Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Spectacular, Superb Luxury (Ritz-Carlton, Bali)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

The Ritz-Carlton, Bali

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Ritz-Carlton, Bali

Jalan Raya Nusa Dua Lot #3 Sawangan Nusa Dua, ID 80363

Spectacular, Superb Luxury (34 Photos)

The Ritz-Carlton, Bali

One of our annual vacations is always to Thailand and this time we decided to try Bali. Australians will generally visit Thailand or Bali, but never both.

We specifically wanted a private villa with pool, separate living and bedroom as well as Ocean views. The properties we shortlisted were the St Regis, Ritz Carlton and Amankila and we eventually decided on the Ritz. It was incrediby difficult to find any reviews of these rooms online.

We really didn't know what to expect of Bali. We wanted a hotel that provided rest and relaxation and that didn't attract the 'bogan' crowd.

I booked through my Virtuoso travel agent (who had better prices than the hotel website direct, strangely) and we arranged Meet & Assist at DPS. We specifically requested a Mercedes transfer and the hotel secured an E Class and it took no more than 10 mins from landing to immigration to being in the hotel limo.

Check In

We arrived at the hotel around 30 mins from the airport. We were greeted by Julia the Executive Manager of Rooms and she set the tone for the stay. The first impression of any hotel is check in and we receieved the warmest welcome and spoke to Juliana for at least 30 mins about our plans. She was warm and hospitable and we knew at that moment it was going to be a great stay.

We were introduced to our Butler Padme who was exceptional and were taken to the room for in villa check in. Unlike other hotels you don't have a dedicated Butler for just your villa, rather there are a team of Butlers. We actually preferred this as when we have had Butlers whose shift rotates around when we wake and sleep we felt extremely guilty.

Letter2.JPG

Letter1.jpg

Lobbyview.JPG

2_Lobby2.JPG

Room

We specifically booked The Cliff Villa and later discovered there are four in total. I had reached our to Julia with our specific preferences and she booked the best option.

The Cliff Villas are located at the top of the resort beside reception at slightly varying heights. The rest of the rooms and villas are located at the bottom of the cliff on the Beach level meaning that we never encountered other guests other than walking through the lobby or while in the club lounge.

We walked into the villa and even in darkness it was breathtaking. The interior is designed with wood and soft palette furnishings and everything felt new. The interior floorspace was incredible with a living and dining room, full kitchen with Butler's entrance, two full bathrooms with showers and Totos and a bedroom featuring the largest bed we have ever slept in. It also has the distinction of being the most comfortable bed of any hotel I have experienced.

Unadvertised the mini bar fridge items and snacks (including the local beer) are all complimentary. I wasn't sure if this was for villa guests or Virtuoso, but it put this property on par with the previous offerings of the FS Nam Hai which they have since removed.

All of the tech was moden including electric blinds, lights that automatically switched on in the bathroom at night as well as the Totos that automatically open and close. Bathroom amenities were full size Asprey in both bathrooms and at the outdoor shower.

The next morning I opened the blinds to see just how huge the pool was and the Ocean views from the room. The lawn is expansive and our outdoor area was completely private.
Room1.JPG

Front3.JPG

Front2.JPG

Foyer.JPG

2_Bar.JPG

1_Kitchen.JPG

Kitchen3.JPG

1_Kitchen2.JPG

2_Living.JPG

2_Living2.JPG

1_Bedroom.JPG

Bedroom2.JPG

Bathroom1.JPG

Bathroom3.JPG

Bathroom5.JPG

Bathroom4.JPG

OutdoorShower.JPG

Pool2.JPG

Pool5.JPG

Pool6.JPG

1_View.JPG

Pool3.JPG

Pool4.JPG

Elephant.JPG

Service

In addition to the stunning villa, what struck us was the level of exceptional service we receieved. When we asked for extra bottles they filled up the full size fridge with a box of bottled water. They also noticed that we only drank the Soda Water, 7 Up and Iced Coffee in the bar fridge and provided us with several extra of those each day.

We mentioned at check in that we prefer being referred to by our first names and every staff member we countered referred to us as "Mr Firstname and Mr Firstname." It was clear everyone knew who we were and made us feel very welcomed.

We met the GM Karim on his first day back and he checked on us every day. We discussed some of the local attractions we wanted to see and he said our Butler would accompany us which was unexpected but highly valued. He also said they had an award winning spa and we mentioned that we prefer male therapists as a preference and they didn't have any. Without blinking he said "I can arrange that for you." The next day he informed us that he had arranged two male therapists and gave us options of dates. I have never had a hotel go to that length to please us.

On Monday nights the hotel has a BBQ night at the Beach Restaurant Breezes. We asked to reserve a table and when we arrived we realised we were given the best, private dining table which was spectacular during Sunset.

31531644_10100317452501631_5104543321053

On our final night we returned for Sheesha (Hookah) and they offered us the same table.

Dining

RCs never comp club access for elites or the highest room bookings and we had asked for it to be added in advance. The hotel offers a reduced rate for RC members from USD $78 to $58pp. The hotel was generous enough to let us choose our start and finish dates. Given that we arrived to the hotel at 9PM we chose to start it on the next day.

The Club Lounge is located in its own villa half way between the bottom of the lobby and the Beach. It has its own pool that we never really saw used. It is staffed by the most delightful and sincere staff who remembered all of our preferences from coffees to cocktails.

RC club lounges have always been exceptional offering breakfast, light lunch, afternoon tea, light dinner and desserts. This lounge offers Red Wine, White Wine and Beer all day with special cocktails and spirits from 5-8PM with after dinner liquor from 8:30PM-10PM.

To say the food was in abundance would be an understatement. In the club lounge was at least 2 Chefs at any one time who would make certain items to order. Breakfats options included a Lobster Scrambled Eggs.

Every food presentation had a full buffet as well as 4 hot items. Lunch onwards also had canapes.

On our first day we did breakfast, lunch and dinner and then decided to skip lunch so we could have more pool time. The quality of the food was exceptional including the Indonesian specialities, Japanese Sushi and Sashimi and Seafood.

The lounge staff can also act as reception offering check in and check out and also act as concirge for club guests.

ClubLoungefront.JPG

ClubLoungeMain.JPG

CLubLoungeMenu2.JPG

ClubLoungeMenu3.JPG

ClubLoungeMenu.JPG

The hotels is 70 hectarres, but despite this we walked everywhere. We didn't feel the need for a Buggy during the stay, although they were constantly offered.

Nusa Dua appears to be where the luxury hotels in Bali are. We had planned to visit Tanah Lot and Uluwatu Temple but ended up skipping these because we didn't want to spend hours in a car or surrounded by throngs of tourists.

Around 5 mins down the road from the hotel is a tourism, entertainment and dining complex. Within it is The Bali Collection (a series of uninspiring stores), an incredible art gallery called the Pasifika Museum that was empty, a Blow Hole on the water as well as the Dev Dan Theatre where a cultural show that is best described as a megamix of singing, dancing and acting showcasing different Indonesian cultures. We didn't expect much but it was very well produced and showcased some of the best aeriel work I have ever seen.

The beach, I understand, is one of the better in Bali and the water is very clean. We only left the hotel twice by choice. When we return we will also visit Ubud, but arrange a helicopter transfer. The RC said they can organise a helicopter from the Hilton's helipad next door.

Overall

Overall, this was the best stay we have ever had. Everything from the villa, club lounge, staff, service and dining were exceptional. I have always thought the test of a good GM is one who is visible and interacts with guests and Karim has clearly built a great team at the RC Bali. Both he and Juliana checked in on us daily and wished us goodbye with the fondest of farewells. I look forward to the day Juliana is GM of a hotel, she is a star.

The hotel exceed all of our expectations and was a perfect 10 days of rest and relaxation. We know that we were especially looked after by senior management so that may have made a difference as did booking via Virtuoso.

The clientle of the hotel are primarily Japanese couples so for those not wanting to be impacted by bogan tourists, this is the place.

It was difficult finding any reviews of the Cliff Villas at the RC and I hope my detailed review helps provide useful information for others considering Bali. They are the most private on the property and well worth the money.

Spectacular, Superb Luxury

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, Bali?

No, thank you.
Yes
SanDiego1K and BOStonTravels like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:53 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks for the wonderful review! Be great to post pics if you have them for reference!
Old May 12, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Thanks for the wonderful review! Be great to post pics if you have them for reference!
Just added. Couldn't do it in Safari
Old May 12, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Location Nusa Dua appears to be where the luxury hotels in Bali are.

I don't think many on this Forum would agree with you here. Quite the opposite in fact. But we appreciate the effort you put into that post.
nmuva98 and bhrubin like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you very much for the review.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this review.
May consider it for when I'm next in Bali, though I previously had Amankila in mind.
The Sky Villa here looks interesting.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I don't think many on this Forum would agree with you here. Quite the opposite in fact.
Uluwatu perhaps ?
I'm a fan of the Alila there.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I don't think many on this Forum would agree with you here. Quite the opposite in fact. But we appreciate the effort you put into that post.
+1

Though there are a couple to be considered if one does a bit of ‘“ snooping “
Missing Amanusa & her Beach Club ; but with the expansion of SLA , etc is really untenable going forward .
That said ..
We are looking forward to seeing the ‘ redevelopment ‘ of Adrian Zecha ‘ s former Nusa Villa while staying at a Nusa Villa after Kila next month .

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 12, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nizar
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this review.
May consider it for when I'm next in Bali, though I previously had Amankila in mind.
The Sky Villa here looks interesting.
With Virtuoso the hotel would have upgraded us to the Cliff Villa, but I asked my TA to instruct them to keep the room type booked. We didn't ask to see the Sky Villas as they are significantly smaller, thought they have better views.

Other guests can see into the Sky Villa pools from the beach and pools.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:34 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Thanks for the review!

The RC is Bali is surprisingly good...just had clients stay at the Mandapa prior to moving to Amandari, Amankila then finish at Alila Villa Uluwatu...I think hey liked the Mandapa a lot as well.
While I personally love Amankila the most within this area, I think some people who aren't Amanjunkies may much prefer the new Ritz Carlton properties. But, there are so many great options in Bali, really hard to go wrong for the most part.

While overall, I really love Four Seasons and prefer it much more over RC, but in Bali, I'd avoid both of the FS properties. The RC is much better.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Thanks for the review!

The RC is Bali is surprisingly good...just had clients stay at the Mandapa prior to moving to Amandari, Amankila then finish at Alila Villa Uluwatu...I think hey liked the Mandapa a lot as well.
While I personally love Amankila the most within this area, I think some people who aren't Amanjunkies may much prefer the new Ritz Carlton properties. But, there are so many great options in Bali, really hard to go wrong for the most part.

While overall, I really love Four Seasons and prefer it much more over RC, but in Bali, I'd avoid both of the FS properties. The RC is much better.
The dealbreaker with Aman, Bulgari etc etc was that the living spaces are all outdoors. Once nightfalls I'm unsure how you enjoy it with the Mosquitos.

I was pleasantly surprised by the soft and hard product. It was of a much higher standard than I could have anticipated. I had prepared myself for the 'resort factory' comments that some have made, but found it anything but.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I will never understand staying at a place like this in Bali when you can have a private villa and an army of staff for so cheap....however, looks nice.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:54 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The dealbreaker with Aman, Bulgari etc etc was that the living spaces are all outdoors. Once nightfalls I'm unsure how you enjoy it with the Mosquitos.

I was pleasantly surprised by the soft and hard product. It was of a much higher standard than I could have anticipated. I had prepared myself for the 'resort factory' comments that some have made, but found it anything but.
And maybe more so to your point...Aman would be completely different type of get-away as there's no TV in the room (only in the library) so it's really for those who wants to be in that environment and need to unplug.
However, I asked the team to place mosquito candles all over client's exterior space and hopefully that helped enough with it.

When we visited Kila, we actually spent a large part of the night having dinner then just hang out in the main restaurant/bar area where they had arranged some performances by the candle lit pools...really relaxing. But I can see how some would find this to be unappealing.

But it sounds like you've had an amazing trip! It's always nice to have your expectations exceeded ... That's the dream
Old May 12, 2018, 8:14 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for the report. Villa looks nice and service sounds great but definitely too large of a property for my taste. Different strokes for different folks...

Originally Posted by BESVISOR

When we visited Kila, we actually spent a large part of the night having dinner then just hang out in the main restaurant/bar area where they had arranged some performances by the candle lit pools...really relaxing. But I can see how some would find this to be unappealing.
The bamboo xylophone, light breeze, and lit pools of Amankila make for probably one of the better hotel restaurant ambiences. Truly a delightful way to end the day in paradise!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:12 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I will never understand staying at a place like this in Bali when you can have a private villa and an army of staff for so cheap....however, looks nice.
Private villas can be great. The can also be completely unreliable regardless of what any 'villa curated' agency tells you. If there's any place to do it, it's probably Bali because the general standard and level of service is so high - but that doesn't account for the nitty gritty still.
nmuva98, bhrubin and 17cc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.