Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Croatia?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Luxury Hotels in Croatia?

We are planning a road trip through Croatia and are looking for the best luxury hotels. We are looking at staying in Split and Dubrovnik. Wondering if Hvar is worthwhile? Any recommendations?

Last edited by lisagurl2; May 13, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old May 14, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by lisagurl2
We are planning a road trip through Croatia and are looking for the best luxury hotels. We are looking at staying in Split and Dubrovnik. Wondering if Hvar is worthwhile? Any recommendations?
The closest thing to Luxury is the Hilton Dubrovnik. We had a very nice suite overlooking the old city as Hilton has the best location in town. Service was excellent and they have a nice lounge. But it's still just a Hilton. Honorable mention for the Le Meridien Split which is probably the most luxurious, right on the beach. Lots of yacht owners drinking and dining there during the summer.

Hvar doesn't have anything remotely luxurious as far as I could find so we ended up doing Airbnb there.
Epicura likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I used to like the Hotel Adriana in Hvar, haven't been in almost 10 years though, so who knows how it is these days.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:38 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm interested in the same question. We are planning a 2019 trip. We will be driving north along the coast from Split. We've been to Split before and loved it. There are remarkable historic sites there.

Notes I've made so far:

Hyatt to open in Zadar in 2019 - but will it open by then? I have my doubts.

Hotel Lone, Roving - no idea where I found this, don't know if it is luxury

Hvar - anyone have thoughts?

Telegraph article that has suggestions for the Adriatic Coast.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 14, 2018 at 9:44 am
Old May 14, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Honorable mention for the Le Meridien Split which is probably the most luxurious, right on the beach. Lots of yacht owners drinking and dining there during the summer.
I agree with Stimpy that this is a pleasant property. It's not luxury but we had a huge suite with a magnificent view of the water that we enjoyed very much. The hotel is immediately adjacent to the harbor where there were some excellent seafood restaurants. We will return next year if we don't find a true luxury property in the area.
Epicura and bhrubin like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I agree with Stimpy that this is a pleasant property. It's not luxury but we had a huge suite with a magnificent view of the water that we enjoyed very much. The hotel is immediately adjacent to the harbor where there were some excellent seafood restaurants. We will return next year if we don't find a true luxury property in the area.
Where did I read that Le Meridien was so good with excellent Plat treatment? I can’t remember but somebody mentioned it as a wonderful property?

I have a friend living in Croatia, will ask him where we should stay. Mind that in his opinion Le Meridien is top notch
Old May 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

It was here:

Virtuoso - non-renewals for 2018
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
Where did I read that Le Meridien was so good with excellent Plat treatment?
I was a platinum when we stayed. The massive ocean front corner suite we had was thanks to status. I think the property is quite big so if I didn't have status I would want to be sure to book a room with which I would be happy.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Hi, I highly recommend the Villa Dubrovnik located about 20 minutes walking from the Old City. I thought the property absolutely stunning with very dramatic views of Dubrovnik. It is perhaps one of my most memorable stays in Europe---and that puts it in a heady group including Le Sirenuse in Positano, Villa La Massa in Florence and Hotel Grand Tremezzo on Lake Como. It is very expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. The hotel runs an authentic Venetian Vaporetto directly to the Old City many times daily. That was a delightful treat. The property also features a beautiful pool and sunning area directly on the Adriatic. We appreciated this after a long day of touring.

As far as Spilt, we stayed at the Vestibul Palace, a SLH member property. While the actual hotel itself was not that spectacular, its location INSIDE Diocletian’s Palace was unique and we thought a great experience.

I would also highly encourage you to consider visiting the Istrian Peninsula and the town of Rovinj specifically. That area was ruled for centuries by the Venetians and the Italian influence is unmistakable to this day. As pretty as many a hill town in Tuscany but at much lower cost. If you do consider adding Rovinj to your itinerary, I suggest staying at the Monti Molini just outside the main old town. It also is a very luxurious property directly on the Adriatic. We found it very good value compared to the equivalent properties in Italy.

I might add just up the coast from Split is a wonderful Croatian National Park, Krka. The waterfalls are amazing and we took a boat to an island located directly in the park. It is called Visovac Island and is home to the 15th-century Franciscan Monastery. The boat ride was fun the island was very atmospheric.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
We stayed at the exact same two hotels as wanderlustFL... Villa Dubrovnik and Vestibul Palace. We thought both were terrific.

But... make SURE you stay in the main building at Vestibul Palace; they have an annex that is NOT inside Diocletian's Palace, which sort of defeats the purpose of staying there. We were in a Luxury Suite, which was modern and spacious. The room was almost too contemporary, if not for parts of the walls being the original walls from the palace.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Based on this there don't seem to be any true luxury hotels in Croatia. The Le Meridien and the Vestibul Palace seem to be the top choices in Split. Since I want to be on the water the Vestibul Palace would be a no go. I also see there is a Radisson Blu in Split that gets decent reviews. I know asking about the Radisson in the Luxury forum is a stretch but I wonder how it compares to the LeM.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:54 am

Who has stayed at Monti Molini just outside the main old town in Rovinj? It is said to be a luxurious property directly on the Adriatic.

https://www.maistra.com/hotel-monte-mulini-rovinj
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Stimpy is right. Hilton Dubrovnik is really a good hotel in Croatia. My husband and I stayed there recently while we are on vacations. Unfortunately we only had one night there but everything was excellent - from the friendly and professional staff, through to the common areas, and the room itself. I really would like to recommend this hotel to everyone if anyone is going for vacations in Croatia.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 11, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: remove boldface
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We stayed at Villa Dubrovnik and liked it. Nice views, good location. We liked being close to the city, but not right in it as it can get very crowded during the day with all the cruise ship passengers. From there we left Croatia and drove to Montenegro where we stayed at Aman Sveti Stefan. It was a nice drive with a stop in Kotor along the way.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Good idea to bring up Montenegro. It is indeed a nice drive down there BUT there are two roads. The main road can be very jammed in the summer at the border crossings. The lesser known coastal route is a breeze.

As for luxury hotels, in addition to the Aman, the newer modern Regent Porto Montenegro is very nice. It has a deep water yacht port and there are some very wealthy guests staying there in the summer. Regent is now part of IHG too. So Montenegro has two veritable luxury hotels while Croatia has none. Funny that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.