Amansara and Amanoi, February 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The Villa is stunning!
Old May 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Thanks for your comments, Musken. Going all the way over and believing that I'll probably only be able to go once in my life - I would like to try to experience all I can of the area. It sounds like Tonle Sap is worth the experience, as well. How long are you on the river? Is any time of day better than another, as I believe they offer morning, afternoon or evening trips (if I'm recalling correctly from memory right now).
Old May 14, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Chancensam
Thanks for your comments, Musken. Going all the way over and believing that I'll probably only be able to go once in my life - I would like to try to experience all I can of the area. It sounds like Tonle Sap is worth the experience, as well. How long are you on the river? Is any time of day better than another, as I believe they offer morning, afternoon or evening trips (if I'm recalling correctly from memory right now).
Thanks for your response - greatly appreciated. I will probably contact Amansara and found out the details about how they fit in all those activities! It just sounds interesting to me, but if it's hot and I'm shuffling around all day long - I probably won't be so interested at that time! I would like to be able to enjoy the peace and quiet at Amansara, as well. Thanks again.
They will send you a very very detailed itinerary... I'm sure they will have everything planned out perfectly; with most of the midday sun unoccupied. It tends to be a safari type schedule...

We went at evening to see sunset. Definitely recommend.. I bet it would be nice and quieter in the morning but bear in mind it's probably about an hour drive I think to the boat... I would avoid midday...

Originally Posted by Musken
We never took advantage of the afternoon temple visits while we were there. Instead we added on cooking class, Tonle Sap, a monk blessing, massage etc. for the variation. We found that brilliant, so I would definitely want to go for the journey you mentioned. Going on two temple visits PLUS the mentioned programme every day, would be too much for us, but I am sure that they have a good idea of how to fit in everything, maybe including combining some of the activities and temple visits or shorter temple visits etc.
I agree.. the temple visits can be fairly intensive; especially the far away temples... I prefer the slower pace and think 4 days is perfect for Siem Reap.. when I was there years ago we crammed everything in in 2 days... the heat is a huge factor
Old May 14, 2018, 9:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I am pretty sure we were there in the afternoon. It was a beautiful day and we could take full advantage of the sun deck once really out on the lake. Did you say what time of year you go? We were there at the end of the rainy time which was spectacular since Tonle Sap is then many times larger than normal - was it 10 times larger??? - and could also go with a smaller boat in between the tree tops which was then just above water. I did write a separate report for this boat trip since, I think, we were the first at FT to go on it. I will see if I can find it for you for further details. They might, however, have changed the programme since it is some time ago.

Edit: The link to the report for the boat trip. I read further down that we were around 3 hours at the boat plus travel back and fourth. Must do at Amansara: cruise Tonle Sap lake with Amansaras beautiful boat
Old May 14, 2018, 9:37 am

Angkor is extremely crowded these days, especially the two main sites - Angkor Wat and The Bayon. However, Amansara try their best to take you to various outlying temples and usually you have these to yourselves. Being in a deserted temple at 6am with only birds, snakes and spiders for company is a nice way to start a day. Angkor is especially busy in the Jan-Mar season, which is said to be the driest and this also means it's incredibly dusty. I've been twice to Angkor - in 1992 and 2011 and the difference was astounding. I would happily return for a week but I would plan for something like October-November at the end of the wet season when all should be green and lush and there will be fewer visitors.

BTW, I don't personally think the pool suites are worth the extra cost and I dislike having bath-tubs in your bedroom - the one major weakness in an otherwise perfect hotel.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:00 am

I sincerely wish I could go immediately following the wet season, but my timing will be late January/early February - so busy season it will be for me. The comments about reserving a suite without the pool is sound advise that I will certainly follow. The schedule at Amansara brings back wonderful memories of my African safari trips, which have been the highlights of my travels, so I look forward to early mornings!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Angkor is extremely crowded these days, especially the two main sites - Angkor Wat and The Bayon. However, Amansara try their best to take you to various outlying temples and usually you have these to yourselves. Being in a deserted temple at 6am with only birds, snakes and spiders for company is a nice way to start a day. Angkor is especially busy in the Jan-Mar season, which is said to be the driest and this also means it's incredibly dusty. I've been twice to Angkor - in 1992 and 2011 and the difference was astounding. I would happily return for a week but I would plan for something like October-November at the end of the wet season when all should be green and lush and there will be fewer visitors.

BTW, I don't personally think the pool suites are worth the extra cost and I dislike having bath-tubs in your bedroom - the one major weakness in an otherwise perfect hotel.
It was so incredibly magical to be inside Angkor Way early in the morning with nobody there; a much marked experience than when I was there first...

I'm not normally a huge fan of bath tubs in rooms, but I think it was okay here... though the bath tub did feel like more for lounging than bathing.. always full on return from our excursions; we would come in and think yeah that does seem like a good idea...

Definitely yes on the pool suite being not worth the premium...

I sincerely wish I could go immediately following the wet season, but my timing will be late January/early February - so busy season it will be for me. The comments about reserving a suite without the pool is sound advise that I will certainly follow. The schedule at Amansara brings back wonderful memories of my African safari trips, which have been the highlights of my travels, so I look forward to early mornings!
I liked the early morning excursions and then resting during the heat of the day- I think you will too!

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.