Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Eden Roc cap cana (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)

Eden Roc cap cana (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)

Reply

Old May 15, 18, 6:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Eden Roc cap cana (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)

anyone been recently? not much comes up on a forum search, nothing in the last 2 years. We just booked a few nights in july. We booked the base junior suite and hopefully will get a fhr upgrade. Are the beachfront suites a better option? We didn't book one since they don't have pools, but are they that much better to make up for not having your own pool? i know its a bit of a distance to the beach, but i assume with a golf cart it's not that bad.
geoffk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 19, 6:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by geoffk View Post
anyone been recently? not much comes up on a forum search, nothing in the last 2 years. We just booked a few nights in july. We booked the base junior suite and hopefully will get a fhr upgrade. Are the beachfront suites a better option? We didn't book one since they don't have pools, but are they that much better to make up for not having your own pool? i know its a bit of a distance to the beach, but i assume with a golf cart it's not that bad.
geofffk, Did you go? How was?
damaxer91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:42 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
don't think i would go back.. huge sargassum seaweed problem they only mentioned a day or 2 before we arrived made the beach totally unusable. we had the lux 1 bedroom suite which wasn't bad but had bug issues with the bed on our last night and had to demand a new room for the night which they accommodated. food wasn't bad but one night one of the restaurants was closed with no notice because they changed the work schedule and some of the workers had gone home and they couldn't contact them to come back (according to the concierge) but it was pretty dead while we were there so it could have just been a cost savings measure.
Sushi was horrible as if it was made by someone who never had seen real sushi before, but the more local type items were quite good. the fine dining restaurant was a bit underwhelming. the sommelier there introduced himself as "robert mondavi" which i thought was pretty funny, i almost told him my name was Dominic Perignon but i don't think my wife would have found that funny...

The golf course looked well maintained but we didn't golf while we were there. outside eden roc there wasn't much going on in the cap cana community, the marina was totally dead except for a couple small shops. The zipline at the nature park was pretty fun.

from what i read now, the seaweed thing is pretty common so to me it just wouldn't be worth the risk which other options out there. they seem to down play it a lot, every day it was hopefully tomorrow we can open the beach when in retrospect there was absolutely no way that was going to happen and i'm sure they knew that.
geoffk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 533
Anyone know who owns this hotel? Having stayed here and at the Eden in Antibes and St. B's its hard for me to believe they are related. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Cap Cana Eden Roc though!
Quinlanty is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:17 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
Anyone know who owns this hotel? Having stayed here and at the Eden in Antibes and St. B's its hard for me to believe they are related. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Cap Cana Eden Roc though!
Nothing to do with the other Eden Roc. Cap Cana is owned & managed by Solaya Hotes & Resorts.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:23 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Nothing to do with the other Eden Roc. Cap Cana is owned & managed by Solaya Hotes & Resorts.
Thats what I thought. Any idea if they license the name, or its just a coincidence? (And Miami?) IIRC, Roc in Antibes and Rock in St B's are owned by different people, but both managed by Oeteker. And you definitely see lots of cross over with people you bump into/befriend from summers in Antibes and Christmas. Totally different group of people in Cap Cana imho
Quinlanty is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 9:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
Thats what I thought. Any idea if they license the name, or its just a coincidence? (And Miami?) IIRC, Roc in Antibes and Rock in St B's are owned by different people, but both managed by Oeteker. And you definitely see lots of cross over with people you bump into/befriend from summers in Antibes and Christmas. Totally different group of people in Cap Cana imho
No, just a conincidence - Roc is French for rock. Eden - as in 'garden of'. All words in the public domain.
Quinlanty likes this.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 8:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 34
I just wanted to echo the sentiment. Meh I donít really want to go back. Many people smoking at breakfast, my room smelled terribly of smoke. Complained for 2 days before they moved us. Televisions didnít work....I had 2 of my kids with me and they thought it was fantastic for whatever thatís worth. Loved the golf cart you could drive to the zip line. I liked the suite we had (but for the revolting smell).
NYCMom is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread