the lounge employees were fawning over. [I only saw the party once, so I don't know whether the kid created disturbances at breakfast.] This property has rooms with lounge access but apparently no club lounge floor or section of the hotel, which comprises floors 30 through 36 of a new building, supposedly the second highest (after Toronomon Hills, where the Andaz is located on the top floors) in the city.

Other considerations would be location, etc. There's a small shopping mall on the lower level, although it's oriented more toward local office workers, with lunch type restaurants and convenience services, although there is a grocery store.

Another consideration is that Prince is a Japanese chain, so it might seem to be more local in style and service, with more local guests, although this would presumably be the best of the (about forty) Prince hotels (and they have their own loyalty program too).

I was upgraded (without using SNAs) to a "premier" room with a SkyTree view (the lounge has a Tokyo Tower view, with both overlooking the Imperial Palace gardens), but the regular rooms seem like high end IKEA furnishings to me. I wan't a fan of the motion detector bright light in the toilet, nor of the random toilet seat temps that couldn't be controlled. Still, I liked the bathtub and rain shower. My bathroom had double bowl sinks, but they were very small and shallow. Toiletries were generous (look in the drawer) and decent. The room had two bathrobes, two sets of slippers, two yukata (spelling?), and two sets of white polished cotton PJs, but surprisingly used PJs weren't replaced.

The hotel includes a historic house (across the courtyard on level four) that has a French restaurant, cafe, and bar. There's some interesting modern art, including outdoor sculpture. I enjoyed a saki tasting (three cups of cold saki of different types, plus a beautiful snack presentation of spinach with crab, sashimi, and green tea peanuts) in the bar of the Japanese restaurant. The hotel also offers origami lessons, sushi preparation/tasting, and a couple other experiences listed on the inroom iPad.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 21, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
Seems like I'm the only one where PG doesn't really do it for me. Had tried to put in 2 high end sushiya reservations, which took then 6 days to achonowledge and respond to. As the reservation was only 3 weeks out, one of the sushiya ended up being fully booked by the time they responded.

At check in I wasn't offered any upgrade what so ever despite being ambassador and all rooms and suites fully opened for the duration of my stay. The service started well, but can be hit or miss.

Also what's with the security guard patrolling the hall? Always feel awkward when he starts giving a military salute of some sort.

The Park Hyatt has an aging hard product but so far just from tlmy experience at the New York Bar I'm likely to give them a shot for my next Tokyo trip in late Feb.
I'm a little late to the party, but I highly recommend the PH Tokyo. We were celebrating our anniversary, and we were upgraded to a beautiful room with stunning views of Mt. Fuji. We found the location easy to get to and from Shinjuku center, and their shuttle service was quick and very easy to use. The decor didn't bother us at all (I believe they actually constantly refresh, but keep the 90's decor on purpose), the concierge was wonderfully responsive, and we had an excellent experience at the New York Bar and swimming in the pool. @bhrubin asked me to do a comparison in this thread of the PH v. the Tokyo RC - I am getting around to, I promise!
SojournsOf and Dave510 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

We just completed a sublime stay at the Conrad. Previous stays in Tokyo have been at the Palace, the Imperial and one previous Conrad stay.

This was a family stay with the kids. The original plan was to try the PH, which I had booked at a decent corporate rate. However then the Japan/Korea Hilton flash sale came along at 50% off, so cancelled the PH and booked a suite at the Conrad.

The location worked well for us on this occasion. We had a number of activities planned at Odaiba, including both of the astounding TeamLab exhibits (Borderless and Planets). As an aside, these are must-see attractions in Tokyo.

Other aspects of this stay that I liked were:
The staff - every single one we dealt with was excellent, and nothing was too difficult. Staff language skills were the best I've encountered in Tokyo, and noticeably better than previous trips, with some staff fluent in Japanese, Korean, Mandarin and English.

The room sizes are also a real standout, ours was around 75sqm, which is very large by Tokyo standards.

Pool and Gym both very well maintained.

Breakfast offerings were consistently good, and a varied selection of CTO offerings available.

The little things like giving the kids some extra Conrad bears and so on really did enhance the experience. A great stay overall.
MattEvan, 747FC and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:49 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Conrad is indeed very nice and good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.