Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by porphyra
Pretty sure that is Ritz Carlton in #4 .
Correct, but I tend to still think of Marriott, Starwood, and RC being different chains, with Marriott and Starwood merged into Bonvoy but RC still somewhat different/separate due to the traditional (preMarriott) attitudes toward loyalty programs and especially lack of elite recognition and benefits.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:28 am

From that list, I'd swap the Grand Hyatt with the Shangri La, and I'd swap the classic but tired Imperial with the new Okura. Had a bad service experience at the Pen, and personally prefer the Conrad in Shiodome. And I'm sure many would disagree, but my top 10 would need to include the Tokyo Station hotel based solely on the absolutely impeccable service they offer.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What about PG? Should it be on the list? It has some fans here, although fewer (including me) since Bonvoy elites no longer get lounge access.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What about PG? Should it be on the list? It has some fans here, although fewer (including me) since Bonvoy elites no longer get lounge access.
To me, it shouldn't be. The cuts they've made are unbecoming of a hotel in the Luxury Forum.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
While I like a free ride as much as anybody, isn't the essence of a luxury property to serve those that can pay for the amenities?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 747FC
While I like a free ride as much as anybody, isn't the essence of a luxury property to serve those that can pay for the amenities?
Or is luxury an experience where you're not nickle and dimed? I dispute the idea it is only people who cannot afford something could be annoyed at a given charge. It's not 1910 and this is not Czarist Russia.

Anyways, this risks going off-thread. I've not stayed at the PG myself, but from what I've read I probably wouldn't put it in the same league as others here.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, it's not even about the Bonvoy cuts since I haven't been a Platinum for years. PG, to me, has always looked to be a step below the top tier Tokyo hotels in this forum. I've stayed there and never thought it to be the equal of the MO or RC.

It could anchor a very decent second tier with Grand Hyatt.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Or is luxury an experience where you're not nickle and dimed? I dispute the idea it is only people who cannot afford something could be annoyed at a given charge. It's not 1910 and this is not Czarist Russia.

Anyways, this risks going off-thread. I've not stayed at the PG myself, but from what I've read I probably wouldn't put it in the same league as others here.
All of the best club lounges in Tokyo (Shangri La, RC, etc.) don’t give it away free with status, as it allows them to keep it exclusive and provide a better experience with more expensive offerings as a result. As much as I liked getting free access to the PG lounge I don’t begrudge them now charging for it, and as I think I’ve posted before the experience is much better now with a lot less crowding. The issue is they haven’t actually changed the offerings since they stopped giving it away with status so other than the very nice champagne the offerings are generally a cut below the other top club lounges. This kind of applies to service at the PG as a whole, but the hard product is what makes it for me, Grand Deluxe Corner rooms and up have incredible interior design (the leather walls/ceilings, the shower with a huge window overlooking skyscrapers) that beats most of the other Tokyo luxury hotels hands down. I’m under no illusions that it’s Tokyo’s top luxury hotel but I still love it at the right price .

Oh and if Grand Hyatt is on the list, PG deserves to be too (although realistically I agree neither should be, Shangri La should be). I don’t particularly care for the Conrad for some reason. Too many issues in the past / too focused on bending over backwards for US guests demanding things to the detriment of others.
Dave510 likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 19, 2020 at 4:42 am Reason: consecutive posts by same membef
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
All of the best club lounges in Tokyo (Shangri La, RC, etc.) don’t give it away free with status, as it allows them to keep it exclusive and provide a better experience with more expensive offerings as a result. As much as I liked getting free access to the PG lounge I don’t begrudge them now charging for it, and as I think I’ve posted before the experience is much better now with a lot less crowding. The issue is they haven’t actually changed the offerings since they stopped giving it away with status so other than the very nice champagne the offerings are generally a cut below the other top club lounges. This kind of applies to service at the PG as a whole, but the hard product is what makes it for me, Grand Deluxe Corner rooms and up have incredible interior design (the leather walls/ceilings, the shower with a huge window overlooking skyscrapers) that beats most of the other Tokyo luxury hotels hands down. I’m under no illusions that it’s Tokyo’s top luxury hotel but I still love it at the right price .
PG was a great value with BRG. Seems they’ve mostly fixed their pricing though, as BRG opportunities are few and far between these days.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I've seen, FS Otemachi will be on that list very soon. Displacing Shangrila based on hardware and pool.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to see FS Otemachi isn't using that dreadful Lorenzo Villaresi for toiletries.

ray1022, FlyerEC, G-CIVC and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:44 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
First clients heading to FS Otemachi tomorrow.
Very excited to hear about it. Staying in the Panoramic Suite. Will report back!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo EDITION opened yesterday. Rooms seem rather underwhelming to me.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Okay, back with feedback from my 1st set of clients at FS Otemachi:

Visited during holiday weekend so it was very busy.
  • They were upgraded from Panoramic Suite to the Otemachi Suite (big jump), so they loved their suite but their Otemachi Suite only had a partial view of the palace/garden and most views were of the opposite direction. The Panoramic Suite will have a larger view of the palace/garden, I'm told.
  • Food was so-so.
  • Housekeeping and turndown were late/slow. I'm guessing it's due to both being new and nearly full (possibly underestimated the turn out and way understaffed).
  • GM met my clients a few times throughout the stay and clients were able to share some pros and cons with him. GM was very receptive to feedback and apologized for the slower than expected services.
  • Clients loved the hard product/suite/public space and struggled to decide if they liked the Otemachi Suite or Aman Corner Suite more. I think they preferred the views of Aman's Corner Suite. But they preferred the service at FS Otemachi MUCH more. I'm not surprised. Aman Tokyo is getting better and better with service but it's never been near the levels of an Amankila, Jiwo, Noi, (insert more examples).
  • Due to location of FS, it's dead on weekends but that's not breaking news or anything.
  • GM and friends there gave my clients a FS bag with some goodies due to the slower than expected housekeeping services. I thought it was a nice touch!
  • From an advisor perspective, I've so far really enjoyed working with the GM and my friends who actually transitioned to FS Otemachi from FS Kyoto (I've only had very good experiences with FS Kyoto). Pointing it out as in my experience, if the management is great to partner with then it's usually promising that the soft product will only get better. Completed one stay and booked two more so I'll come back later on with more datapoint and see how things stack up.

Overall, clients really enjoyed it, despite some hiccups. Will return. They visited Amanemu this weekend and was not too impressed but I digress.
I will get on a plane and head to check out FS Otemachi just as soon as they (Japan) will allow me to do so

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 9, 2020 at 8:41 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 4:36 pm

BESVISOR Thinking about the FS compared to the Aman:

I would have thought 100m2 would be big enough (Panorama Suite) and that the extra size of the Otemachi Suite wouldn't be worth the loss of the view. The palace/garden view (with the occasional glimpse of Mt Fuji) was a major advantage of the Aman. We are major fans of a great view.

It's disappointing to hear that the food was so-so. We thought the food at the Aman was excellent.

What was better about the service? We liked the service at the Aman, although thought it could be a bit over the top.

They both seem to have essentially the same location.

I'm wondering if you have any thought on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.