Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman.com/resorts/aman-tokyo/seasonal-promotions

peninsula.com/en/tokyo/special-offers/dining/autumn-mooncakes

peninsula.com/en/tokyo/special-offers/dining/peter-x-artisan-chefs-of-japan
Originally Posted by MattEvan
ROOM PACKAGE:

To fully enjoy this gastronomic experience, book the Peter x Artisan Chefs of Japan room package which includes the following benefits:
  • Accommodation for two in a Deluxe Room or Executive Suite
  • One dinner for two, valid for the night of the reservation
  • Breakfast for two
Room rates: JPY 148,000 for Deluxe Room / JPY 190,000 for Executive Suite

Validity: Valid for bookings starting from 22 May 2018, for stays on the following weekends: 31 August & 1 September, 28-29 September, 26-27 October, and 30 November & 1 December

Select stay dates in the window to check availability of this offer, or make a booking by contacting Room Reservations via email on [email protected] or by calling +81 3 6270 2288.

SEAT RESERVATION ONLY:

For seat reservation only, please contact Peter via email on [email protected] or by calling +81 3 6270 2763.

Price (valid for lunch and dinner):

JPY 47,000 per person / Seven courses inclusive of beverage pairing

* A special lunch price of JPY 35,000 inclusive of one welcome drink is also available

・Lunch at 12:00 pm on Saturdays / Dinner at 7:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.

Insane prices!
Thanks for posting. We will be in Tokyo for the DEN event. Mmmm...got to think of that price
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
148,000 for Deluxe Room
JPY 190,000 for Executive Suite

JPY 47,000 per person / Seven courses inclusive of beverage pairing
lunch JPY 35,000 inclusive of one welcome drink

Insane prices!
not for at least 1 of 3 restaurants >
65000 YEN TAKAZAWA EXPERIENCE MENU
40000 YEN FOOD ONLY MENU

and if one cant get reservation at restaurant(s)

when rooms expensive, dinner becomes 'free'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2018 at 9:26 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I really hate the Peninsula lobby, but I think that would be harsh to knock it off a 'luxury hotels' list because of its lobby - the hotel and its lobby was popular loooooooooooooooong before social media/Instagram etc. In fact, that's probably how it's always been (to an extent anyway) from its opening.
Busy lobbies do not appeal to me at all as a place to sit down, but as a staying guest I have no problem with that as I just walk through it. It is a beautiful lobby.

I was recently at another favorite hotel and saw visitors taking pictures constantly. While annoying at times, it’s a compliment to how beautiful the hotel is. With the rise in tourism from certain Asian markets who love to visit Thailand, it is inevitable that there will be a lot of picture taking.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:02 am

Musashi by Aman

I am very pleased to hear that my all time favorite sushi chef is joining Aman Tokyo. I was at his Aoyama restaurant all the time, and am thrilled that he will be at Aman. That completely seals the deal for me re Aman Tokyo!
FlyerEC and nmuva98 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Busy lobbies do not appeal to me at all as a place to sit down, but as a staying guest I have no problem with that as I just walk through it. It is a beautiful lobby.
It becomes a problem when function is negatively affected, and that's certainly the case at the Pen.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
The Palace is excellent and my choice in Tokyo. I fled there from the Peninsula some years ago and have not been disappointed. I don't really pay attention to the T&L rankings, but I have tried all of the main luxury choices in Tokyo and it remains the best for me.
KI-NRT, MikeFromTokyo and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Enjoyed my stay at the Palace Hotel - definitely think it belongs in the top tier of Tokyo lux properties and I'll look to stay again whenever I want a view of the Imperial Palace.

I booked the Chiyoda Suite via FHR. Perhaps ironically, the Chiyoda Suite is the only specialty suite on the top floor (23) despite being the cheapest of the property's five specialty suites. The check-in agent apologized for not being able to upgrade me and added $100 on-property credit (for a total of $200 after the initial $100 from FHR). I certainly didn't expect an upgrade so this was a nice bonus.

Room specifics: Spectacular view, loved the balcony. However, room is comparably small for the price point (e.g., the cheaper Deluxe Suite at the Pen is noticeably larger) and there isn't even a walk-in closet; I also wonder if some guests who desire huge bathrooms will find the bathroom too small. The lack of a working desk and accessible outlets near the main table in the living room were also negatives. I also would have preferred a larger couch in the living room. Nevertheless, I found the room very enjoyable and comfortable. I especially liked the izu stone in the shower and tub, which based on the website unfortunately appears to be unique to the Chiyoda Suite.

Housekeeping was solid (if I had to nitpick, there were some inconsistencies, but perhaps I notice only because of my many years experience working in the industry). Property offers an express three hour laundry service and express one hour pressing during the daytime. I used express laundry once and had it back within two hours.

F&B does seem strong at the property, as others have noted.
Wadakura: in particular, the Autumn seasonal special omi beef sukiyaki was spectacular
Sushi Kanesaka: Good, but fish quality a noticeable tier under my usual top edomae picks in Tokyo (also, rice is low vinegar and only ~avg al dente, which is not my preference, but that's a separate issue)
Crown: Probably tied for best breakfast buffet I've had, but service was iffy the one day I went
Lounge Bar Prive (6F): Great drinks in a very pleasant setting with view overlooking Imperial Palace
In-room dining: Also excellent, very expedient as well

One issue with F&B is Wadakura was booked full on two days for lunch. I suppose it becomes a problem when the F&B on-property is so strong that hotel guests can't even access it.

Concierge - seems motivated. I didn't test them with restaurant reservations, but I did have a bag get damaged during travel and inquired with the concierge as to repair options. Got a detailed, thorough e-mail within an hour providing several repair options, including Japanese branch of original manufacturer and nearby independent repair shops. In case I opted not to repair the bag, concierge offered to collect my bag and ship it home via EMS and bill the room.

Only major service deficiency: There don't seem to be enough doormen and they didn't seem motivated to help me into cabs (I'll notice at western hotels, e.g. Conrad, the doormen seem to be trained to assist guests into cabs and help direct the taxi driver and avoid language/communication issues). Having a doorman assist me was the exception rather than the rule and I don't think that should be a case at a luxury property, geared towards native speakers or not.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Palace Hotel is Ichiban!

Many thanks to the previous posters who have shared their experiences with luxury Tokyo properties. While everyone has their own experiences and preferences, I'll briefly summarize our great stay at the Palace Hotel.

Pre-Stay

The concierge staff was great, arranging for an excellent tour guide and limousine service. The limo was there as promised, clean as a whistle, and outfitted with water and cookies!

Arrival

We had an expectation that our limo would be greeted by someone who was aware of our reservation, and would expedite our formalities of checkin. We were greeted by a bellman with poor English skills, but after some conversation, we were whisked to the lounge for a welcome refreshment drink and checkin.

We arrived at the lounge at around 9:30, where we checked in, and were introduced to our guide. Although staying on an FHR reservation with Noon checkin provided based upon availability, we were able to be in our room by 10:15 AM, enough time for a quick refresh prior to our all-day tour. This was probably a YMMV situation, and it probably helped that the limo and tour guide were arranged by the hotel.

Room

We booked a Club Deluxe King with Palace View and lounge access, and were upgraded to the same category with Balcony. The room was in immaculate condition, with bountiful amenities including food (some cookies, rice crackers and all the bottled water that one could reasonably consume) and toiletries (too many to mention).

The bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning system worked well. The bathroom was fitted with a TV on the wall shared by the shower and bath. My wife loved the bath facilities, and her only complaint was that the bathroom TV's Ryder Cup broadcast was only in Japanese, while the room's larger TV had the broadcast in English. A very big First World Problem.

Since we did not spend much time in Tokyo, the balcony was not put to good use. We only went out late one night to get a great picture of Tokyo/Palace grounds all lit up. We probably would not pay for the balcony unless we were planning on relaxing in the room for a more lengthy stay.

F&B

The concierge had given us plenty of warning to make our dinner reservations far in advance. Unfortunately we ignored this advice, and our desire to dine at one of the hotel's Japanese restaurant, Wadakura, went unfulfilled. Our bad.

We had room service on our one-night stay, where we were able to order a very large and very expensive bento-box dinner from Wadakura. We enjoyed it a lot, and also enjoyed the buckwheat noodle soup so much that we ordered the soup again prior to our departure the next day.

Lounge

The lounge was extremely well-staffed with very accommodating personnel. The afternoon hors d'oeuvres were varied, but not that impressive. Not being a drinker, I can't comment on the selections, but my wife ( a red wine connoisseur) liked her wine, and her glass was continuously refilled by the lounge staff.

Breakfast had a pretty good variety, but it was not an impressive spread. There were options for made-to-order eggs, and also a Wadakura breakfast. I just had some prepared eggs and cereal. My wife had the Japanese breakfast, which she like very much. The salmon was very tasty.

The lounge was very nice, and worth it for the attentiveness of the desk and F&B personnel.

Checkout

We had an FHR late checkout, which we used until catching our 2:45 limousine bus to NRT. The hotel made the limobus arrangements for us, but neglected to ask us about our luggage situation. It was only five minutes until boarding when we were told that we had to pay extra to check in two rollaboards, and while it was not expensive, I think it was a lapse of service to not have inquired about this in advance. It made for a hectic last five minutes as we had to charge the extra fee and have the bell staff do the paperwork required to get the two extra luggage tags.

Summary

A wonderful stay. We will return.

One last thing: Within 16 hours of our departure, the Chief concierge emailed me to find out how our return-home trip went! Again, YMMV, but I spent some time with her and her staff and made a personal connection.
KI-NRT, MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 4, 2018 at 7:14 pm Reason: spelling error/grammar
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:01 pm

Does anyone have the email to Aman's concierge? Trying to snag a reservation for Jiro during my stay next year in late July.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
Does anyone have the email to Aman's concierge? Trying to snag a reservation for Jiro during my stay next year in late July.
Aman concierge (nor any other) has no ability to get Jiro, FWIW. You need a personal introduction to get a booking there.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Aman concierge (nor any other) has no ability to get Jiro, FWIW. You need a personal introduction to get a booking there.
Worth a try since they have one leg up on me by being able to speak Japanese lmao.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Not really. The guy sold his soul to the highest bidder a long time ago.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MO booked a 10 year old kid at jiro in 2015... which i think relates to Pickles post

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Aman booked Jiro for us last month. They say they’ve been quite successful getting these reservations.
tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k8129848-Sukiyabashi_Jiro_Which_hotel_helped_your_get_reser vations-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
2015...The Jiro restaurant website says that hotel concierge should make the reservation.

Almost all 5* hotels secure a few seats at Jiro every night these days.
missneverfull.com/food-reviews/tokyo-sukiyabashi-jiro-honten-ginza
2015...The best way is to ask your hotel concierge to book for you. I stayed with Conrad Tokyo, I told them the length of my stay in Tokyo, and ask them to book any day any meal as long as there's seat available. Besides Conrad, i have also heard good things happened at Capital, Hyatt, Pennisula, Mandarin Oriental.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 5, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:42 am

I went for the first time on a personal introduction, and subsequently have always been able to make my own reservations. It’s an exceptional experience and I have great respect for Sukiyabashi Jiro. They may come across as regimented and strict, but they do appreciate people who understand and appreciate them. And it’s for those people they really go the extra mile with their very best, also in terms of service and seating assignments. It’s a complete privilege to experience that.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:22 pm

Found reward availability to extend my stay in Tokyo next year. Now I'll have four days there which opens up my choices of hotels.

1. 1st night Andaz for 25k points, 3 nights Aman Tokyo with Virtuoso, $3270 with free breakfast and room upgrade.
2. 4 nights Aman Tokyo with Citi Prestige 4th night free, $3485, no breakfast or room upgrade.

I've stayed at the Andaz before and enjoyed it but the value of having an extra night at the Aman for just $215 more vs. 25k points at Andaz is hard to mentally pass. Also I get to avoid moving hotels. Is the Aman breakfast as amazing as people say as well as the room upgrade? I could get the breakfast rate for an extra $210, which comes out to $26.25 per person per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.