Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:32 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I wish there was a better way for them to get rid of problem people. I don't like being punished by the bad reputation western tourist slobs give to every traveler.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I wish there was a better way for them to get rid of problem people. I don't like being punished by the bad reputation western tourist slobs give to every traveler.
There can be ways around things like this. While officially restaurants may not take concierge bookings, that almost certainly depends on who you are and what your level of experience is. Japanese speakers can make their own reservations, or if a concierge knows guests well enough and has confidence, doors may well open up. Aman Tokyo and other top hotels make reservations for their Japanese guests all the time.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

It makes one wonder what “issues” could possibly arise. I have an idea though - pampered guests staying at Aman or other top hotels probably think that the time flexibility and the entertaining of special requests that they get at their hotels follows along with them when they go to a restaurant reserved through the hotel’s concierge. It does not.

My all time favorite sushi chef has now moved to Aman Tokyo, so I would never even need to book outside of the hotel while staying.

Issues indeed when there are no shows at tiny restaurants - whether kaiseki , sushi , tempura , etcetera . Really unfair to the chefs / owners . Poor behaviour mentioned is unacceptable .

Looking forward to returning to AmanTokyo In October
Unfortunately , your favourite chef MikeFromTokyo cannot work around our allergies as in last November , so will miss it again . However , the head concierge managed to arrange our dinner at short notice at the Palace ( thanks Aventine - not Imperial ) , thanks also to bhrubin ‘ s suggestion .
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 13, 2019 at 6:50 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Issues indeed when there are no shows at tiny restaurants - whether kaiseki , sushi , tempura , etcetera . Really unfair to the chefs / owners . Poor behaviour mentioned is unacceptable .

Looking forward to returning to AmanTokyo In October
Unfortunately , your favourite chef MikeFromTokyo cannot work around our allergies as in last November , so will miss it again . However , the head concierge managed to arrange our dinner at short notice at the Imperial , thanks also to bhrubin ‘ s suggestion .
Or Palace hotel is delectable as well.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

It makes one wonder what “issues” could possibly arise. I have an idea though - pampered guests staying at Aman or other top hotels probably think that the time flexibility and the entertaining of special requests that they get at their hotels follows along with them when they go to a restaurant reserved through the hotel’s concierge. It does not.

My all time favorite sushi chef has now moved to Aman Tokyo, so I would never even need to book outside of the hotel while staying.
I know you talked about Musashi before but I was trying to find some background on him but couldn't. Any info from the last time you ate there?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by specboi
I was initially looking at the Peninsula, as I have stayed at a few of their properties and loved them all (Hong Kong, Beijing, Chicago). However, reading this and the old Tokyo hotel thread, it seems like the Peninsula is not a popular choice amongst you all.
Is it mostly be cause of the busy lobby? I personally am not bothered by a touristy lobby, however what is important to me is service and concierge. When I stayed at Peninsula Beijing (post renovation in 2017), I was greeted by name every time I walked by the lobby, and the every staff I interacted was super friendly. Not sure if I can expect the same from Peninsula Tokyo.
The lobby is awful, but concierge and service in general at Pen are terrible. For whatever reason, the culture just isn't there. Absolute no-go given your requirements.
specboi and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
The lobby is awful, but concierge and service in general at Pen are terrible. For whatever reason, the culture just isn't there. Absolute no-go given your requirements.
These two points are accurate. It is worth noting that the rooms are great. I love the walk-in dressing closets.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MattEvan
These two points are accurate. It is worth noting that the rooms are great. I love the walk-in dressing closets.
I wasn’t at all impressed with the Pen rooms—not liking most of the furnishings, decor, etc. It hasn’t aged well IMO. But rooms were nicely sized.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pen deluxe suite looked great until aman corner suite

pen chef concierge move to aman, still well regarded

pen went downhill here, while MO went uphill

pen brand standard for room 'features' is high
(but some - nails, makeup, etc are for women)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:45 pm

I forgot to add, when staying recently at FS Tokyo, the topic of the new FS (in Otemachi) came up - specifically an opening pre-Olympics.

Without saying anything else, the individual (management) essentially laughed at the idea.

So, we’ll see.

I know it is separate ownership groups, but I wonder why open one there, within almost shouting distance of the Marunouchi one, versus elsewhere (e.g. Aoyama, Shinjuku, etc)?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I forgot to add, when staying recently at FS Tokyo, the topic of the new FS (in Otemachi) came up - specifically an opening pre-Olympics.

Without saying anything else, the individual (management) essentially laughed at the idea.

So, we’ll see.

I know it is separate ownership groups, but I wonder why open one there, within almost shouting distance of the Marunouchi one, versus elsewhere (e.g. Aoyama, Shinjuku, etc)?
I know you like the current FS Tokyo...but I also know you’re aware that most in this forum don’t. That’s why!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"most" "don't" "like" = nope, but no longer perfect service record
some here big fans of few rooms (like UH HK for example)

FS does not care about location and may not keep current FS
(or they don't care about keeping it, but will if owner wants to)

FS chinzan-so also dropped FS and FS had no problem with it
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2019 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I know you like the current FS Tokyo...but I also know you’re aware that most in this forum don’t. That’s why!
Ha! Very fair point!

And, never fear, my dear - I’m already intending to try Prince Gallery next time. Your review really had me wanting to this time, but it was too close to Christmas (and we literally booked the night before we arrived), and only the base rooms were available - plus FHR had a 4th Night Free at the FS.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Ha! Very fair point!

And, never fear, my dear - I’m already intending to try Prince Gallery next time. Your review really had me wanting to this time, but it was too close to Christmas (and we literally booked the night before we arrived), and only the base rooms were available - plus FHR had a 4th Night Free at the FS.
FWIW, the PG base level rooms are still 42 sq m/452 sq ft. So still quite nice and spacious. The grand corner rooms are about 60 sq m/645 sq ft IRC and represent the better part of our Kioi Suite. We’d be OK with a base room here, to be honest. I hope you like it as much as we did!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 pm

FS Marunouchi has been extremely well regarded in this forum. Do not forget that it predates all newer hotels, except for the Park Hyatt that opened in 1994. It also is a boutique hotel, and its strength is and always has been service. Unless one is actually staying there and feeling the level of service, one may not understand. I’ll explain it this way - The Peninsula has great suites and a lot of amenities like its beautiful swimming pool, but very disappointing service and F&B overall. FS Marunouchi has no swimming pool, but there you can be absolutely assured of highly attentive, anticipatory service, privacy, and a perfect stay.

When it opened it was designed not to compete directly with larger hotels, but to serve a niche market. It had the highest room rates in the city, and was a boutique hotel that catered perfectly to its clientele of primarily business travelers who needed maximum efficiency, privacy, and peace and quiet.

The hotel landscape has since changed dramatically, and a new FS will compete more directly with Aman and other top hotels like Ritz-Carlton and MO. More focus on local wedding and staycation market.

FS Marunouchi may eventually be reflagged if owner does not want to continue management contract. However, I still love it and always have. I have many wonderful memories at FS Marunouchi.
Originally Posted by phant0m
I know you talked about Musashi before but I was trying to find some background on him but couldn't. Any info from the last time you ate there?
I am not sure I understand what info you are looking for. He is an outstanding sushi chef, and his previous restaurant where I was a regular catered to a niche clientele of local regulars. It was never a highly publicized restaurant, but was exceptional. Aman are very lucky to have him.
scented likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:46 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.