3) Aman Venice - residential feeling, may be my favorite city hotel worldwide
4) Amankila - great stay overall
5) Amanzoé - perfect hard product
6) Amanjena - nice for a weekend but not that special
7) Aman Sveti Stefan - the Sveti Stefan Suite was nice but I would not go back
8) Amanpulo - inconsistent service especially if you are not a villa guest
Fliar and bhrubin like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
I have no real list...I wanted to say I enjoy this thread (especially when folks explain why they rank as they do) as it gives me a little more insight of which ones to put on my list...I personally have only been to two:

Amanbagh: great hard product and service...but the location for me was not that trilling (rural...I've seen this many times in Asia) as other places that we visited on the same trip (eg Lake Palace, oberoi both in Udairpur).
Amanyara: good hard product, underwhelmed service, food and beach. Not go back.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Best to worst:
Aman Sveti Stefan - a location that is entirely unique. So much space and varied dining options
Amanoi - best hard product, amazing views, unique location
Given that I'll be staying at SS and Noi over he next few months (my first ever Aman stays!), I sincerely hope your list is the definitive one
Fliar likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:25 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Given that I'll be staying at SS and Noi over he next few months (my first ever Aman stays!), I sincerely hope your list is the definitive one
You'll have a great time at Noi! I also share the point of view that Amanoi was one of my favorite Aman stays in terms of hard product. GM-Nicolas is also very hands on and trying to elevate the service since he came on.

Enjoy!
Jermyn likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Hmmm. I count 11 total stays. My 'Puri stay was 17 years ago and 'Yara well over 10 years ago. It is much easier to start at the bottom, with ASP anchoring my list by a *wide* margin. My first Aman was 'Gani.

Hotel Bora Bora (2x) -- Easily my favorite. I cried when the news broke it was closing. Beach units were horribly awkward and small, but everything else just perfect. 2nd best beach/ocean in the world.
Amanpulo -- Loved it. This place is hard to criticize. I don't think it can be done better. Interacting with the tocay gecko that owned our unit remains an all-time vacation highlight.
Amanpuri --Liked 'Puri, although service at restaurants was glacial. It is hard to believe how revolutionary this resort was when it opened. Rooms 103/105 might be best in world.
Amangiri -- Broken AC during July. Weak food and only adequate beverage. The stunning location makes up for everything. Rooms should have been raised 10ft to avoid the privacy issues. American Aman locations should be judged differently.
Amangani (2x) -- Very nice. Terrific views from upper floor. Friendly, but marginally competent staff. Food consistently poor. Awkward for skiing, but I don't really ski.
Amanyara -- Odd layout with rooms situated around mosquito bogs rather than the ocean. Service, if provided by locals was either hostile or non-existent. Food was repetitive and weak. The ocean is nice, but far from the rooms. Large flies shared my meals. GM recruited heavily from 'Pulo to staff the place which helped. *Very* isolated.
Aman Tokyo -- I think I understand why others like this place, but the confusing shoe policy alone means I will never return. I didn't like it and there are many good options in Tokyo. I'm still not convinced that 'Aman' can be done in a big city. I have low expectations for NYC .... NYC is gonna be hard ...
Summer Palace (2x) -- Really, really puzzling. This place is more a museum than a hotel. Dark, damp rooms without desks. No English whatsoever in any staff member below GM. Service issues everywhere. F&B, at best, adequate and nowhere near good. Just an odd, awkward hotel.
Fliar, nmuva98 and Pausanias like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn
I hope so for you too Given how different the rankings have been it's clearly such a subjective question. For me location and views are always the most important factors. Enjoy!
Jermyn likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:31 am

Unlike most others here, I found Amanjiwo to be a little disappointing. Maybe it was the time of year or the air-con (partial lack of) or the lack of a GM at that particular time. We got moved twice (with an upgrade) - in an attempt to solve the problem (they were not particularly busy), although they had visitors galore every morning after the visitors visited Borobodur, which has become far too busy to be enjoyable.
Amanjiwo is blessed with a spectacular location, but the service was sketchy.
We are so far only dipping our toe into the Aman experience so come regrettably late to Amans, but of the ones we have so far visited Amanoi really stands out. We've been three times so far and will return, likely to be in 2020.
Very recommendable!
Given how different the rankings have been it's clearly such a subjective question.
Londonjetsetter likes this.

Last edited by spylaw4; May 26, 2018 at 2:43 am
Old May 26, 2018, 8:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Rate your favourite Amans ?
Does it mean I do not rate some ?

Will get round to it .. just realised I left Jiwo out , but her placing is probably somewhere in the middle , not one of the top ones .

Then since I started when there was only Puri in ‘ 89 and with numerous return stays , it gets rather tricky .. halcyon days some AMANjunkies will recall ..
Old May 26, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Hard to rate but here is my attempt - I think after the first 4 or 5 it gets really hard. Room stayed in also made a huge difference in my selection!

Amanjiwo - we had a magical time there - only two other couples were there and it was just spectacular - one of my most memorable Hotel experiences
Amankora - another fabulous experience
Amanpulo
Hotel Bora Bora - so sad it is gone
Amankila
Amandari
Amansara
Amanwana
Amantaka
Amanpuri
Amantaka
Aman - I - Kas
Aman Tokyo
Amanusa - I guess its now only villas
Amanjena
Amangalle
Aman Sveti Stefan
Amanwella
Amanruya
Aman Le Melezin - quite a long time ago so I assume it has improved a lot!

I guess given I live in California I have to make it to some of the US properties. I have had dinner at Amangani in Jackson Hole but never stayed as always with friends in home for skiing! Also hope to visit Amanoi in the not too distant future.
Londonjetsetter likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Larkin
Hard to rate but here is my attempt - I think after the first 4 or 5 it gets really hard. Room stayed in also made a huge difference in my selection!
I agree that the room stayed in definitely plays a role! A pool suite at one location is going to place it above another resort when staying in an entry level room almost by default
Old May 27, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by spylaw4
I found Amanjiwo to be a little disappointing . . they had visitors galore every morning after the visitors visited Borobodur, which has become far too busy to be enjoyable.
Do you mean day-trippers invaded Amanjiwo or are you talking of hotel guests? I'm so glad to have seen these amazing archaeological sites before the days of mass tourism.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:28 am

We have stayed in almost all of them but it has been over a twenty year period. Our lives have changed over time as have the Amans and in many cases there was something that made it magical but might no be the normal experience then again that is aman for you

Amanpuri. It was the first year we were married. Trip was a huge splurge we were upgraded to a huge villa magical nights swimming in the infinity pool overlooking the sea dinner served in our dining pavilion. But this was twenty years ago and we haven’t gone back

bora bora. It was our honeymoon ......

kila. We have been three times just something so peaceful upgrade to the kila suite two of thre visits

pulo. Renewed our vows on the beach. Love the beach dinners Love the golf carts and hidden spots

amanjena. Went the first year in opened and again in 2012. Love the fireplaces

noi. If only it was easier to get to

jiwo. I was sick so might have rated higher had I felt better

giri. If not comparing to others might have liked better

zoe. Not sure why I have never warned up more to this one

nusa nice but no magic

dari. Other than the spa and food I pretty much hated it

All the rest sort of get lumped together

Fliar likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by spylaw4
Unlike most others here, I found Amanjiwo to be a little disappointing. Maybe it was the time of year or the air-con (partial lack of) or the lack of a GM at that particular time. We got moved twice (with an upgrade) - in an attempt to solve the problem (they were not particularly busy), although they had visitors galore every morning after the visitors visited Borobodur, which has become far too busy to be enjoyable.
Amanjiwo is blessed with a spectacular location, but the service was sketchy.
We are so far only dipping our toe into the Aman experience so come regrettably late to Amans, but of the ones we have so far visited Amanoi really stands out. We've been three times so far and will return, likely to be in 2020.
Very recommendable!
It's unfortunate you had such a bad experience at Jiwo. If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar problem with aircon. I had a Borobudur view suite and the aircon was barely functioning. They spent 1 day trying to fix it with no luck. The evening of the 2nd day I was climbing Mt Merapi, so needed to sleep all afternoon so complained again. Expected a room switch and maybe an upgrade to a pool suite. Instead, they gave us the Dalem Jiwo suite for the remainder of our stay (4 out of 7 nights). Didn't get the butler or access to the 2nd bedroom, but the upgrade completely changed the stay. And all this happened when the GM wasn't even on property.

Jiwo had flawless service with one exception, when you leave the Dalem Jiwo suite they pick you up in a car at the suite instead of going back to the main entrance. They forgot the luggage tags and were a bit slow with the bags. But that was only my 2nd Aman (and my 1st, Pulo, also forgot luggage tags and had a pretty unspectacular departure) so I didn't know any better!
Old May 30, 2018, 1:14 pm

Doesn't make me feel better, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one! Seems like those who were lucky enough to book/stay in the "Suite" were indeed the fortunate ones.

It was the day trippers that "invaded" which is possibly a little strong a word. Generally for lunch and a look round after Borobodur (which I did many years ago)!
Old May 30, 2018, 2:00 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nmuva98

Jiwo had flawless service with one exception, when you leave the Dalem Jiwo suite they pick you up in a car at the suite instead of going back to the main entrance. They forgot the luggage tags and were a bit slow with the bags. But that was only my 2nd Aman (and my 1st, Pulo, also forgot luggage tags and had a pretty unspectacular departure) so I didn't know any better!
Its odd that while the luggage tags are an Aman signature thing, they seem to have issues with it a lot. At Kila, we received tags with names that are not ours (I guess better than the wrong bags but the right tags )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.