Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

five luxury hotels in Vienna

Old May 7, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

This is the second of three reports on my recent trip to Europe. From that trip, I've previously reviewed seven hotels in Paris, and a review on three hotels in Budapest will be forthcoming. Because I was part of a large group of Brownell travel advisors visiting Vienna, there were quite a few people on each inspection, making it more difficult to get photos of the various rooms we saw.

Executive Summary. These are my opinions and pretty much represent the consensus of my colleagues.

Sacher is our top choice in the "traditional" category. Located in an historic building just off the Ring and adjacent to the Opera, the Sacher is privately owned and has undergone a very successful room renovation. I would describe the new rooms as updated traditional.

Park Hyatt is our top choice in the "contemporary" category. The hotel has a central location near St. Stephens.

Imperial would be the choice for visitors who want a taste of traditional Viennese opulence.

Bristol - I liked the Bristol Suite very much but found its regular guestrooms to be a bit lackluster ... but just for now: extensive refurbishments may be in the plans.

Ritz-Carlton. While the historical building is impressive, the contemporary guestrooms did not appeal to me, but RC is often a good option in Vienna if you're looking for value.

Hotel Sacher Wien is a privately owned hotel; the same family also owns the Hotel Sacher in Salzburg. I visited the Sacher during my previous stay in Vienna. Room renovations which were underway at that time have now been completed, and the results are quite wonderful.

I love the fact that guestrooms have real personality. This is not a cookie-cutter corporate hotel. The first photo shows a regular guest room. The wallpaper and carpeting give the room a residential feel...

... and the bedroom of this Suite is imperial in its design with high ceilings and crystal chandelier.

Park Hyatt Vienna

The guestroom we were shown at the Park Hyatt was impressive. Interiors are contemporary with interesting use of color and material. Bathrooms had dual vanities, and the rainshower was in the same glass-enclosed area as the separate soaking tub, a design often used by Park Hyatt. Our Brownell group was treated to an incredible lunch at The Bank Brasserie, a restaurant you should definitely consider while in Vienna.

In addition to creating a gorgeous contemporary room product, Park Hyatt has preserved some of the architectural grandeur of its historical building see the meeting space below, intricately restored (and then meticulously recreated after an electrical fire).

Hotel Imperial

I've stayed at Hotel Imperial during both of my visits to Vienna. During our first stay, we stayed in an Imperial Junior Suite, a spacious open floorplan accommodation which we liked quite a lot. For this stay, I was assigned a Maisonette Suite, a duplex accommodation on the hotel's top floor that I didn't love so much. Having to climb a spiral staircase just to use the desk is inconvenient, especially when you're the only guest in the room. On the plus side, the suite did have a great view of the dome of Karls Kirche out the back of the hotel. Other than the split-level aspects of the accommodation, my room had a comfortable bed, dual vanities in the bathroom, separate step-in shower and soaking tub, and WC.

We did see the Imperial Suite, the place to stay if you want to feel like an Emperor or Empress. Located on the hotel's high-ceilinged mezzanine level, staying here would be like living in a fairy tale. See this impressive canopied bed!

As I wrote above in the executive summary, Hotel Imperial offers an extraordinary sense of the grandeur of imperial Vienna during the time of the Hapsburg Empire, evidenced by this photo of the grand staircase leading up to the mezzanine.

Hotel Bristol

The Bristol is located on the Ring adjacent to the Opera House. In fact, guests staying in rooms facing the opera can watch the live simulcast of evening opera performances being broadcast on the large screen facing the square. A number of our group stayed here.

The Bristol was purchased in 2013 by the Sacher family, reportedly to prevent it from coming under Four Seasons management. Plans are in the making to do a thorough renovation once some [unspecified] issues are resolved. If Bristol eventually matches the classical elegance of the Sacher, that would be good news indeed.

In the meantime, I really liked the hotel's current Bristol Suite product, seen in the photographs below. A true suite with doors that close between the compact bedroom and really nice living room, I would describe the styling as "contemporary elegant." I found the Bristol Suite a quite pleasing and spacious room.

The living room has a large seating area with a flat-panel TV facing the sofas.

Ritz-Carlton Vienna

This hotel is the result of joining together four historic Viennese buildings on the Ring into one contemporary hotel. One gets a sense of history when in the hallways walking to your room. You may change elevations walking from one wing to another, but you'll come across great staircases and surprises like this beautiful hallway outside the pictured guestrooms. Notice the intricately carved double doors, the fireplace, and its mantle.

On the other hand, the guestrooms are quite contemporary, even minimalist, as evidenced by this photo of this [occupied] room. The hotel was otherwise fully booked, but we saw two rooms occupied by members of our group. I found the design a bit plain. It could be significantly improved by some splashes of color, perhaps in the headboard, carpeting, or on the bed. (If I recall correctly, I offered the same suggestion during my last site inspection of the hotel).

The Ritz has a very good restaurant, Dstrikt Steakhouse, and its rooftop bar offers a stunning, panoramic view over all of Vienna, a feature unmatched by the other four hotels in this report.
FlyerEC, SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:18 pm

Did you have the Sachertorte?
Old May 7, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I assiduously tried to limit my sugar and gluten intake, not with total success :-)

I actually prefer the Imperial Torte to the Sacher Torte ... but to each one's own!
bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DavidO
I actually prefer the Imperial Torte to the Sacher Torte ... but to each one's own!
Same with me
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:55 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Ritz-Carlton. While the historical building is impressive, the contemporary guestrooms did not appeal to me, but RC is often a good option in Vienna if you're looking for value.
Perfectly agree - the RC has the lowest rooms rates of all 5 options, and combined with the Virtuoso complimentary breakfast and 85 EUR hotel credit becomes a better value than most 4-star hotels in the city. Great value indeed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:05 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

And the Schloss Fuschl Torte is even better !

bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:30 pm

Thank you, DavidO, this is most helpful and timely. We are going to Vienna for 5 days in early August and I had booked us at the Park Hyatt. Seems my choice is validated by your visit. We are really looking forward to the trip. I have never been and my wife went as a 17 y.o. with her grandmother.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:29 am

Thanks for this. We are looking into a suite at the PH and are struggling to understand the differences among the multiple options. I plan to call the hotel today, but
wondered if anyone has first had experience? There are differences in view, size and it seems like the less expensive options have
uncomfortable looking curved sofas while the larger ones have proper ones. Other than that, the website photos/information are not providing enough
information to choose among them.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Thanks for this. We are looking into a suite at the PH and are struggling to understand the differences among the multiple options. I plan to call the hotel today, but
wondered if anyone has first had experience? There are differences in view, size and it seems like the less expensive options have
uncomfortable looking curved sofas while the larger ones have proper ones. Other than that, the website photos/information are not providing enough
information to choose among them.
I would forget about Park Junior Suites (rebranded rooms for upgrade/cost-cutting/loyalty program reasons), Park Suites (boring) and Park Deluxe Suites (large, sans view) and focus on either a Park View Suite (very much of the place and with a gorgeous bathroom spanning the whole length of the suite), Ambassador Suite or Diplomat Suite. Ambassador Suites used to be called Belle Epoque Suites and are considered a favorite by many, Diplomat Suites are even a bit larger. Depending on your budget, these three options will certainly be the best. Personally I find Ambassador Suites to be the most desirable.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by scented
I would forget about Park Junior Suites (rebranded rooms for upgrade/cost-cutting/loyalty program reasons), Park Suites (boring) and Park Deluxe Suites (large, sans view) and focus on either a Park View Suite (very much of the place and with a gorgeous bathroom spanning the whole length of the suite), Ambassador Suite or Diplomat Suite. Ambassador Suites used to be called Belle Epoque Suites and are considered a favorite by many, Diplomat Suites are even a bit larger. Depending on your budget, these three options will certainly be the best. Personally I find Ambassador Suites to be the most desirable.
This is exactly the kind of information I needed.....their website really makes the selection challenging. I was drawn to the Ambassador Suite for no particular reason,
but now I am comfortable booking it. Thanks so much.
scented and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do agencies publish upgrades from ambassador to presidential or park suite view to diplomat ?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do agencies publish upgrades from ambassador to presidential or park suite view to diplomat ?
Park Suite View to Diplomat/Ambassador definitely can happen, although varies greatly based on own loyalty program and more importantly, history with individual property. They upsell as well and are quite generous in this regard.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:24 pm

I absolutely love Hotel Sacher Wien. Its the only choice for me there really, but I would not say no to a reasonable enough deal on the Imperial Suite at the Imperial hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I absolutely love Hotel Sacher Wien. Its the only choice for me there really, but I would not say no to a reasonable enough deal on the Imperial Suite at the Imperial hotel.
We actually stayed in this suite years ago and didn't really like it. It was huge, full of stuff yet felt odd and empty.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We had an absolutely spectacular stay in an Imperial Suite at the Hotel Imperial in Oct 2017. Our suite was beautiful and spacious—and with amazing sense of place and air con! (Yes, there also was lots of unoccupied space, but I didn’t mind.) Service was off-the-charts amazing, equal to the best at any Aman at which we’ve ever stayed. Food/beverage were tremendous, as well, including an incredible breakfast spread and a Michelin Star for Opus.

Our Hotel Imperial stay was so spectacular, it qualifies as one of our (now 14) best hotel stays of all-time. My review is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198

We also had a chance to check out the Park Hyatt and Hotel Sacher. My comparison review summary between the Imperial, Sacher, and PH is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-contrast-2206

Originally Posted by Mickidon
This is exactly the kind of information I needed... I was drawn to the Ambassador Suite for no particular reason,
but now I am comfortable booking it.
I have photos of the Ambassador Suite in the comparison review above!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 29, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.