FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Southeast Asia for a few weeks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1907863-southeast-asia-few-weeks.html)

SFOwantToFly May 5, 2018 8:12 pm

Southeast Asia for a few weeks?

I’m going to Southeast Asia for ~25 days, starting from SIN and I plan to hit Bali. I’m looking for some feedback on my plan for Bali. I’m also hoping to get some suggestions of other areas in the region (~3-5 hour flight) worth visiting. I’ve been to HKG and SIN before and had a blast. I was considering Taipei since there is a music festival there I was considering going to but I’d be willing to bail on that for something better. I’m looking for places (have about 8 days to use) that are luxurious, great for memories, or a wow factor; not really looking for another beach / resort place. Its just me going solo on this trip.

Currently for Bali my plan is:
7 days in Bali at Amandari and Amankila. I’ve never stayed at an Aman but from the threads it seems like Aman is a lot better than FS, STR and Chedi Club etc. I’m not sure If I should try to add Amanjiwo to the list with the amount of time I have, or if something else should get added / removed. Looking to spend <750 a night (somewhat flexible).

Thanks for any advice.

FlyerEC May 6, 2018 2:38 am

Amankila will be superb , possibly twin with Amanusa Villas since Amanusa is no more . You can swing by Dari for lunch from Kila or perhaps stay overnight / 2 nights if you do not being woken up by cockerels crowing / dogs barking pre dawn .
But Jiwo will be lovely too if you are alright with another flight or even Wana .
When are you planning your trip ?
Amans are definitely great for memories ! :)

SFOwantToFly May 6, 2018 2:44 am

Can't believe in all my editing of my post I pulled the dates. The current plan is Bali ~ Sept 1 -> 8th, but will be in the general region from Sept 1 -> 25th.

I checked out Amanusa Villas but they seem to price about 2.5k, which is definitely way over my budget (sadly)

FlyerEC May 6, 2018 3:08 am

Originally Posted by SFOwantToFly (Post 29720873)
Can't believe in all my editing of my post I pulled the dates. The current plan is Bali ~ Sept 1 -> 8th, but will be in the general region from Sept 1 -> 25th.

I checked out Amanusa Villas but they seem to price about 2.5k, which is definitely way over my budget (sadly)

Well , we will be at the Villas in a month & can find out more .
That ’ ll be for the whole villa but it is only you travelling from your earlier post !
Welcome to pm me

DavidO May 6, 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by SFOwantToFly (Post 29720264)
I’m not sure If I should try to add Amanjiwo to the list with the amount of time I have, or if something else should get added / removed.

I say a definite "yes" for Amanjiwo. The best thing about being in Java is that it's not overrun by western tourists as Bali is. We found that the local people were as interested in meeting us as we were in meeting them.

Ozchinois May 7, 2018 12:54 am

I love the Chedi Club. There are many interesting destinations in SEA like Bangkok, Siem Reap, Penang, Vietnam etc.

chinmoylad May 7, 2018 1:12 am

I’m going to Southeast Asia for ~25 days, starting from SIN and I plan to hit Bali. I’m looking for some feedback on my plan for Bali. I’m also hoping to get some suggestions of other areas in the region (~3-5 hour flight) worth visiting. I’ve been to HKG and SIN before and had a blast. I was considering Taipei since there is a music festival there I was considering going to but I’d be willing to bail on that for something better. I’m looking for places (have about 8 days to use) that are luxurious, great for memories, or a wow factor; not really looking for another beach / resort place. Its just me going solo on this trip.

7 days in Bali at Amandari and Amankila. I’ve never stayed at an Aman but from the threads it seems like Aman is a lot better than FS, STR and Chedi Club etc. I’m not sure If I should try to add Amanjiwo to the list with the amount of time I have, or if something else should get added / removed. Looking to spend <750 a night (somewhat flexible).

Thanks for any advice.

I like Amandari, but I reckon you'd be better off dropping it and swapping in the Chedi Club, and also a big YES to Amanjiwo.

If preferred, you could also skip staying at Ubud entirely and do a day visit from Amankila and choose to work it in that way instead.

0bsidian May 7, 2018 5:49 am

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 29722482)
I say a definite "yes" for Amanjiwo. The best thing about being in Java is that it's not overrun by western tourists as Bali is. We found that the local people were as interested in meeting us as we were in meeting them.

Indeed!

My girlfriend and I were stopped by a giggling group of schoolgirls who politely asked whether they could take our picture because they had never seen a mixed race couple before (caucasian and asian in our case). Sounds awkward by western standards when written, but it actually was a very funny experience :D

ajca May 18, 2018 2:20 am

Thanks for any advice.

I did a similar length stay at Amankila and Amandari last year and absolutely loved it. I would personally choose 3 nights at Kila and 4 nights at Dari as there is more to do culturally in Ubud (incredible restaurants - book Locavore ahead!) It's quite a nice drive between them.

Amandari gets mixed views on this forum but for me it is an incredibly special place and for sure my favourite place in Ubud (and I have spend a lot of time in Ubud and stayed at Ritz Carlton Mandapa, Chedi Club etc).

Only caveat for Amandari is make sure you get a Pool Suite overlooking the Sayan valley, which your TA should be able to help with a Virtuoso upgrade from the category below.

Unless you're really looking to save money I would not choose Chedi Club over a Pool Suite at Amandari any day.

Kagehitokiri May 18, 2018 12:58 pm

aman rates were about halved, while chedi rates are up from their lows.
while amandari is let down by GM, point was never shiny hard product.
personally, only top ubud hotel villas would draw me away from dari.
but many amanjunkies here do FS and shambhala for various reasons.
seem to recall the recommendation here has always been : kila + jiwo

great post ajca, level of detail makes forum great.
there are posts here comparing dari pool suites

BESVISOR May 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Piling on that Kila is a special Aman...that said, I'd allocate 4 nights (min) at Kila..we stayed 3 and it wasn't nearly enough.

We were actually planning to return to Kila this July but in the very end, opted for Amanfayun in Hangzhou to try a new Aman...but someday!!!

Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy!

bhrubin May 30, 2018 6:34 am

We really liked Amandari...but I agree with others that Ubud as a day trip from Amankila is more than sufficient. (We went and had lunch at Amandari, in fact, while staying at Amankila.) I also reiterate that you should include Amanjiwo if at all possible, both to get a much less touristed and non-Western/non-Bali experience on Java as much as to experience the wonder that is Jiwo. The fact that you get to see Borobodur Temple is just extra icing. A world wonder IMO. We did 3 nights Jiwo and 4 nights Kila. Wasn't enough time for us at Jiwo...

chinmoylad May 30, 2018 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29808681)
We really liked Amandari...but I agree with others that Ubud as a day trip from Amankila is more than sufficient. (We went and had lunch at Amandari, in fact, while staying at Amankila.) I also reiterate that you should include Amanjiwo if at all possible, both to get a much less touristed and non-Western/non-Bali experience on Java as much as to experience the wonder that is Jiwo. The fact that you get to see Borobodur Temple is just extra icing. A world wonder IMO. We did 3 nights Jiwo and 4 nights Kila. Wasn't enough time for us at Jiwo...

+1 on this. 3 nights isn't really enough at Jiwo you'd ideally do more - and if you're big into hiking and many more local/cultural excursions, then you could easily do 5 nights at Jiwo.