Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'original' FS may not have signed new one
(though sharp did want disney for example)

maybe some amanjunkie musashi regulars
or maybe connection to aman toyko / building

clearly economy a factor >
chinzan-so dropped FS jan 1 2013
(seiyo ginza closed may 31 2013)
(at least 1 tokyo hotel sold in 2013)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I forgot to add, when staying recently at FS Tokyo, the topic of the new FS (in Otemachi) came up - specifically an opening pre-Olympics.

Without saying anything else, the individual (management) essentially laughed at the idea.

So, we’ll see.

I know it is separate ownership groups, but I wonder why open one there, within almost shouting distance of the Marunouchi one, versus elsewhere (e.g. Aoyama, Shinjuku, etc)?
Otemachi is the site of many tall, new skyscrapers and Mitsui probably owns land there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
'original' FS may not have signed new one
Chinzanso was very successful, and in that pre-Park Hyatt era was absolutely perfect for the Japanese local market and for high end leisure guests. It unfortunately got phased out by all of the new comptition in recent decades. Although it still has fans locally, and rightly so with its beautiful gardens, I suspect that it was difficult to justify an expensive management contract after most of the high spending clientele moved on to newer hotels.

Ironically to the casual observer Four Seasons may appear to be lagging behind in Tokyo, when in reality they were actually the most innovative and among the first to enter and modernize the Japanese market. I suspect the next FS will once again stand out as exceptional when it does open. If FS is putting up a Flag in the neighborhood of Aman Tokyo, it definitely will be pitched at the highest level.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The biggest problem FS Chinzan-so had was its distance from rail/subway transit, with one way requiring a steep uphill walk. By all accounts the Fukutoshin line opening rectified that probem so maybe in theory a new owner willing to invest could do something interesting. The gardens are excellent, only the New Otani matches that in Tokyo hotels as far as I know.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about 60 room gajoen ? SLH but not hyatt yet
04 70m2 luxury
28 80m2 exec + 1 japanese modern + 10 japanese
02 110m2 corner + 1 japanese modern
02 120m2 ambassador + 2 japanese
01 240m2 gajoen
counts add up to only 51
multiple restaurants but no facilities
@hailstorm post >
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post17525646

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:48 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what about 60 room gajoen ?
It's solid but not great. It's quite old, as well. Gajoen is often used by locals for weddings, FYI.

It's a very arduous uphill walk to Meguro Station, so not advised for people with physical disabilities or the elderly (unless you're fine taking taxis all the time.)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
So after extensive debate, I ended up going with Aman Tokyo for my 2 night stay in Tokyo
The rates ended up not being that much more than some of the other top hotels, and I really like the design/feel of the hard product.
I am just hoping that the concierge is able to help me get the reservations that I want, and hopefully the service has improved from the older reviews.

So far the trip will entail TUH HK ---> Amanoi ---> Aman Tokyo, the whole flight itinerary will take me from YYC --> YVR --> HKG --> CXR --> SGN --> HND; NRT --> LAX --> YYC so now I just need to add in an overnight stay in Vancouver/LA and the whole trip will be set.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by specboi
So after extensive debate, I ended up going with Aman Tokyo for my 2 night stay in Tokyo
The rates ended up not being that much more than some of the other top hotels, and I really like the design/feel of the hard product.
I am just hoping that the concierge is able to help me get the reservations that I want, and hopefully the service has improved from the older reviews.

So far the trip will entail TUH HK ---> Amanoi ---> Aman Tokyo, the whole flight itinerary will take me from YYC --> YVR --> HKG --> CXR --> SGN --> HND; NRT --> LAX --> YYC so now I just need to add in an overnight stay in Vancouver/LA and the whole trip will be set.
Spend time at the pool and spa facilities. Probably the best city pool ever.
FlyerEC, specboi and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:52 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
+1 It really is the best city pool! On one visit, I fell asleep at the pool, watching the sunset and almost missed my 8:30pm dinner reservation at Yoshitake
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
+1 It really is the best city pool! On one visit, I fell asleep at the pool, watching the sunset and almost missed my 8:30pm dinner reservation at Yoshitake
It's so humid (in a good sleepytime way) and quiet as a library! I could see that happening.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question as it is not 100% hotel related, so my apologies if this is not the right place.

So I am currently in contact with the Aman Tokyo Concierge to arrange the activities during my stay, and in reviewing the list of activities the hotel offered, the Toyosu Market Guided Tour with Sushi chef caught my eye, so basically it is the same as the old Tsukiji tour, but at the new Toyosu market with the chef/owner of Sushi Kokoro. The tour also includes a dinner at Sushi Kokoro later that evening.

However, I was also hoping to eat at Sushi Yoshitake again, but because I am only staying in Tokyo for 2 nights, and Sushi Yoshitake does not take reservations on the day of your arrival (even though I am arriving at 6am that day), I am stuck having to choose between the guided tour + Sushi Kokoro, or not having the guided tour and Sushi Yoshitake.

So I am wondering if anybody here have done the tour (or the old Tsukiji tour) and if the whole experience + dinner was worth it? How did the Sushi at Kokoro compare with other high end options such as Yoshitake, Sawada etc? I don't care about the Michelin stars, but just want top quality sushi while I am in Tokyo.

Thank you
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Can someone give me the contact and email address of Prince Gallery Kioicho Reservation dept? I am trying to get in touch with them or a booking change. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:12 am

Will be visiting Tokyo twice next month. First short stay will be at the Grand Hyatt which I haven’t been back for ages. Chose it mostly for its location but am curious how the hard product is these days. Second longer stay will be at the Prince Gallery per bhrubin’s recommendation. Their concierge has been painfully slow in responding though. Am tempted to go back to the RC Club level just for that reason alone but the rate is almost twice the PG
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Will be visiting Tokyo twice next month. First short stay will be at the Grand Hyatt which I haven’t been back for ages. Chose it mostly for its location but am curious how the hard product is these days. Second longer stay will be at the Prince Gallery per bhrubin’s recommendation. Their concierge has been painfully slow in responding though. Am tempted to go back to the RC Club level just for that reason alone but the rate is almost twice the PG
Curious how long it will take them to reply to you. It took them 6 days to reply to my request previously (2 simple restaurant bookings).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:35 am

Roughly 3-4 days for each response

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.