European Hotel Suggestion - R&R

European Hotel Suggestion - R&R

Old May 23, 18, 12:33 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 18 at 1:54 pm
Old May 23, 18, 2:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I stayed at Grand Hotel Tremezzo which I loved! Though I was a little disappointed that it's not on the lake like our other favourite Villa D'Este. Personally I don't think it's run down at all. The rooms are beautiful and the views are sensational. The private boat trip is a must.

I had lunch at Il Sereno, it's an absolutely beautiful property but as it's very modern it feels less in the spirit of the Italian Lakes. There is only one restaurant at Il Sereno where as Grand Hotel Tremezzo has a few options.

You can see some of my pictures here:
Falling in Love with Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Lake Como, Italy - SilverSpoon London

Il Sereno: A Contemporary Jewel in Lake Como - SilverSpoon London
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 23, 18, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
One option is Casadelmar around 45 minutes from Figari airport in Corsica. Modern design in an absolutely stunning location. Great pool, fine dining restaurant and lots of nearby dining options. They take you to the nearby beach club at La Plage Casadelmar by boat where you can have one of the nicest beach lunches ever. Very expensive but also very elegant and, I think, worth it. No private pools, but I don't think you would miss them.

Two of the suites at Masseria Torre Maizza in Puglia (an hour from Bari or Brindisi) have pools. Slightly quirky and I didn't love the golf course views, but otherwise a nice experience with a decent beach club nearby and a great in house restaurant.

Finally we stayed at Elies Resort in Sifnos last summer which has pool villas and is set on a great beach in a beautiful bay. You can walk to several excellent tavernas and it all feels very relaxed and still very Greek. Sifnos is a beautiful island which I would love to return to. It's a pain to reach by boat, but we flew LHR to Athens and then took a helicopter (2200EUR one way) and were in Sifnos within an hour of landing in Athens.
Old May 23, 18, 3:49 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Agreed, the cycling at Como would be very scary and would likely involve you transporting the bikes to much quieter areas.

Amanzoe is always beautiful...spectacular rooms, plunge pools, views and such a lovely quiet area where you could cycle, enjoy the beach, do low key excursions like honey farm visit, boat picnics, etc. The Greek food at the resort is great and you can take the boat/ferry to restaurants on the island of Spetses. It’s a far different scene to the crowded summers on Como.
Old May 23, 18, 9:45 am

I would be careful about which rooms you choose at the Serbelloni - we went and had a fairly restricted room choice but the room was far from luxury - it felt very dated / European grand hotel slightly gone to seed. It definitely can't compare to the quality of rooms somewhere like Amanzoe. We may have been unlucky but I suspect the dated feel might run through all the rooms. The location is fabulous though and it isn't much more than an hour from Linate airport.
Old May 23, 18, 10:16 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
iI Sereno is stunning compare to the alternatives but of course, only if you enjoy a contemporary design/decor. Management there has also been good to work with..very responsive and seem to care about guest experience. I also like that there are only 30 suites, which is a good starting point for great service. Booked a client staying (also wanting a nearby weekend from Zurich) on the heels of MacMyDay so will have additional data-points, hopefully, both reviews will be positive.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 23, 18, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller View Post
European grand hotel slightly gone to seed. It definitely can't compare to the quality of rooms somewhere like Amanzoe.
Soul and character versus sterile efficiency? It's a hard choice these days.

BTW, if I were the thread starter, DC777Fan, I might look at La Residence de la Pinede in St Tropez - by the beach, they speak French and it has a ***Michelin nosherie.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 23, 18 at 1:23 pm
Old May 23, 18, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Can anyone who has been to Il Sereno confirm they actually HAVE a fitness center with cardio machines? It's listed on Virtuoso, Booking.com, etc as a "checklist item" but I can't seem to find an actual photograph of it which is unusual for most properties (even the guest photos in Tripadvisor)...
Old May 24, 18, 5:17 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
Can anyone who has been to Il Sereno confirm they actually HAVE a fitness center with cardio machines? It's listed on Virtuoso, Booking.com, etc as a "checklist item" but I can't seem to find an actual photograph of it which is unusual for most properties (even the guest photos in Tripadvisor)...
They have 2 cardio machines: a treadmill and an elliptical machine. Access is included in the rate, of course
Old May 24, 18, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
They have 2 cardio machines: a treadmill and an elliptical machine. Access is included in the rate, of course
Thank you! I think we've settled on this property! Citi 4th night free can alllllllmost make up the difference to my goal budget of $1k/nt and the property looks gorgeous -- thanks much to all for the recommendations and BESVISOR in particular for this one.
Old May 24, 18, 11:30 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
Thank you! I think we've settled on this property! Citi 4th night free can alllllllmost make up the difference to my goal budget of $1k/nt and the property looks gorgeous -- thanks much to all for the recommendations and BESVISOR in particular for this one.
Pleasure, enjoy

Search this Thread