Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Last minute SE Asian luxury trip - where to go/stay?

Old May 13, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist

I've been researching for the past several hours, but I'm in a time crunch, so I thought I would ask for advice from recent travels. Here's the situation:

Romantic trip after a business trip. The business meeting is at Amanpuri, so we will spend the first few days there. My partner will have been in Phuket for over 10 days, so he will be ready for something new. We have about 10 days to travel after that and are open to destination, but would like to not spend a lot of those days on airplanes.

Emphasis on relaxation, luxury (doesn't have to be over the top, but generally FS or Aman quality), and if there is good surfing that would be a huge plus. We want culture and interesting things to do, but will shy away from typical tourist stuff. We've both seen the major cities temples, buddhas, etc.

Original plan was to move to Nihiwatu (Nihisumba) after Phuket, but they only have 3 days available, and it is too much travel for that few days.

We are open to other countries.

Travel dates are May 20-June 2nd.

All suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old May 18, 2018, 2:16 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by sscott77
I've been researching for the past several hours, but I'm in a time crunch, so I thought I would ask for advice from recent travels. Here's the situation:

Romantic trip after a business trip. The business meeting is at Amanpuri, so we will spend the first few days there. My partner will have been in Phuket for over 10 days, so he will be ready for something new. We have about 10 days to travel after that and are open to destination, but would like to not spend a lot of those days on airplanes.

Emphasis on relaxation, luxury (doesn't have to be over the top, but generally FS or Aman quality), and if there is good surfing that would be a huge plus. We want culture and interesting things to do, but will shy away from typical tourist stuff. We've both seen the major cities temples, buddhas, etc.

Original plan was to move to Nihiwatu (Nihisumba) after Phuket, but they only have 3 days available, and it is too much travel for that few days.

We are open to other countries.

Travel dates are May 20-June 2nd.

All suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Sounds like an awesome problem to have

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head....

Easy commute (~4 hours) - Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangles...all my clients rave about how incredible and unique this FS property is. An intimate and relaxing glamping experience..downside: definitely no surfing

Something a bit further (~7 hours) - What about Amans in Indonesia: Kila, Dari, Jiwo, and Wana, even. Great rates and packages during this period as well.

Even further/left field - Go to FS Tented Camp, 4 nights then to Amanfayun in Hangzhou for 4 nights (let Aman serve you breakfast onboard their wooden boat while touring the West Lake before it gets crowded and go tour the tea fields as well...there are promotions at the moment) afterwards, return to Fayun to hideout and relax.
Then cap it off with 2 nights at the Peninsula Shanghai (though, you may have already been to) before hopping into their Rolls Royce to head for United non-stop back to SFO. I didn't suggest Amanyangyun to be paired with Amanfayun as I've just had clients return from it and it wasn't polished enough, yet. Not worth the money.

I think the above will provide culture, interesting activities and relaxation...again, there are probably more interesting options but this is just a quick stab at it.

Suggesting this as it's actually what I'm doing in July (to some degree)...we were planning to return to Indonesia Amans but ultimately decided to go visit Amanfayun instead, something new and different.

Also, Amanoi is very relaxing and a good option. It has stunning pavilions and villas...break it up with a couple nights in Ho Chi Minh City.

Hope you guys have a blast!!! Safe travels.

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 18, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.