Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking as moderator, I am now going to move what used to be the above two posts (one of which is mine) about Sapporo hotels to the following thread where they properly belong:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704812&referrerid=14479
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Is my request too much

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding a request I have for the concierge team at Aman Tokyo.

​​​​​​Before I start, I have to say this team seems to be the weakest compared to the other two hotel concierge team I'm talking to right now. (Upperhouse and Amanoi). They seem to always misinterpret my emails or avoid answering my questions directly.

So during my trip to Tokyo, I would like to dine at a ramen restaurant that is located about 40min away from Aman Tokyo. The restaurant does not take reservations and runs on a ticket system, bascially you have to go around 7am to get a ticket and come back around 11-12pm to have your lunch. The actual time depends on how early you get there.

I have sent two emails to the concierge team to ask if a) we can make a detour there during my airport pick up to get a ticket, before heading to the hotel or b) to have the hotel grab the ticket for me at 7am and then when I get to the hotel I can grab the ticket and then head out to the restaurant. (My flight lands at 6:50am)

​​​​​​the first response from the hotel was an explanation of how the ticket system worked, which I already knew and was not my question. After responding and clarifying (or I thought I did) the response was 3 different options on how I can get yo the restaurant from the hotel, train, taxi or hotel car. Without mentioning at all if the hotel can help take care of this for me, or of the airport transfer can take a detour.

So is this a case of lack of English? Or is the way the hotel is polietly telling me no and that I have to go get the tickets myself? Is my request reasonable or am I asking for too much?

Thanks in advance for the help/feedback
​​​
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by specboi
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding a request I have for the concierge team at Aman Tokyo.

​​​​​​Before I start, I have to say this team seems to be the weakest compared to the other two hotel concierge team I'm talking to right now. (Upperhouse and Amanoi). They seem to always misinterpret my emails or avoid answering my questions directly.

So during my trip to Tokyo, I would like to dine at a ramen restaurant that is located about 40min away from Aman Tokyo. The restaurant does not take reservations and runs on a ticket system, bascially you have to go around 7am to get a ticket and come back around 11-12pm to have your lunch. The actual time depends on how early you get there.

I have sent two emails to the concierge team to ask if a) we can make a detour there during my airport pick up to get a ticket, before heading to the hotel or b) to have the hotel grab the ticket for me at 7am and then when I get to the hotel I can grab the ticket and then head out to the restaurant. (My flight lands at 6:50am)

​​​​​​the first response from the hotel was an explanation of how the ticket system worked, which I already knew and was not my question. After responding and clarifying (or I thought I did) the response was 3 different options on how I can get yo the restaurant from the hotel, train, taxi or hotel car. Without mentioning at all if the hotel can help take care of this for me, or of the airport transfer can take a detour.

So is this a case of lack of English? Or is the way the hotel is polietly telling me no and that I have to go get the tickets myself? Is my request reasonable or am I asking for too much?

​​​
The queue is sacred. Part of the reward and joy is in the effort required.

Tsuta is overrated, FYI. Go to Kahari honten instead. Much better ramen.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan

The queue is sacred. Part of the reward and joy is in the effort required.

Tsuta is overrated, FYI. Go to Kahari honten instead. Much better ramen.
I'm actually wanting to go to Tomita Ramen in Matsudo for their Tsukemen
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:58 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Hey guys,

​​​
I don't think it's an over ask at all. I would agree that The Upper House and Amanoi are better in service than Aman Tokyo but still, this isn't a big ask nor is it difficult.
When I've worked with Aman Tokyo's Concierge team, it's always been okay. Nothing fabulous (like MO Tokyo) but no huge issues either. You may have had some bad luck. If things doesn't get better in another exchange or so, let me know and I'll be happy to see if I can track one of the managers down to assist you on this.
specboi likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I don't think it's an over ask at all. I would agree that The Upper House and Amanoi are better in service than Aman Tokyo but still, this isn't a big ask nor is it difficult.
When I've worked with Aman Tokyo's Concierge team, it's always been okay. Nothing fabulous (like MO Tokyo) but no huge issues either. You may have had some bad luck. If things doesn't get better in another exchange or so, let me know and I'll be happy to see if I can track one of the managers down to assist you on this.
Thank you for the offer to help @BESVISOR, I actually got the email for the GM from the Amanoi team, however I am reluctant to escalate this to the GM just yet. Going to give concierge a chance to redeem themselves. If not I'll try to get a hold of the guest experience manager or something, not sure of something like this is worth involving the GM over. Or am I being too considerate here?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Or is the way the hotel is polietly telling me no and that I have to go get the tickets myself? Is my request reasonable or am I asking for too much?
​​​
They are being polite.

Now, if you asked the question: "Could you find me a driver I can hire to pick me up at the airport, wait for me at the Ramen place, and then bring me to the hotel?" I suspect you would get a "Yes."
janehoya likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you for the offer to help @BESVISOR, I actually got the email for the GM from the Amanoi team, however I am reluctant to escalate this to the GM just yet. Going to give concierge a chance to redeem themselves. If not I'll try to get a hold of the guest experience manager or something, not sure of something like this is worth involving the GM over. Or am I being too considerate here?
I wouldn't bother with the Aman Tokyo GM. You're likely to get a canned response or nothing at all.
specboi likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
They are being polite.

Now, if you asked the question: "Could you find me a driver I can hire to pick me up at the airport, wait for me at the Ramen place, and then bring me to the hotel?" I suspect you would get a "Yes."
Well that's basically what I asked, I said would the hotel arranged airport transfer be able to take me to the restaurant to obtain a ticket before taking me to the hotel, would this result in a surchage if so how much? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:21 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Nicholas at Amanoi is great!

Yeah, I think if the Aman Tokyo Concierge team still can't get things straighten out for you after another try, I don't think it would hurt to just email the GM. No matter who is working on it, it should matter to them. It's the same objective. Getting an answer (hopefully, yes) to the guest. But I think some members here even found the GM to be difficult to work with.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:23 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Aventine
I wouldn't bother with the Aman Tokyo GM. You're likely to get a canned response or nothing at all.
Haha! I was not planning to reach out to the GM. I'd probably go to my normal corporate Aman Tokyo contact to help, instead.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Originally Posted by 747FC
They are being polite.

Well that's basically what I asked, I said would the hotel arranged airport transfer be able to take me to the restaurant to obtain a ticket before taking me to the hotel, would this result in a surchage if so how much? Thanks
Originally Posted by Aventine
Have you tried Aman addressing it to AmanTokyo ‘ s Chief Concierge ? Yasu A is very responsive . Others in team may have language issues too , or ‘ new ‘ / ‘ cultural ‘ for this AMAN ?
In the Subject put “ Attention * Yasu “or similar !
Yes , as Aventine has said , do not bother with this GM ( some of newer ones are sadly this way ) as answers likely will not be forthcoming ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 20, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Have you tried Aman addressing it to AmanTokyo ‘ s Chief Concierge ? Yasu A is very responsive . Others in team may have language issues too , or ‘ new ‘ / ‘ cultural ‘ for this AMAN ?
Yes , as Aventine has said , do not bother with this GM ( some of newer ones are sadly this way ) as answers likely will not be forthcoming ..
I actually don't have the contact for the Chief Concierge, would you be able to PM that to me?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

In the Subject put “ Attention * Yasu “or similar !
I don't know why the VD regime appoints GMs that seem to have guest phobias? One of the former Aman hallmarks was the personal attention and treatment from the GMs.
FlyerEC, specboi and BESVISOR like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who is chef concierge? no longer well regarded ex peninsula tokyo chef concierge ?

some new external hire aman GMs were true aman, unfortunate some left already

also some new external hires were not hired as GM but promoted, and doing well

clearly tokyo (and to an extent puri) are larger than most aman, so one factor

there may also be long time aman veterans below the GM / top level

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.