Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Maldives Recs for 2019 trip

Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:57 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Flyer13500
Hi-
Planning a long trip to Maldives for our anniversary next December....

Currently planning to arrive Maldives at 330pm on 12/3 and then do the transfer to StR (OvW) and as of now am booked there til 12/8.

We are scheduled to leave Male on 12/11.

My question is:

Would you change rooms and stay at StR the entire stay or go to another resort to change it up? If switching, which resorts would be less of a pain to switch to that are still at that top tier level?

Are any great places transferable by boat instead of seaplane for a reasonable price?
We actually did a similar trip in 2017. We were going to do 4 nights at ST. Regis then 3 nights at Four Seasons Kuda Huraa...Wanted to change things up and once at FS, taking the boat transfer to MLE was going to be very easy on the date of departure for home.

Long story short, we ended up staying at St. Regis because of schedule issues but I think going to FS for 3 nights could make sense for you as well. Their renovated overwater villa are much better than it was previously and of course the FS team is great FSPP often has great promotions as well. i.e. at the moment, booking a stay through a FSPP Advisor will provide guests a $500 credit to be used but for 4 nights min. valid through Dec 20.

Not sure what your budget is but another thought would be to scratch St. Regis entirely and go to Cheval Blanc. As your trip concludes by 12/11, they should still be offering the stay 7 pay 5 + early bird special. I can't tell you how often I have clients who thought CB would be out of their budget but once factored both promotions (stackable) it can actually be much more affordable (but timing does matter).

Last edited by BESVISOR; Mar 6, 2019 at 6:09 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:48 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Originally Posted by atanasova
Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker
I am trying to find a place for our anniversary in February 2020. Ideally, we want an island villa that will be secluded (think swimming in the pool without people taking a peek), but for the right resort willing to get something else.
I am trying to get 7 nights for 10k USD and have a quote from Six Senses Laamu for that in their Lagoon Beach Villas. Do you think that is a good choice? Any other resorts you would recommend taking a look at? Is there even a chance to get CB close-ish to that price if we book this early?
Definitely check out Kandolhu. Small and intimate, only 30 villas total on the island and within your budget. You can also choose the all-inclusive package which was a great deal IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by reinmedia
Definitely check out Kandolhu. Small and intimate, only 30 villas total on the island and within your budget. You can also choose the all-inclusive package which was a great deal IMO.
Thank you for the suggestion, but we don't really like all-inclusive options/resorts. We usually find that the quality of food is quite low in such places and we feel "forced" to eat multiple times to justify it (we usually have one-two large meals per day at most).

This is going to be our first trip to the Maldives and our 5 year wedding anniversary, so I want something special.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the suggestion, but we don't really like all-inclusive options/resorts. We usually find that the quality of food is quite low in such places and we feel "forced" to eat multiple times to justify it (we usually have one-two large meals per day at most).

This is going to be our first trip to the Maldives and our 5 year wedding anniversary, so I want something special.
Don't confuse an "all inclusive" resort with a luxury hotel that offers a "meal inclusive" option. I've never been to the former and, like you, would likely never consider it. But the latter can be a good buy when offered in a place where there is no other alternative than to eat at the resort. I did a meal inclusive package at both Amans in India in 2018, for example, and I am very glad that I did.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Don't confuse an "all inclusive" resort with a luxury hotel that offers a "meal inclusive" option. I've never been to the former and, like you, would likely never consider it. But the latter can be a good buy when offered in a place where there is no other alternative than to eat at the resort. I did a meal inclusive package at both Amans in India in 2018, for example, and I am very glad that I did.
There are also true luxury all inclusive resorts, such as Twin Farms, Four Seasons Golden Triangle, et. al. Also, there are some resorts that have all inclusive rate packages, especially for certain suites or at the highest peak season rates. Not only are three meals included, but there also is no charge for f&b at all other times, or for included activities and services.

Most mass market all inclusive resorts deservedly have a reputation for being a bit lowbrow and for serving watered down drinks, etc... However, if all inclusive is done right at a high-end hotel or resort, it is very nice to be able to have essentially whatever one wants without the need to look at prices.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:24 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Same here. Would never had considered it. They have 4 a-la-carte restaurants for 60 people max, including a 6-seat teppanyaki restaurant with 2 seatings per night. No buffets, many options, and the food is expensive on its own. Most would consider the head chef to be Michelin star worthy.

The only reason we chose the all-inclusive is because each room comes with a 30 bottle wine fridge that they refill each night and is part of the package. I encourage you to have a look at the property and read the reviews on Trip Advisor, it's definitely not what you think with "all-inclusive"
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Just came back from COMO Maalifushi and it was great! The only thing on my mind right now is going somewhere similar again. Great snorkelling, great beach, great accomodation. Any recommendations, can be anywhere in the world, sub 2k USD / night?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:33 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Lambi
Just came back from COMO Maalifushi and it was great! The only thing on my mind right now is going somewhere similar again. Great snorkelling, great beach, great accomodation. Any recommendations, can be anywhere in the world, sub 2k USD / night?
Not necessarily great snorkeling, but otherwise Amanpulo (especially with potential upgrades to beach casita).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
[QUOTE=Lambi;30880890]Just came back from COMO Maalifushi and it was great! The only thing on my mind right now is going somewhere similar again. Great snorkelling, great beach, great accomodation. Any recommendations, can be anywhere in the world, sub 2k USD / night?[/QUOTE

The obvious answer is Como Cocoa Island. I am just back and absolutely loved it. Sophisticated and understated without any hint of bling. Really excellent food, wine and service and, most importantly, the most unbelievably beautiful lagoon. I think you really need one of the one bedroom villas here, because the other suites have close up views of other islands - the location a mere 45 minute boat ride from Male means it's a busier part of the Maldives than where Como Maalifushi is located. Our butler Muru spoiled us completely for 6 days and we would go back in a heartbeat.
FlyerEC, scented, bhrubin and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=Londonjetsetter;30881773]
Originally Posted by Lambi
Just came back from COMO Maalifushi and it was great! The only thing on my mind right now is going somewhere similar again. Great snorkelling, great beach, great accomodation. Any recommendations, can be anywhere in the world, sub 2k USD / night?[/QUOTE

The obvious answer is Como Cocoa Island. I am just back and absolutely loved it. Sophisticated and understated without any hint of bling. Really excellent food, wine and service and, most importantly, the most unbelievably beautiful lagoon. I think you really need one of the one bedroom villas here, because the other suites have close up views of other islands - the location a mere 45 minute boat ride from Male means it's a busier part of the Maldives than where Como Maalifushi is located. Our butler Muru spoiled us completely for 6 days and we would go back in a heartbeat.
The look didn't really appeal to me, but perhaps the one bedroom villas do! And very interesting:
"COMO Cocoa Island will be closed for an extensive upgrade from May 1st 2019. We will reopen on November 1st 2019. During this time, we regret that we will be unable to accommodate any bookings. Should you still wish to travel to the Maldives, the team at our sister property COMO Maalifushiwill be more than happy to accommodate you."

Anyone know what they'll be upgrading?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:13 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Hi all,

Want to provide a data point on the fairly new Kudadoo as there's not much out there. It's a luxury proerpty that's all inclusive. Food and beverages, activities and even with unlimited Spa treatments

Had booked a client there 2 weeks ago and they had the below feedback to share (clients had been to Cheval Blanc, previously):

"...It was an amazing experience at Kudadoo. The staff were so friendly, caring and helpful in every way. There were not much guests so we had the whole place to ourselves. The staff catered to my insect phobia so the fumigated the room twice which helped me sleep peacefully.

The food was delicious from the menu, we also had the Italian, Spanish and chef gourmet night which was really nice. What topped it off was the last night there where we had a special Indian dinner made by the chef one of the best Indian food I’ve ever had.

We also went to the other island and experienced the underwater restaurant. Which was nice.

The spa was so relaxing and they had a variety of treatments that we were able to choose on the spot.

The only two things that I would point out are:
The seaplane was really cramped and very hot.
The dream island that they took us was a bit boring there was nothing just a table with chairs and beach furniture with shade. We had a picnic. We kind of had high expectations for that one.

I would go back and recommend kudadoo for sure as the overall experience was great. A much needed trip to zone out and chill..."

Hope this will be helpful to someone!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Gili Lankanfushi has been my "go-to" resort in the Maldives. I know it is not the newest or flashiest place, but I appreciate the warm and gracious service, along with the peace and quiet. As you are likely aware, Gili is currently closed, due to the fire a few months ago. In the interim, I am ready to try something different. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better...Joali or Kudadoo? Both are charging similar prices for their largest one-bedroom overwater suites, though Joali is half-board and Kudadoo is all-inclusive. Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:51 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Svevo
Gili Lankanfushi has been my "go-to" resort in the Maldives. I know it is not the newest or flashiest place, but I appreciate the warm and gracious service, along with the peace and quiet. As you are likely aware, Gili is currently closed, due to the fire a few months ago. In the interim, I am ready to try something different. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better...Joali or Kudadoo? Both are charging similar prices for their largest one-bedroom overwater suites, though Joali is half-board and Kudadoo is all-inclusive. Thank you.
Hope my post directly above yours is a bit helpful regarding feedback on Kudadoo.
It was good enough for my clients who previously stayed at Cheval Blanc but was just looking for something different and great value. And I'd say Kudadoo's "true" all inclusive is great! Spa treatments alone could easily be $600/day (it's unlimited), if you enjoy the spa
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thank you. Yes, the feedback is quite helpful. As with some of the others who commented earlier, I hadn't considered all-inclusive properties at first, but Kudadoo seems to tick all of the boxes for a seamless (luxurious) experience.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:56 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Svevo
Thank you. Yes, the feedback is quite helpful. As with some of the others who commented earlier, I hadn't considered all-inclusive properties at first, but Kudadoo seems to tick all of the boxes for a seamless (luxurious) experience.
Hope you'll have a great time regardless where you end up but if it's Kudadoo, would love to hear your experience as well upon return and see if consistency is their game

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.